11 replies to this topic

#1 jayh1986

jayh1986

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus
Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

Hi there,
I have a Focus 1.6 55 plate and have a slight coolant leak. It is leaking from a part which is bolted onto the side of the head. It has two pipes coming off it and some sort of sensor or something screwed into it. It is directly underneath the coil pack. Pipes from it fo to the radiator and through the fire wall. I've looked in the haynes manual and it is not the thermostat, as it says that is underneath the alternator. This is the opposite side of the engine. Any help appreciated.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,050 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

Hi there,
I have a Focus 1.6 55 plate and have a slight coolant leak. It is leaking from a part which is bolted onto the side of the head. It has two pipes coming off it and some sort of sensor or something screwed into it. It is directly underneath the coil pack. Pipes from it fo to the radiator and through the fire wall. I've looked in the haynes manual and it is not the thermostat, as it says that is underneath the alternator. This is the opposite side of the engine. Any help appreciated.

the part you describe does sound like the thermostat housing, more so as there is a pipe to the radiator.

#3 jayh1986

jayh1986

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

Ok thank you. The reason I was asking was, as stated above, in the haynes manual it says to take off the alternator to get to the thermostat, where this is directly under the coil pack itself nowhere near the alternator. Searching on-line I have seen it mentioned that the thermostats have a black plastic housing. However the bit I am referring to is metal. If I look under the alternator I can also see pipes from the radiator leading to something under there, which is why i presumed that was the thermostat and this other bit something else.

#4 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,050 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

Ok thank you. The reason I was asking was, as stated above, in the haynes manual it says to take off the alternator to get to the thermostat, where this is directly under the coil pack itself nowhere near the alternator. Searching on-line I have seen it mentioned that the thermostats have a black plastic housing. However the bit I am referring to is metal. If I look under the alternator I can also see pipes from the radiator leading to something under there, which is why i presumed that was the thermostat and this other bit something else.

do you know if your car has an oil cooler? this will have a thermostat also and will be on that side under the alternator somewhere

#5 jayh1986

jayh1986

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Don't think so, not 100% though. Its looks basically like a lump of metal bolted to the side of the head with two hoses and some sort of sensor, and it is from this joint that it is leaking I can see slightly where the gasket looks like it has slipped allowing it to leak.

#6 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,050 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

Don't think so, not 100% though. Its looks basically like a lump of metal bolted to the side of the head with two hoses and some sort of sensor, and it is from this joint that it is leaking I can see slightly where the gasket looks like it has slipped allowing it to leak.

the sensor will be for coolant temp. is the gasket for the sensor? like a rubber O-ring seal?

#7 jayh1986

jayh1986

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

No it looks like its a gasket where the "lump" lol meets the engine.

#8 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,050 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

sorry i have just read your first post again and realised its a 1.6 petrol presumably? so it wont have an oil cooler to answer my own question lol.

If no one has an answer for you tonight i will have a look at a 1.6 55 plate as it happens tomorow and see if i can get you an answer.

#9 jayh1986

jayh1986

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

ok thank you very much. Like I said earlier. The coil pack is bolted to a bracket which is directly above the bit I am describing. Thank you for your help so far.

#10 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,050 posts
Contributor

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

hi mate,
very sorry I haven't had the chance to look for you, if the car is available tonight i will try my best

#11 jayh1986

jayh1986

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

No problem. still haven't found out what this is, so until I can get a gasket it's a case of having to top up the coolant every now and then. It's not a massive leak and only leaks when the engine is running.

#12 martyntdci

martyntdci

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • Name: martin
  • Ford Model: focus titanium x/comms/sports pack
  • Year: 2008

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

can you take a photo and post it up?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users