Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Name: PAUL
  • Ford Model: mondeo 2007 2.0 tdci old shape
  • Year: 2007

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Good morning everyone,

I recently brought my mondeo and it did not come with a spare key, it is a 2007 old shape car.
I have taken a look around the forums to find how/where to get a spare key from but am returning to you as I could not get a conclusive answer. It seems you are able to buy blank keys that need reprogramming, can anyone give me some solid advice where to buy a blank and where I can get it reprogrammed-and the cost?
thanks in advance!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,053 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
Contributor

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

if you arent confident yourself, contact your local auto locksmiths. They can provide a key, cut and code as necessary and for a reasonable cost in most instances. If you wanted to do it yourself, you could buy a blank key from ebay with all electronics and chips, take it to timpsons or likewise and get it cut. There is a method in the Focus which involves putting the new key in the ignition and flicking between 0 and III on the barrell several times to code the key to the car. Not sure if the mondy's have the same practice though...

#3 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,235 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
Contributor

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

I'm pretty sure that Ford removed self programming after a certain date but for the life of me can't find a definitive date.
That system still required both original keys anyway so would be a non starter from the start.
I agree that you need to go to an Auto Locksmith, they will cut and code the key for you and at a fraction of what Ford dealers will charge.
You can programme the key to the central locking yourself, but the immobiliser needs programming with an VCM IDS tool. (Vehicle Communication Module / Integrated Diagnostic Software).
It will take about 30 seconds to programme the system for which Ford will charge at least an hours labour.

#4 bladeage

bladeage

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Name: PAUL
  • Ford Model: mondeo 2007 2.0 tdci old shape

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

Many thanks for the reply's chaps, I will give some local locksmiths a call.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users