Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Near Miss Bad Bad Bad Me!

Preee

So on the way to work , Thursday night , in a total dream world , i see a van pulling from the right towards my line .

Shock horror foot slammed on the brake , ABS on screetching to a halt ! , OH no i had just run a Red !

The van with two burly guys busy gesturing at me , i allow it to pull up next to me at the junction so i can apologise.

Just goes to show how alert you need to be 100% of the time , for sure it was me at fault , and could have gone bad if the alert van driver had not seen me.

Although i pass through these lights every single day , i had no idea why i had not even looked , i was focused on the road ahead , but still made a bad error.

:wacko:

Anyone else had a near miss , knowing it was thier fault?

Autopilot on the way to work? I kow the feeling and when I think about it I can't remember certain bits of my journey...

Strange really.

Glad your ok though mate and that it didn't have a worse outcome.

As Stef123 said.. Autopilot is awful!!

I have it on my journey to work occasionally.. its a horrible feeling!!

Tiredness is a massive cause of this, just goes to show how easy accidents can occur!

Glad your ok tho mate!

Autopilot on the way to work? I kow the feeling and when I think about it I can't remember certain bits of my journey...

Strange really.

Glad your ok though mate and that it didn't have a worse outcome.

Yes could have been alot different , had the van not seen me , but fair play to the car, boy did it stop well , i would say full length of the car was over the traffic light stop line so i would not have hit them as at least 10 feet from them , but just the shock of what i had done .

I saw the van , eyes opened wide saw the Red , hit the Brakes !

Tiredness is a massive cause of this, just goes to show how easy accidents can occur!

Yup, I tend to find it happens to me when in off to work early in the morning but not if I'm going out on nightshift where I have been up and wide awake for a few hours before hand

There is nothing worse though when you think back, what lane of the roundabout did I use, or did I indicate back there?

As Stef123 said.. Autopilot is awful!!

I have it on my journey to work occasionally.. its a horrible feeling!!

Glad your ok tho mate!

Cheers TDIST , had i have been in the Wife's Nissan Micra it takes about a mile to stop lol

Yup, I tend to find it happens to me when in off to work early in the morning but not if I'm going out on nightshift where I have been up and wide awake for a few hours before hand

There is nothing worse though when you think back, what lane of the roundabout did I use, or did I indicate back there?

Very true , the feeling of , "how did i just get here " is scary

Very true , the feeling of , "how did i just get here " is scary

Yeah exactly, the mind is weird :lol:

I did a similar thing 2 months ago but it was orange on it's way to red, couldn't understand how I did not see the light so I had a look at the junction on Street View, horror! :o I saw a grey Gatso hidden in the hedge pointing at the junction, had a few nervous weeks checking the post for the NIP. Two months later now, should be in the clear. I now know how Stony felt after he had the camera pointed at him. Too much ribbing at work + all the other hassle from the insurance company.

Familiarity is a drivers worst enemy, I often arrive at work or home and can't remember the driving between, but my near misses tend to be my blind side, not much fun...

Strangely enough I tend to concentrate less when the missus is in the car.

Nearly ran a red last week, if she hadn't shouted I would have gone right through.

Tiredness and road familiarity is an easy thing to fall into.

I sometimes forget which car I'm in and on seeing someone do something naughty I instinctively reach for the noisy buttons and then realise they aren't there.

On long patrols there have been times when I have really needed to pull over as I know I'm not giving it 100% concentration.

I've even declined pursuits and high speed attendances knowing I couldn't do so safely because of tiredness.

That's what comes from often being the only available handler for a very large area.

And its not going to get any easier/better either bud!!

You know when youve been in the force too long when..... You reach for the alley lights in you own car lol

Nearly ran a red last week, if she hadn't shouted I would have gone right through.

Tiredness and road familiarity is an easy thing to fall into.

I sometimes forget which car I'm in and on seeing someone do something naughty I instinctively reach for the noisy buttons and then realise they aren't there.

On long patrols there have been times when I have really needed to pull over as I know I'm not giving it 100% concentration.

I've even declined pursuits and high speed attendances knowing I couldn't do so safely because of tiredness.

That's what comes from often being the only available handler for a very large area.

It just shows how easy things can happen , thank god it was not pedestrian crossing. All to easy , i think i was just in a trance or something. yet on the way home after a nightshift i feel more alert (sometimes) :)

I blame the missus every time, come to think of it, she was in the care when I ran the orange light.

Always blame the wives. ;)

I tend to find that if I've finished a night shift and haven't got a duty for a couple of days I like to drive home with no music on and find it very relaxing.

Peace and quiet after sitting in a vehicle for many hours with the constant chirping of the airwaves and cleartone or the clutter of a working vehicle.

Just me, the road and two sleeping dogs in the back.

Heaven indeed.

Always blame the wives. ;)

Wives! You're a glutton for punishment. :rolleyes:

Mistakes are commonly made by all, just goes to show even the boys in blue admit to being human lol.

I guess that's why insurance is mandatory, if an officer of the law admits defeat, and knows his limits, little timmy whose father bought him a driving licence and sports car for his 17th birthday won't, and will have the reflexes of a goldfish...

My main enemy is distraction, I look at the car ahead move off at a rate, I glance for traffic on the roundabout and Cack myself realising the person in front abandoned their racing entry to the roundabout and if my feet do not move quickly enough my insurance will bend me over their desks.

I have been driving 7 years and still get caught out, no doubt many more will have driven countless more and suffer the same. The world is dynamic and unpredictable, I tell myself that now every time I get in the car, and just hope my brain and limbs have direct sight of each other.

i drove into the back of someone once.... while being distracted by a rather good looking girl in the car next to me.... ooooops...

Was only a little 5mph bump... but it was into a Merc CLS :(

i drove into the back of someone once.... while being distracted by a rather good looking girl in the car next to me.... ooooops...

Was only a little 5mph bump... but it was into a Merc CLS :(

LMAO oops :lol: :lol:

That's it, another women caused an accident... What can I say

I remember the first day I got my first car it was a few weeks after id passed my test, I came off the dual carriage way up to a round about and I distinctly remember looking onto the round about on the way up and seeing that it was clear and for some reason I didnt look again when I actually got to the round about and pulled straight onto it and just managed to get forward enough onto the round about to prevent a car spearing me in the side :/ that was just inexperience and a big lesson. Thats the only near miss I've had and it didnt half put the jitters up me

Come to think of it it was a woman in the other car that nearly hit me! It was obviously her fault! Haha ;)

When I'd just passed my test I used to have the habit of forgetting to put the car in gear before trying to pull away from junctions.

Scared a few people on hills that's for sure (including myself) :D

Haha I had it once or twice where id beem at a junction and went to pull put into small gaps in the traffic only to realise I was in 3rd gear or something therefore managing to get out onto the road very slowly infrontnof oncoming traffic before I realised what the problem was. Inexperience again lol. Its true what they say-you only realy start learning to drive when you pass your test and you're out there yourself. Im a much better driver now than I was 4 years ago. Its not your own driving you need to worry about its other peoples lol