4 replies to this topic

#1 dave65

dave65

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: focus mk1

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

hi
my wife has a 2001 1.6 mk 1 foucus and the abs light and the traction control light are on, the hand brake light is also on but not all the time, i was driving it today and the lights all when out until i stopped the car and when i started it again there was a buzzing from the abs unit and i could feel it through the brakes.
i've checked all the fuses and they are fine, i've heard about faults with the instrument cluster but i'm thinking it sounds more like a sensor fault.
is it possible to check the sensors with a multi meter, or can any one recomend a fault code reader or a lead with software for a laptop that would work with my car that is not to expensive, thanks :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 13,906 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

May I suggest that first you give the brakes a good hard blasting with a jet wash, it's highly likely that the sensors are full of crap and dust.
Has the car been driven through any standing water recently or parked up for a few days in heavy rain?
Contamination of the brake pads and calipers can cause bad sensor signals or dirty water can get into the connectors.

#3 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,578 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

is the brake fluid level ok? just my first concern as the handbrake light will illuminate if the fluid is low

#4 dave65

dave65

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: focus mk1

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

checked the fluid level and it's fine, the connector looks ok ,the abs and traction lights are on pretty much all the time , the handbrake is not on at the moment but was on yesterday and the day before.
i will give the sensors a good clean first and check the conectors then before i look further into it, it has been parked up heavy rain as the car lives outside and it's been pouring down for the last couple of days.

#5 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,578 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

checked the fluid level and it's fine, the connector looks ok ,the abs and traction lights are on pretty much all the time , the handbrake is not on at the moment but was on yesterday and the day before.
i will give the sensors a good clean first and check the conectors then before i look further into it, it has been parked up heavy rain as the car lives outside and it's been pouring down for the last couple of days.

theres a good chance its water ingress

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users