Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whats This On A Disc ?

martyntdci

I bought these for the focus, any way upon cleaning the grease of prior to fitting one disc is sound, the other 1 i came across this and i am very very stumpped.......

post-34591-0-48068700-1358021253_thumb.j

post-34591-0-88668000-1358021330_thumb.j

any ideas? when i got in contact with the company they said is was where they were balanced to run true.... ive never never seen these on the amount of discs i fitted in the past (old job) and when i done it on my own car etc.....

They are indeed to allow it to run true or balanced so to speak and allow water and dust to dissapate easily its more common on drilled disks

Is it a wear indicator???

Probably not, but is it worth taking it back and seeing another pair of discs??

Ive never seen it either!

EDIT: Just seen above post! Well you learn something new every day!

They are indeed to allow it to run true or balanced so to speak

why only on 1 disc then? i thought it should have a full wall all the way round? that why they give disc wear etc....

Not sure why it would be one disk to be honest drilled disks have a tendancy to crack so these grooves allow dust and water to be blown off the disk allow more air between the disks to aid cooling

so either disc then is a dud then? tbh i thought they only cracked etc when used on track days? along with these i have goodridge braided hoses and some esp brake fluid to flush system..... thanks for this

The disks will be fine i reckon did they come marked as to which side they fit ide imagine the disk with the groove would be for the drivers side

same as stated above, you learn something new everyday..... ive just never seen this before, even my other drilled/grooved disks dont have this marking on!!!

I would at least go and check another set , on the one side it looks like you only have about 4mm , if you keep car long enough to wear that down it could rip your pads apart

going keep the car for quite a few years yet. got a little cash thrown into it lol.... got new pads here to fit also. thats what worries me, how thin those walls are........ and its just not the tip whats cut out, its all the way down to the vents, so its about 7-8mm deep also

i would not be happy with them , vents and holes , yes i have seen them but never that much bored out of them , to remove that much metal if they were out of true , shows they were bad from the word go , and usually they are machined true , not cut out.

so im right in asking for either a refund or a exhange.....

Thanks for the info by the way.....

If they were both the same , then maybe they can say it's balancing , but they are not the same , i would ask to view other and exchange. Customer is always right :)

im sorry about this but its bugging me.... how much brake ware are you allowed on a disc before they need changing? in theory if i decide to use them i only have 3mm (just measured) of wall to use before i hit the cut out.. so after 3mm i need to replace the set..... both walls are 9mm thick, i have 3mm i can use the rest is cut out....

Good question , i'm sure if they were worn to 3mm they would fail MOT

Good question , i'm sure if they were worn to 3mm they would fail MOT

i mean i have the use of 3mm, the other 6mm (which makes up the rest of a wall) has been cut away lol

Looking at the pic on a pc rather than my mobile it does look a bit thin i wonder if they have mixed the disks up it looks like a race disk hmmm i think ide take them back i didnt realise how much disk wad gone

my prob is i got them of a company from a goolge search.... i carnt just go and exchange them... my next question,,, would you exhange the 1 with the cut out, for 1 with a full wall (like my other disc) so they make a good pair, OR send both back and try again??

I would request to send both of them back as a pair , they may have been balanced together.

the first picture also shows how bad the grinding out is as well.

ive just sent them a email, stating they are not fit for road use, the disc must have been fubarred from the begining to have a cut out like that, for them to exchange me them as a pair, and some discount of next purchase due to paying postage for return....... lets see what happens