Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing From Petrol 1.4 To Diesel 1.6

Mustaine8661

Good evening ladies and gents!

Hope you're all well and had a good Christmas?

I've had a 58 Petrol 1.4 Titanium for 6 months, which I bought as I thought I'd only be doing shorter drives over the weekend.

Life being what it is, means I'm now driving 250 miles a week to work on the motorway and looking to switch to a diesel.

My dealer has offered to do a swap for a the Titanium & £700 for a 10 plate Fiesta 1.6 tdci Zetec (with 16” upgraded alloy wheels, power folding mirrors, rear parking sensors, b-tooth + USB & privacy glass)

My question is, are diesels really that more economical than petrols? I get 40 mpg (so the trip says!) at present, and with diesel costing around 8p a more a litre, is it worth it?

Also, whats the Zetec like?

Many thanks for your opinions =)

Well I have a 1.6tdci zetec s and a lead foot and mines doing 49-52 mpg

Well I have a 1.6tdci zetec s and a lead foot and mines doing 49-52 mpg

Does it still shift?

The petrol feels very sporty up to 60ish, but I've been told diesels are sluggish unless you thrash them!?

No I used to have a 1.8 focus petrol and it feels not much slower than that can hardly tell the difference. The short gear changes slow it down a bit but that's about it what it lacks in bhp it makes up for with torque

the 1.6tdci is very economical if you drive carefully... Even in my focus it does 45-50mpg and thats thrashing it!

If i'm gentle i can see 60mpg.

Diesel is a lot more expensive however, but if your doing the motorway miles then you should see savings.

I could get 65mpg when I had mine. Lifetime average was 58mpg over 47,000 miles.

I'm anywhere from 47 - 68 on average, town and motorway driving. I've had a few times higher but that's generally.

Done 3 track days with it (because I'm that cool I take a diesel Fiesta on track days) and it got a 36mpg average, so if you're gonna drive it hard you'll stil save :P

There is NOTHING wrong with taking a TDCi on track....... ;)

My question is, are diesels really that more economical than petrols? I get 40 mpg (so the trip says!) at present, and with diesel costing around 8p a more a litre, is it worth it?

My 1.6 Econetic currently says 63.4 MPG but I'm a member of the 55mph club....

I could get 65mpg when I had mine. Lifetime average was 58mpg over 47,000 miles.

Someone taken offence to you selling the Ford as you have Ford Traitor by you your status :)

Thank you all for the info!

Even with the extra cost up front and that 5p a litre, I can still save £1,500 over 2 years (provided I drive like a saint!)

Do you really notice the extra torque when pulling away?

Yes, you'll really notice the extra torque on take off, only when the turbo kicks in though at around 1600rpm, I'd have the diesel over its petrol counterpart any day, but then I just love the oily stuff lol.

Do you really notice the extra torque when pulling away?

Moved from a 1.6 Petrol Fiat to the 1.6 Diesel Fiesta. I can't say I really noticed much of a difference overall, but then neither was a sports model and I can't say I really notice when the turbo actually comes in.

Coolio!

Going to pick it up on Saturday provided it drives ok.

The colour is marked as "Squeeze" which I think is the snot green colour. Hope looks better in person!

Will let you all know how I get on!

We went from a 1.4 TDCi Titanium to a 1.6 TDCi and we really did notice the extra torque away from roundabouts, we stormed around France at 130kmh in both cars, never took much notice of fuel consumption though but was generally happy with the distance it could carry us :)

Hmmm...

Just spoke to the dealer, and after telling me that the warranty and GAP insurance would carry over, they have now decided the the GAP is non transferable.

They said that the old policy will be cancelled and partially refunded, and a new policy will be needed.

Something doesn't sound right with this, especially sudden change in tune. The T&C's for the original policy say no refunds so I'm inclined to call BS.

I had this issue with Gap a few years ago. was told it was transferable when the car was brought when it come to transfer the car to me after returning from uni was told it can be and money was wasted. :rolleyes: they gave us a refund of part of the amount tho as good will

Hi £20 a year TAX plus if you get out a bend and give it some boot a1.6 tdci will leave a 1.4 petrol in it's dust.

• 2 weeks later...

Update for you all!

So far, the experience has been mixed. The car is much smoother going from 40-70. In anything it accelerates a little too easily :)

Everything feels much calmer than the petrol, and its a lovely quite drive at 70 on the motorway.

My biggest gripe is with the dealer rather than the car!

Now they say that the best lessons in life are leant through your own mistakes, but I would advise anyone else buying a car for the first (or second!) time to head these words.

Regardless of whether you're buying from a named franchise dealer or not - if it's not in writing, it didn't happen!

The dealer (Hills Ford, Kidderminster) told me that the customer that part ex'ed it forgot to bring the service book in, and that he would post it to me by the end of the week. Now he also said it had been serviced about 3 weeks ago and has been serviced to schedule. However when I got home and checked fluid levels, the oil is half full and jet black, and the other fluid levels are below half full.

Does that fit a recent service?!

Also, the car has done 65k miles in 30 months. This was kept very well hidden( to the point that rather than let me drive the car to the petrol station for a full tank, he took it himself. I know it's my fault at the end of the day as I did'nt ask.

Now I trusted the dealer as I bought my first car from the same place and they were brilliant, but I feel a bit like I've been shat on...

Rant over! Thanks for listening

Diesels tend to be better MPG on the motor way than driving about town. They come into their own in that department when theyre doing 60mph+