21 replies to this topic

#16 dstev

dstev

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

Could be, not sure if the mondy may have had it replaced with an SMF, vibration I think is one indicator that they have a single wheel as opposed to a dual wheel.

Do you mean the car as standard may have a SMF? It was a lease car previous to me buying it so I doubt it would have been converted.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,873 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

Perhaps so, but even then, although serviced well, I have known many an ex lease car that has been converted! they dont want to have the car out of service unnecessarily costing money, so they will happily opt for the replacement with an SMF.

#18 dstev

dstev

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

It may be the case, but wouldn't it show on the service print out? There is 3 pages of work done to it which has everything on it from tyres to the DPF but no mention of clutches or flywheels.

Anyway, I think it's just a case of seeing how the car goes, I'll probably do about 4000 miles whilst it is in the 3 month warranty so if there are any immediate problems I'm sure they'll show up.

#19 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,873 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

best to use the car as much as you can so keep an eye on it, and if it was done as part of that service, it probably should show. If its the full service history and all receipts, its probably still DMF but just abuse your car for a while and record any problems you find with it.

#20 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

All mk4 Mondeos come with DMFs (dual mass flywheels) as standard

You can get single mass (solid) flywheels conversions but most dealers fit OEM DMFs

The clutch has a hydralic actuator/ CSC (concentric slave cylinder) - as far as i am aware, the adjustment is automatic, it does not have a cable - it uses a master cylinder and slave cylinder similar to a braking system (in fact it uses the same fluid resovoir)

If it is "taking up" at the top of the pedal travel it is probably at the end of its working life

If you had a traditional, cable clutch with manual adjustment, you would loosen it off if it was slipping and tighten it up if it was dragging

You asked if there is something they could have done to fix/ bodge the clutch - depends what is wrong with it (and they probably know fine it is not right, IMO - there is always a chance they are innocent though) -

If the DMF is on its way out, it may be depositing dust on the clutch, sticking an airline into the clutch housing in the right place to clean it off would be one way of prolonging its life

Bleeding the clutch may help prolong the demise of the clutch

The pedal mech could be "doctored"/ modified for more clearance or the pedal spring strengthened (so at least the weight of the pedal is not pressing on it)

The clutch plates may have been contaminated with something (water, oil or hydralic fluid etc) a mercyless uphill thrashing might burn this off

(these are just theories/ thinking aloud) (does the clutch feel different since the car came back? )

The garage/s job is to make money, not (nessesarily) sell cars, be nice to you or keep their customers happy etc

A clutch replacement would mean dropping the subframe and taking the g-box apart, (about 4 to £500 labor) because this costs so much the DMF abd CNC would normally be done at the same time (total £800 £1200 or more)

The garage obviously does not want to pay this in these hard times

Trading standards, CAB etc may be able to help

#21 dstev

dstev

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

Great post.

I personally think the Clutch may have become contaminated as I've driven it 200 miles now and there has been no hint of clutch slip. The car does vibrate still though and it did it pretty badly the other day, although it's not every time you accelerate. I'm just going to have to see how it goes, but I'll be putting some money to one side just in case!

#22 flying clutchman

flying clutchman

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Ford Model: transit2.5D
Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Considering the car has done 100k miles I'd expect the clutch/flywheel to be at the end of it's life anyway. Sure, some people will get 200k out of them but I've changed loads of these at 50-70k miles. Not the easiest job in the world but not quite as bad as people would have you believe. DMFs have become much cheaper now and you should get the job done for £600 all-in (bit more for 6-speed). Obviously these are not main agent prices!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users