Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Silly Question???? Need Help With Brake Pads..........

hippiedan

hi all, just to get this out of the way, I know very little about car repair maintenance as I have only been driving a short while and am picking things up as I come across them and their solutions so please do excuse a certain level of "ignorance" (for want of a better term) from myself

just wanted to ask a quick question, i'm in search of some help and advice, I bought my 2006 (55 plate) 1.6 diesel focus lx just a couple of months ago, recently had it serviced and mot'd, flew through the mot with a couple of "you should sort this out byt the next service" items cropping up on the service report, they are as follows

need two new front tyres (easy enough to get sorted)

needed new brake fluid (had the guys at fords do that for me)

and most importantly needs new brake pads on the front wheels as the existing ones are 70% worn

my question is this, i was told by someone i work with that some ford focus's, especially the "newer ones" need to be connected to a computer and a special tool required to push the pistons out of the way (is this the right term) back in order to get the pads changed and the compter needs to know that new pads are being fitted

is this the case or would it be a stright forward job just like when I had and changed brake pads on my '97 ka or '98 fiesta?! do i need to get a garage to do it due to the computer and "special piston tool" requirements?! or can a novice like myself do them easily enough?!

many thanks in advance for all you help

There's no special tool needed to renew brake pads on the front of your Focus and you certainly don't need to connect it to a computer!

The piston on the rears may need !Removed! back but that's a simple DIY job. I changed discs and pads on my ST last spring and didn't need any special tools.

recently done mine (2008 1.8 tdci), the only thing i used was adjustable plyers to push piston back in

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-GENUINE-ADJUSTABLE-GRIPS-PLYERS-NEW-AND-UNUSED-/230906619777?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item35c31b6781

Rears can be done easy enough with a large screwdriver

thankyou guys both for your replies, thankyou for clearing that up for me quickly too, looks like Ive got something to do tomorrow afternoon now hahaha

weather dependant lol

what he means is you can pop the seals on the abs system by pushing the pistons back its rare but not unknown

For your tyres I recommend you try blackcircles.

They're very good and you can sit at home and pick exactly what you want and when/where you want them fitted.

I used them for my last tyre change and it was painless.

http://www.blackcircles.com/

National Tyres have a store on eBay, where you pick and choose your tyres and get them fitted at a branch of your choice, and a date of your choice. (They don't fit them at home/work though)

The tyres are new and they do all sizes & brands. You can buy in ways of 1, 2 or 4

Typically they are 10-20% cheaper than going direct through their own website, and when I got new tyres last year I found this method cheaper than Blackcircles and other Internet tyre places.

* I do not work for National Tyres

Gotta love these people, brake pads connected to the computer?! I think it gets about as technical as a bit of wire that grounds out when the pad reaches a certain level and warns you!

Good luck fella! Don't forget a bit of copper slip on the rubbing parts, helps a lot, just make sure you don't get any on the friction surfaces!

yeah it doesnt need connected to any computers it just needs a bit of care when pushing the pistons back slow and easy does it thats all

yeah it doesnt need connected to any computers it just needs a bit of care when pushing the pistons back slow and easy does it thats all

If i remember correctly from the days when I did it, remove the resouvoir cap and place a towel or rag around it, just incase anyone has topped up the fluid since the last pad change.

National Tyres have a store on eBay, where you pick and choose your tyres and get them fitted at a branch of your choice, and a date of your choice. (They don't fit them at home/work though)

The tyres are new and they do all sizes & brands. You can buy in ways of 1, 2 or 4

Typically they are 10-20% cheaper than going direct through their own website, and when I got new tyres last year I found this method cheaper than Blackcircles and other Internet tyre places.

* I do not work for National Tyres

try camskill.com

i think they're the cheapest.

i've used them twice.

yunii