Huge Range of Ford Parts
    • Savings Up to 15% Off For Members
      Savings Up to 15% Off For Members
    • Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save

Help! Repairs required??

2 posts in this topic

I have a 2003 Ford Focus TDCi

Just had my Focus back from the main dealer, and after a visual health check they have found a few faults.

The main one is "o/s/r and n/s/r trailing arm bush split" which according to them is a MOT failure. They quoted £382 to fix this (labour and parts included). My focus had its annual full service at my usual independent garage, and they said the bushes were split but thats a common issue and he's never had to change them.

Is it really an MOT failure and is the price expensive? Not sure who's right - the independent garage or main dealer??

The other issue is with the brake disc's - they need replaced. They have quoted £207 for front and £212 for back (parts and labour included). Thats £420 in total . I know they need done, but is this price excessive?

Anyone able to help?

I'm 99% certain my car had that down as advisory on its last MOT (which it passed).

Yes - the price is excessive. Front brakes are dead easy to do yourself and the parts will cost you around £40. There was somebody in Manchester selling Mintex pad/disc sets via eBay for £26 + postage. Its a 20-minute job per wheel. Back ones can be fiddly so better off at a garage, but they're still trying to shaft you, imho. Main dealers always do.

Much better off with a small local garage who actually values their reputation. Main dealers don't give a toss at the end of the day.