Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stalk Controls Mk1

autofocus

Hi folks, newbie to the forum and indeed driving a ford, having been an avid vauxhall driver im so glad to have made the jump from 2005 astra h 1.6 to 2000 focus 1.6 lx, the drive is so much sweeter. dont ask me why or how. best decision i ever made reguarding cars.

anyhoo, i transplanted the pioneer avh-2400bt from my astra used this kit:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290468712580?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

i can get power to the unit no problem, wired it all in didnt have memory so swapped the red and yellow wires around, perfect after that. only i cannot get the stalk controls to work, i seen in the guide to fitting aftermarket head unit that there was a sequence to fitting the harness ie: fit harness to stereo then fit jack to stereo then connect harness to the patch lead, i only seen this guide after fitting and never done it in this order, would this be the problem? or any other ideas?

also as well i dont fancy paying 50 quid for the fascia kit is there a good guide to modding your own or know where i can get the fascia cheaper? sorry for the long post and many thanks....... :)

I'm assuming the guide you are referring to is the one I wrote?

With my stalk control adaptor instructions, it came with a note saying about the order you connect it up.

However even though I connected it this way, for the life of me I still couldn't get the stalk controls to work. But in the end it turned out the problem was never the stalk controls adaptor, but a loose wire on the wiring loom supplied in the fitting kit.

It was this yellow wire

2012-12-11220748.jpg

Basically it wasn't pushed all the way in as there was a mm of copper wire sticking out, I pushed it in n my stalk controls worked instantly.

However this probably isn't the same problem for you.

Looking at the eBay link to the fitting kit, it says its for galaxy mondeo, doesn't ,mention focus. Maybe you've ordered the wrong patch lead?

The fitting kit does look completely different to the one I used in my focus, and I fitted pretty much the same head unit as you.

yes indeed it was yourself that the guide i seen, top notch. if you scroll a bit further down:

The following vehicles are supported with Steering Controls:

• Ford Focus : 1998 to 2005
    • Ford Galaxy : 2000 to 2006
      • Ford Mondeo : 2000 to 2003

• I also gave him my details ie make model etc and the stereo it was fitting into. i'll have a look in the morning whilst the misses is working and see if indeed there are any loose wires etc, will get a picture of the routing/ colors of the wires to see if there a difference to yours. come to think of it i remeber the plastic connectors didnt quite look like they would go together, ive pm'ed the company to see if there are different connections. thanks for that, will try in the morning.

You should be alright then

All I can say is check all the wires and connections.

I shall do mate, thanks for the pointer. Will hopefully get to the bottom of it in the morning.

i disconnected the harness unplugged the patch done in the right order etc. still nothing, took a picture to check and it looks a bit different to your to be fair, dont know if this would make any difference. im lost now, what to do?

I'm having the same problem with mine.

Got bought a JVC kw600bt for Xmas, been and bought all the leads

But the stalk still doesn't work grrrrrr my patch lead doesn't look like either of yours

Just thought of something that may or may not work but its worth a shot.

Remove the head unit again and unplug the stalk control adaptor from both the loom and the head unit.

Turn the car on with the stalk controls removed.

Tune the radio into radio 1.

Turn the car off again.

Plug the stalk controls back in, head unit first then into the loom.

Turn the head unit back on.

If this has worked then you should now have stalk controls working. Apparantly radio 1 carries some settings to set the stalk controls up.

If this hasn't worked, the only thing i can think of is there may be a 'learn mode' for the stalk controls in the settings menu where you teach the head unit what each stalk button does then it saves the configuration.

A lot of head units have this, mine doesnt though.

Grrrrr so frustrating. This suggestion hasn't worked for me. I'm going to a car audio shop tomorrow if they solve the problem I will post what they did to fix it!!

Grrrr know how you feel there mate about being frustrating.

When i fitted my head unit i got everything working n wired up except the stalk controls just would not work.

Tried everything n kicked off with the fitting kit seller, made em send me a new stalk control adaptor n it still didnt work.

Then after i had the stereo out the dash a few more times the yellow wire of the loom that goes into the stalk controls caught me eye.

There was a very tiny bit of copper wire exposed, no more than a mm where the wire everso slightly wasnt pushed all the way in the plug.

I pushed the wire in n turned the stereo on, my stalk controls now magically worked beautifully.

Its a shame its not the same case for you or it would have been easy to rectify.

Hmmm I checked the wires after reading your 1st post, I couldn't see any exposed wire and everything feels tight.

It's took me about 5mins to convince the guy behind the counter that I could fit the HU in in the 1st place, think he just saw a woman talking crap until I took him outside and showed him what I had done lol

Watch it be something so simple, fingers crossed it gets sorted tomorrow and I will let you know what it was ;)

Well all is sorted and I now have a working stalk!!! Basically the leads I was given had a piece missing so the guy shredded up a few wires and did another block connector that ran from the patch lead to the 3rd connector from the main wiring loom. Hope you can understand from the picpost-39641-0-63261900-1357212081_thumb.jpost-39641-0-07057500-1357212136_thumb.j

Goes to show that these fitting kits are not always what they're cracked up to be.

Glad you got the problem resolved and the error was not your fault.

Thanks! I've been !Removed! over this for ages, seems so simple now I've seen it done though lol 😉

You probably werent supplied with a decent fitting kit, i know there are a few variations.

Reading on the net some are a plug n play job n some still require a fair bit of rewiring.

I cant comment on the mk1 though as i'm not familiar with the mk1 loom.

At least its working now

• 6 months later...

Hi, im new here. Hate to be the new guy asking for help on his first post but I am struggling. Got a Clarion head unit and can't get the stalk controls working. The only bit of instruction i got with the leads says 'head unit connection lead needs to be connected first'

Connect the loom side wiring to the controller interface first and make sure the radio is getting power then connect the controller to the interface.

Sorted it now, ace! Its a bit of a shed but its mine!

• 4 years later...

Hi there can anyone tell me if there a way to keep the radio steering sick working after I put a new radio in ?

On 31/07/2017 at 9:27 PM, OXMARSHALLXO said:

Hi there can anyone tell me if there a way to keep the radio steering sick working after I put a new radio in ?

You may need to post a new thread in the Forum if this doesn't help, but you will need an appropriate stalk converter box for your make of radio and model of car.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club