• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Grechster

Grechster

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Ford Model: C-Max

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Apologies in advance for the long post however I thought it best to try and include as much detail as possible!!
I am hoping someone is able to help / offer me some advice.

For the past 6 months or so I have had a issue which results in the carpet in the front passenger footwell of my C-max becoming wet or very wet (sodden) with water.

I took it to the garage back in August and they checked the pollen filter as this is a common cause of water leaking into the cabin. They also noticed that the scuttle panel on top of the windscreen was a bit loose. It appeared to have previously been taken off. They found quite a number of leaves in between it and the windscreen.

Whatever they did appeared to have resolved the issue as no more issue over the following couple of months were noted. I was very happy!
This period however did co-incide with a quite lengthly dry spell in the region that I live.

Later in October when the rains returned the problem became apparrent again, in fact it seemed to have got worse! When the problem is at its worse water also appears in the storage cubby hole behind the passenger front seat. Note that the car is parked nose facing forward on really quite a steep drive and I think that when enough water accumulates it flows over the ridge in the floorpan under the front passenger car seat.
Disappointed I returned the car to the garage and they checked the pollen filter and the scuttle panel again.
They conducted some additional tests using a hosepipe trying to identify where the water was coming from but to no avail.

They suggested that replacing the front door seal on the passenger side might resolve the issue but they didn't seem particularly confident about this so I was particularly happy to spend more money on just their hunch.

I thought I would try and locate the cause of the water ingress myself.
I have pretty much ruled as the aircon drain being blocked as it is rarely on.
A couple of other things to note which may or may not be significant.
It is often the case after a period of moderate / heavy rain that when I open the front passenger door a lot of water drains out of the middle drain hole at the bottom of the door - i didn't understand why this was happening, however upon closer examination there did appear to be minor blockages in the other drain holes. I cleared these with a coat hanger and this seems to have resolved that issue.
In fact I thought it may have resolved the issue completely as when it rained heavily last Sat the carpet did not become wet. However the day following the carpet was wet actually very wet :-( I have remove two soaking wet towels from the footwel of the car in the past few days. The wetness does not smell, so I am guessing that the problem is not related to the pipe that carries screen wash to rear window.
Interestingly (well not very) if you split the footwell carpet into 4 equal portions then by far the wetest portion in the bottom left hand corner.

One other thing when I returned home the other day I noted that there was quite a large patch of water on the driveway. It was probably about 3 feet long and 6" to 12" wide. I am familar with the small puddle of water that can be seen from the aircon drain however this was much larger and not something I can recall seeing before?

I was thinking that I may need to remove the carpet to try and find the leak - not sure how easy this would be??

Does anyone out there think I should have the door seal replaced?

I Would love to hear from anyone who has a experienced a very similar issue to mine as this is beginning to drive me mad, particularly with regards to the constant musty smell.
Thanks and kind regards
Simon

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,326 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

I'd check the door seals forst then look under the floor in case there are any grommets missing from the floor pan.

#3 Grechster

Grechster

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

Thanks for your reply Stoney. Are you suggesting that water could be coming UP through the missing grommets (if there are any). Also if there were a problem with the door seal then wouldn't the hosepipe test highlist this problem?

#4 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,326 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
Contributor

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

Ford put grommets in weird places so a good look underneath the pan will be a good idea.
The seals may have a pinch or dent in them, or evenjust have lost their flexibility.
A good inspection will tell you.
It may even be the case that the door catches need adjusting.

#5 gregers

gregers

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Name: greg
  • Ford Model: smax titainium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

dunno if your car has a rear washer?
but check to see if the pipe runs along that side from the front.
i know on the galaxy range in there wisdom they put a joint to the pipe around the passenger seat directly above the central locking alarm module.

#6 mr rugby

mr rugby

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Ford Model: c-max 1.8 tdci titanium
Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

I have water dripping in from the tailgate.
As you'll no doubt be aware, water can enter from a different place to where you see it.
I know it's a fair old job, but if you can peel back or remove the carpets, sit in the car while some one hoses the car down then at least you can follow it's track and have the benefit of properly drying the carpets at the same time..Start from the bottom of the car and work your way up, giving sufficient time for the water to run down before moving the hose position.

sorry I can't be of help

mr rugby

ps
if you find it, get back to us.

#7 Grechster

Grechster

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Ford put grommets in weird places so a good look underneath the pan will be a good idea.
The seals may have a pinch or dent in them, or evenjust have lost their flexibility.
A good inspection will tell you.
It may even be the case that the door catches need adjusting.

The garage reckoned they could not confirm that there is a problem with seals, they just said that they it might be worth replacing them. TBH I rather not spend £100 to have the new ones fitted unless there is a very possibility that it fix the issue.

dunno if your car has a rear washer?
but check to see if the pipe runs along that side from the front.
i know on the galaxy range in there wisdom they put a joint to the pipe around the passenger seat directly above the central locking alarm module.

I appreciate the water could be be coming from a number of different places. The car does have a rear washer, however the car is parked on a steep drive and the car faces forward so unless the water is able to break the law the gravity then I don't think this can be the source of the issue!

I have water dripping in from the tailgate.
As you'll no doubt be aware, water can enter from a different place to where you see it.
I know it's a fair old job, but if you can peel back or remove the carpets, sit in the car while some one hoses the car down then at least you can follow it's track and have the benefit of properly drying the carpets at the same time..Start from the bottom of the car and work your way up, giving sufficient time for the water to run down before moving the hose position.

I think that I may have to ultimately need to have the carpet(s) removed to try and locate find the source of the water.
Having not removed any carpets before I was hoping that someone who has removed them can comment on how difficult this task is, as I have to admit I am not the most practical person, so I need to determine whether it is something that I have a bash at!?

Thanks in advance.

Simon

#8 Nooby

Nooby

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Cmax

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

Hello, I have exactly the same problem with my Cmax. Soaking wet carpets on the passenger well and the rear seat passenger side well. Did you manage to find a solution? Did you manage to take the carpets out? Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks

#9 Grechster

Grechster

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

Unfortunately the answer to both of your questions is no. Might look at removing the carpet once the weather warms up a bit!

#10 Nooby

Nooby

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: Paul

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

I will let you know if I find a solution. it seems strange that it is exactly the same issue!

#11 Grechster

Grechster

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Thanks, I 'll keep an eye on this thread.

#12 BSam

BSam

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Blair
  • Year: 2008

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:42 PM

I also am experiencing this problem, has anyone come up with the solution to this problem yet???

Thanks

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: water

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users