Mick J

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: Mick
  • Ford Model: Mk2 Focus Estate
  • Year: 2006

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:51 AM

Pat, I had the headlining out, lot of work, but was really banging my head on this one. I found taking the nut and attached washer from the track at the back and above the rear seat (above middle of door) on each side allowed me to slip a piece of timber under the track and get a good view of the channel.  (the bolt is captive in the track and has some rubber seating).

I had one track completely off but could not see how to remove the plastic ends, the 2" square rubber part at the rear just pulled down and off.   A pin hole and some cracking could be seen on the drivers side channel, just a bit of cracking other side, I was getting water from both sides, drivers side worse. We could spray water into pin hole and see immediately water inside, some running along folds and layers of the steel bracing.  Pin hole was/is on the joint where one sheet folds over and joins another.

I smeared more silicone sealer over the area yesterday and will be out with the hose pipe later today (April 1st), will add to this thread the final result.    

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Mick J

Mick J

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: Mick
  • Ford Model: Mk2 Focus Estate
  • Year: 2006

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:17 AM

Update to above,  soaked the car with the garden hose yesterday, left for a bit and still dry inside so seem to have sorted it.  smeared silicone over some of the metal inside using a small paint brush.  Cut a bit more off the rubber foot at the rear end of the roof bars to clear the silicone and allow better flow.

Just releasing the rear fixing for the roof bar allowed the back of the bar to lift 50 to 60mm, rubber foot just pulls down and off, still unsure how end trim fixes to bar.

Rooflining now back in, bigger struggle that taking out, would not recommend, managed to snap one of the push in fixings on one of the covers, catch that one later.

I found a tub of builders/paintersanddecorators wipes really good with the silicone, gets it off fingers and bodywork where its not wanted.

Rear channel fixing.jpg Rear Channel Start.jpg Rear Channel.jpg Rear Rubber foot.jpg

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Focus, Estate, Water, leak, boot, tailgate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users