Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing Expansion Tank Mk5 - Help Please

smartestsmarty

Hello all,

My expansion tank has a crack in it and I lose coolant slowly over time, I need to change my expansion tank, can someone please explain to me how to do it?

Eg, is it simple as draining the system, and then removing the old tank, fitting the new one and filling the system again?

When re filling the system, is there anything specific to watch out for? how to I make sure theres no trapped air etc.

Thanks in advance.

you should not need to drain the coolant system

I have never exchanged one on a Fiesta but same principle is that the tank will sit higher than the cooling system, unclip it and some coolant will pour out... replace the tank and top up with coolant. bleed the system by running the engine with the header tank cap off and turn the heating up full blast in the car... let the car reach full temprature and top up. Dont top up too much when cold as the coolant needs to expand.

just top it up so there is a bit in the header tank all the time.. when car is at full temp, then top up to the line