Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacing A 2008 2.2 Tdci Engine Injector & Pump Question

guairek

Hi All

I decided to replace the engine in my 2008 2.2 TDci (PSA variant) SMax TiT due to a cylinder head fault from an overheat. Does anyone know if I need to swap the Injectors & Pump from the old engine to the Donor engine or will the ECU accomadate the changed hardware? If they don't need to be swapped does any ECU re-programming need to be done?

Thanks and merry Christmas to you all.

Guaire

they are coded to the ecu so swap them ,make sure you put the injectors into the same clynder position as they came from.

the 2.0 pump do not need coding in so i would presume the 2.2 is the same unless somebody knows different.

Hi

The replacement engine looks the same but has different engine mounts etc. Does anyone know how to check the engine number to find out what it came out of?

Thanks

Guaire

• 2 months later...

Cheers for the replies. I got a replacement 2.2 from a 2009 & its in and programmed up. It doesn't have any fuel preasure at the rail though. I am on my 4th mechanic one being a senior tech from ford with all the gadgets, they all say its ready to go but won't fire up. It will briefly start with the help of some easy start in the inlet (I think it was) though. Any ideas? I am thinking cam position sensors myself, anyone know the location as I have my old lump to hand, maybe swap them over? We have tried two pumps & two sets of injectors old and new. The only error that comes up is no cam signal, all 4 said it was due to no fuel rail preasure present. Not sure if this makes any difference but while the car was parked up, some git drained all the diesel from it. We had refill and bleed it to get it to come through. Anyone got any ideas why no fuel preassure to 2nd pump?

Thanks

Guaire

The engine will run on EZ start for a few seconds without working injectors or a diesel supply (the EZ start is the fuel)

The trouble with gadgets and gismos is they are too hi-tech, and you sometimes get carried away with fault codes etc

Th fault could be very simple, you have to go back to basics, and ask is the fuel getting through? - why not - is it connected to the filter etc the right way - are the send / return lines switched? - trace the lines back to the tank and go through everything one- by- one methodically, and eliminate wat it ISNT

make a gravity-fed diesel tank (out of a bottle or funnel or something) directly to the pump with one of the common rail unions cracked to see if the pump is pumping

Watch you don't flood the cylinders

Was the "new" engine running before you got it/ do you know its history?

Hi Foca

The new engine, going on the word of the breakers here. Came from a 2009, LHD, Polish Origin, 2.2 Smax Titanium that had be rolled, having covered 20k. The breaker Goldseal aka Universal Car parts‏ in London is trying to dig out the Reg as proof. No didn't here it running. I am told we are getting a max of 10psi and I am told it needs to be 300psi ish.

What has been tried so far. Swapped injectors from old engine to new, complete with pump, fuel rail & fuel filter. From what I saw the return & supply lines are different sizes so can't be mixed up. Am I looking at the wrong thing? Recoded ECU using Launch x431 2008 update onwards, reads vehicle code as 3g3a32-12k532-dl, the k could be an x though as its hard to read.

Tried gravity feeding the with no luck. Any idea what the low preasure pump and high preasure pump should be opperating at preasure wise?

Tried pull start with no affect

Tried ez start, starts briefly. I think this proves its not flooded? doesn't it?

Suggestions I have been given to try:

Get one or both sets of injectors checked by specilists. told if these are not opereating properly they will not signal draw fuel.

Check fuel rail preasure sensor.

Fuel rail preasure release vale stuck or dirty on both. mainfests it self as: prevent fuel delivery being signaled.

Flywheel at fault, misalligned etc. mainfests it self as: wouldn't request fuel. I would say read herring as it would at some stage request fuel so preasure would build to required level.

The plan going forward. Saturday, get access to fuel tank pump and see if its working. If it is work my way back up to the rail to see if Diesel is being supplied all the way to the HP pump.

After refitting the engine i noticed one single wire four pin connector on the loom loose near the HP pump. I spent 2 hours looking for where this could be from but couldn't find an empty connector to receive it. I could do with a diagram or similar to eliminate this as a cause, if any one has one.

As you can tell I'm not a mechanic, so sorry for any incorrect terms or references.

Thanks in advance

Guaire

Ok so the injectors have to match the ECU and be put back in the same cylinders as before, could the overheat have damaged these (original) injectors?

Im not familiar with the PSA engine, but i know the rail runs at a very high pressure, the input of the lift pump at a low (close to atmospheric) pressure and the output of the lift pump/ input of the main pump is somewhere in between (low compared to the rail pressure) - some designs do not have a seperate lift pump and rely on the main pump

On an older design there would be fuel pressure all the time, that is why a return line was (is) nessesary to return the exess fuel that was pumped round and not used - the high pressure (common) rail fed all (4) cylinders,(common to all cylinders) the pump/s were quite basic/ simple just suppling high pressure diesel to the common rail, the clever/ complex bit was done by the injectors which controlled the (individual) delivery of fuel to each of the cylinders, which in turn was controlled by the ECU

Obviously that is a simplification, but a phisical blockage/ airlock in the fuel line or it not being connected could stop the engine running

I believe the electronic turbo actuator may have to be coded to your cars ECU, perhaps if you fit all the electronic parts (sensors etc) off your old engine, just in case they are different, so they are all the ones that were on your old engine

There are often extra plugs/ sockets on looms, often the base model has the same loom as the top model with all the junk(oops i mean goodies) so all the bits to connect the extra stuff is on all the looms produced, ditto for different kit/ specs for different countries, all the looms on a given model may be identical - same goes for the Shell, one Shell is made with all the holes drilled for stuff that isnt always there - its so "specal" shells don't have to be made, to reduce production costs, your extra connector may be somthing like that (or it could also be something important/ hard to tell )

the only other thing i can think of is to connect a 12v feed directly to the lift pump, to check its pumping fuel/ to bring the fuel up

some people fit clear plastic lines from the filter to the main pump (low pressure side) to check its bled

ive got a horrible feeling its something stupid/ simple that has been overlooked

Unfortunately with me not being familiar with the PSA engine, and this not bieng my area of expertise - i don't think i can help much

• 2 months later...

This engine swap is prooving to be a nightmare. I am still stuck and now don't know what to do. Is there anyone out there who has done an engine swap on one of these?

Thanks

Guaire