Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery Or Alternator?

bigrich

Hi,

I'm a new member to this forum, and i have a question about a a ford focus 1.6 2003.

upon starting for the first time the engine turns over but nothing happens, this could happen a couple of times before it starts. after its run for a bit its starts perfectly every time. That's the easy way, some times the same thing will happen the engine will kick in but the revs will drop to nothing and the engine will cut out, some times the same will happen, but if i add a little gas the revs fall even faster. some times after this when i turn the key to start it again, there is a pause where nothing happens for a few seconds then it will turn over and cut out like before, eventually it starts and runs fine and no problems.

i have checked the battery and the indicator window is black, and the key says this is a warning triangle, so i am in the process of getting a new battery. Is what i described about going to be cured by a new battery or is it bad news? Like i said once going there are no problems, and everything works fine, its just starting for the first time!

Cheers

Rich

Well, you can check how's the charging voltage via your instrument cluster. Just press the ress/set button, keep it holded and turn on the ignition. after few secs you should see the cluster say "test". Now whit the ress/set button scroll untill it shows you battery voltage. Turn on the engine, and look what it says, it should be ~14v

If the engine turns over but doesn't actually start then your battery is fine (it might be due replacement as the window is black).

I think the fault is with a sensor somewhere tbh

Well, you can check how's the charging voltage via your instrument cluster. Just press the ress/set button, keep it holded and turn on the ignition. after few secs you should see the cluster say "test". Now whit the ress/set button scroll untill it shows you battery voltage. Turn on the engine, and look what it says, it should be ~14v

well i never knew that, the things i am learning on here.

had my car for two years and never knew half the stuff i am learning here.

its good to learn and pass on what you know ( in my case not much lol ).

but i will try :D

billybob66 ;) ;)

Let us know how it goes :)

If you still struggle pop down to someone like kwik fit who do free battery health checks :)

By the sounds of it, I don't think you have a battery or alternator issue. If the window has gone black then yes the battery is now not fully working but this could be from being drained by multiple/long starts turning over the car.

It almost sounds like your describing foul starting, your basic three things required are oxygen, fuel and spark. Now if your car is turning over but not starting or starting then failing, it sounds like you have a fault with one of the three above.

When was the last time a device was carried out? Do you know the current state of the spark plugs? When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Changing the battery is a start, but I don't personally think its the cause of your failing to start issues. It may just be a side effect of trying to turn over the engine so many times.

Best of luck and report back when you can.