Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whirring Noise At High Speeds

jeebowhite

Hi Guys,

I have a whirring noise at high speeds, doesn't rumble or crack or make any horrible noises, but I do hear a bit of a whir noise (sounds like a fan spinning noise and increasing / decreasing in spins per minute).

Is this normal for an automatic?

I have a 2005 Focus CMAX Zetec 1.6 CVT TDCI, 44k on the clock. as I bought it yesterday I still have warranty on it and so will use it as possible!

Wheel bearings?

Alternator bearing?

Any idea roughly where is it coming from?

as stoney has said. does it only appear at high speeds or does it appear with high revs or even in neutral? also does cornering make any difference?

Thanks Guys,

sounds more like it is coming from the centre to rear, and it tends to build up as you get to 45 - 50+ but its not a cracking / grinding noise, just sounds like a slow moving fan getting quicker and slower. If I find the right time I will try and record it on the phone, maybe post it up but its not too loud.

The only other noise is that at low speed turning the car specifically left gives a slight grinding noise, but will keep an eye on that...

OK so heard the noise again, being midnight and nice and quiet on the roads, I think I narrowed it down to front end, after careful listening, it sounds more like you or I trying to make a "wind" sound effect with pursed lips and open mouth (not breaking wind, thats something completely different :)) as you get faster the wind noise gets louder, and slower, the opposite. Kicks in around 40mph and I could do with going to manual mode and see if its gear related, its not the turbo I dont think as I heard her whistle this morning...

OK so heard the noise again, being midnight and nice and quiet on the roads, I think I narrowed it down to front end, after careful listening, it sounds more like you or I trying to make a "wind" sound effect with pursed lips and open mouth (not breaking wind, thats something completely different :)) as you get faster the wind noise gets louder, and slower, the opposite. Kicks in around 40mph and I could do with going to manual mode and see if its gear related, its not the turbo I dont think as I heard her whistle this morning...

does turning and changing the load on the suspension have any affect?

Cant say, most the time I have only found this on the motorways, or A roads where they are mainly straights - perhaps I will try and pick some country roads for tomorrows journey...

• 2 weeks later...

i'd prob say wheel bearing. jack it up and give all 4 wheels a shave up/down, left/right and see if any play in the bearings.... as ive had my alternator pack up just before xmas, the whirling sound you could hear on tick over.....

• 7 months later...

Hello jeebowhite,

Did you ever find the cause of your noise? My focus sounds like it's doing the same thing. I get an odd noise over 30MPH and it's more pronounced when the steering is turned towards the left left. I'm thinking its coming from the drive shaft, if I coast in neutral and steer left the noise is not so bad. Doubt it's the gearbox, there is no vibration on the steering or gear level. Road noise tends to cancel most noise out over 60MPH.

Thanks, Adam.

Have to say, I completely forgot about the problem. Soon after I got the car, I did take it back and it had the front bushings changed, and to be honest, that might well have been the resolution.

The other problem is that I did have a tiny tiny break in the mass air flow hose, found it after I replaced it so I suspect this would have been a contributing factor. Unfortunately the oil on the hose actually hid the break...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think there is an alternative issue that may be playing part in the noise... The infamous split pipe in the design of the intercooler intake pipe...

I need to replace it at the next weekend with good weather and will let you know the outcome.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club