Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yes The Car's In Warrenty Sir, But That'll Be £900.

2011fiesta

Well after cutting his losses and getting rid of his disastrous corsa a few years back in favour for a Fiesta 1.4 TDCi, my dad has been landed with an eye-watering bill before christmas.

He's a driving instructor and recently him and his pupils have noticed his fiesta doesn't have that burst of power when accelerating when the turbo would usually kick in. Basically his mechanic friend had a look and confirmed the turbo needed replacing and said to take it to a dealership as its still in warrently (2.5yrs old / 52,000 miles).

So spoke to his dealership friend who agreed the turbo had gone and said they'd have to send pics to Ford for them to approve the work under warrenty - however Ford have replied saying it isn't a manufacturing fault so it'll be £900 to replace.

Obviously this isn't what we need on a nearly new car, at christmas, the quietiest time of year work-wise.

Can anyone reccomend any cheaper non-ford replacements suitable for his fiesta please?

Also has anyone had this issue before?

Cheers

Paul

And what evidence do Ford have to prove it's NOT a manufacturing fault? They've only seen a photo! Stand your case, don't back down and get it done under warranty.

And what evidence do Ford have to prove it's NOT a manufacturing fault? They've only seen a photo! Stand your case, don't back down and get it done under warranty.

Thats what I thought but he said his dealer friend said Ford never really change their mind

???

Can anyone recommend any turbocharger suppliers?

If you are a member of the AA or RAC their legal department may be able to help. A warranty is a warranty and the part should be replaced by Ford FOC, providing the fault is not down to misuse.

Dig up the contact number for Ford's main customer service office, nothing spurs them like a direct call from customers.

If nothing else, your local dealers will get a spark up their arses.

Customer Relationship Centre: 020 3564 4444

Ford Customer Services

Julie Reid,

Ford Customer Relationship Manager,

Ford Motor Company,

P.O. Box 7597,

Daventry,

NN11 1DL

If its not a manufacturing fault, what is it? Are they saying the warranty on Turbo's is only valid for 50,000 miles? Or are they saying you damaged it somehow? As usual they appear to be talking out of their rectums.

i can give you a few turbo suppliers... but I tend to agree with everyone here that its in warranty...

It's definitely covered under warranty as it isn't a consumable like a bulb or break pad; if the vehicle is under warranty then they have to replace it. If you're with the RAC or AA, or have legal advice as part of any bank account, get in touch asap as Ford will try and drag it out until after the warranty is finished. Unfortunately if you replace the part yourself you're not entitled to a claim and they'll write off a hefty chunk of the car's warranty if you don't let them do it.

Warranty should cover the part if it's knackered, as long its been serviced as req'd and not low on oil when they checked the car, how on earth can they tell why it failed from a picture? Barstewards.

Thanks everyone, we'll get onto Ford Customer Services on Monday, and I'll ask my Dad if he's part of AA/RAC too.

Ford better help us out here coz after this too I'm loosing faith in them. *Inserts swear word*

And cheers Dave/TDCiST - I'll see where we get with Ford first.

Cheers guys.

thats ok bud, i just hope it gets sorted under warranty!!

thats ok bud, i just hope it gets sorted under warranty!!

You're not the only one lol - i just can't be bothered with this cr*p, its christmas!

Yes - stick to your guns and quote the Supply of Goods Act to Ford - threaten court action if necessary. It is really disappointing that Ford have taken this attitude - mention broadcasting and publicising their lack of cooperation, bad publicity is something they won't like. Also mention moving to another make next time.if this isn't sorted. Good suggestion that, getting the AA or RAC legal dept. to help if you are a member.

also contact someone like auto express they seem to hold a bit of clout over the stealers.

Will do, gonna be after Christmas now tho. Thanks for all the useful advice

Well I rang Ford Customer Relations earlier today and the operator said she would have thought that would have been covered by warrenty but she wasn't the expert so put me through to the customer relations head office.

Spoke to another lady who took all the details and put me on hold while she rang my dealership.

She then confirmed that the dealer said "they took photos and sent them to Ford's warrenty department for approval, but they rejected the issue as said it was not due to a manufacturing fault - so therefore quoted the price for a Ford replacement etc which was £900.00".

I said yeah I know this, thats what they told us, what I'm confused about is why it isn't covered by warrenty - the cars less that 3 years old, got around 52,000 miles on it and owned by a 60+ year old driving instructor, not some boy racer who trashes it about.

(I had FOC open to use like a script while on the phone and said);

So are you saying the warranty on Turbo's is only valid for 50,000 miles, or are you saying we have damaged it somehow? Because the Supply of Goods Act states: "Goods supplied by traders must be 'as described', 'fit for their purpose' and of 'satisfactory quality'. Basically, they should be safe, durable and free from faults or defects. If a trader breaches these laws then you could have a right to a refund, repair or replacement".

Warranty should cover the part as it's not been durable and of a satisfactory quality to last til the end of the car's warrenty, (and the cars been serviced as required and looked after). I wouldn't have thought the turbo would be classed as comsumable part like pads or bulbs?

She said well I understand how you feel but at the moment all we know is the warrently section rejected it as it wasn't a manufacturing issue, but as this isn't much of a responce for a customer I'll contact the warrenty team for some more information - however their initial decison is very rarely overturned.

So she took my contact details and gave me a reference number and contact number and said she'll call back in a day or two.

I added that I was really disappointed that Ford were trying to wipe their hands of our issue again, as they've also done with a problem on our other fiesta, and that I was losing faith in the brand and couldn't see us purchasing from them again.

I mentioned seeking legal advise through our bank or breakdown recovery and she said well that would be entirely up to yourself (as I knew they'd say - but just wanted to drop that in there anyway).

(I was calm and polite throughout the call by the way, and the lady was nice to deal with, but we'll see what response her return phone call brings).

I'll probaly put this in writting to them too as the helpful things above you guys told me to say won't have been noted or recorded on a call. Working in customer services myself at the moment, I know a complaint by letter can often hold a little more weight than a phone call.

Cheers again, I'll keep you's updated.

Paul :unsure:

You are doing all the correct things to resolve this dispute with Ford. Good luck.

Essential that you put your complaint in writing and keep a copy of course. Be polite as you have already been.

Just a thought Paul, but I wonder if they might try and wriggle out of it by arguing that because it's a driving instructor's car, it suffers a higher level of abuse and therefore not their problem? I don't know if that is a valid argument, but it might be worth checking the small print of the warranty in case there is a clause that states something about normal usage.

I'm sure they'll use any excuse they can not to stump up for warranty work so just make sure you do know the ins and outs the warranty... and good luck :)

Yeah, I'll check that out too, thanks.

Why can't we just win the lottery and get a new car

you dont need to,you just want them to honour the warranty they have given on the car.

dunno if there is a dedicated forum on the net for your car?but try searching to see if the problem has been posted before,

i always thought no matter what,if the car is serviced when necessary then its covered?regardless of mileage incurred in a short time.

Just a thought Paul, but I wonder if they might try and wriggle out of it by arguing that because it's a driving instructor's car, it suffers a higher level of abuse and therefore not their problem? I don't know if that is a valid argument, but it might be worth checking the small print of the warranty in case there is a clause that states something about normal usage.

I'm sure they'll use any excuse they can not to stump up for warranty work so just make sure you do know the ins and outs the warranty... and good luck :)

Worth checking but unlikely I would have thought. Ford would be implying that that the Fiesta is not a good car for driving schools which we know is far from true. They would definitely want to keep that under their hat so the more publicity you can give this case the better.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club