Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Please

jgriff

Hope you can help me folks.This morning when i went collect my better half from hospital my car started what i can only describe as a whirring sound from the engine bay.

The noise was there from the moment i started it and it increases with the accelerator. Its a 2008 1.6 petrol zetec focus in question.

Now to make matters worse, upon leaving the hospital i noticed what looks like some fluid on the ground, what would remind me of oil/fuel of some kind. Its been bucketing down so haven't had a chance to have a look to see where its coming from.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Its never gave a days trouble up to this and I've had from new.

Thanks John

Its possible your water pump has gone have you checked the water level and did you notice a temp rise have a look prefably chk level when engine is cold

Had a quick look as weather is been very rough here today. What i could observe from my quick look before the wind took my bonnet off was that power steering fluid is fine, coolant level is fine.

Im fearing the worst as all components down behind the engine block seem to be covered in oil. Im thinking (but hoping Im wrong) maybe a gasket has gone

Can car be safely driven if its anything like that?

are you certain the power steering fluid level is ok? the 1.6 is known for bursting one of the pipes and it throws fluid over everything and you will also get a whine as the pump is running dry or with air in

To be honest its hard to say without knowing exactly what it is if its a rocker covet gasket then you can drive it a bit keep an eye on the engine oil level if it was the steering pipes i wouldnt imagine driving round a bend and you cant turn the steering wheel its necessary to pinpoint the leak first

Just gone out to double check and your right the power steering fluid tank is empty, just opened it and its dry inside. Can i drive to town to get some with it like that or am i best to leave it till dealer is open new year?

Knew you guys would help me out

Just gone out to double check and your right the power steering fluid tank is empty, just opened it and its dry inside. Can i drive to town to get some with it like that or am i best to leave it till dealer is open new year?

Knew you guys would help me out

dont drive it while its like that mate, you might get away with a new hose or whatever part is damaged but if you run the pump dry you will be needing one of them too.

You cant drive it then without the fluid you have no steering when whats in the pipes goes and youll knacker the pump at best walk to a garage fill it with fluid if you dont have far to get to a dealer or if yoy have aa or rac call them

Ok well ill give them a call in new year. Had planned on getting timing belt done in the next week or so, so i guess I'll get all done then.

Thanks for your help lads, much appreciated!

John

cost at the dealer depending upon what is required for the power steering is around £250 - this covers high pressure hose and 1.25 hours labour

Timing belt kit i hope and water pump its easier to do the pump and belt as they run off the same belt saves money in the long run

What does the timing belt kit consist of? Just so i know what Im talkin about when i do take it in and they don't try rip me off

Got the car towed to garage today. Got a call this evening to say it seems to be just burst pipes and that pump seems to be ok but won't be sure until they put fluid in the system again.

I should hope the pump is ok coz with a couple of pipes and labour coming in at €275 plus €100 for towing my pocket is gonna take a fair hit

Car going to hospital this morning lol

20130102_121236.jpg

Car going to hospital this morning lol

20130102_121236.jpg

Brilliant! :)

not so brilliant about how much your out of pocket though. Well i hope for your sake it is just the pipe and thats the end of it.

all the best

I had the same problem with mine, the high pressure inlet pipe for the power steering pump goes into a compression nut on the power steering pump. Turns out the seal inside this nut had gone and the needed to replace it. Bummer is that you cannot remove the pipe without damaging it so I filled the reservoir, drove it to a garage and one compression nut, high pressure pipe and £180 late i got it back all fixed, all be it with an overfilled reservoir!

Collected it today and so far so good. The only downside is the battering my wallet took, nearly sent the missus into early labour