Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible Power Steering Leak? (Picture Included)

woody190881

Hello all, (Apologies for the food related spelling mistake in the title!) :)

We bought our 55 plate focus 4 months ago.

Over the last few days ive noticed a few small fluid marks on the drive after moving the car. They are below the engine on the drivers side towards the front of the car.

I have put an old white rag underneath about 4 hours ago and just checked now. There is 1 small drop with another close to dropping. When i touched the drop that was ready to fall is was a greasy consistency fluid and almost clear.

The drip is coming from a metal housing (See below). My initial guess is power steering fluid? Does this seem likely? The steering has been fine and the level is ok, however when applying full lock either left or right, there is a noticable "whine".

Any help/advice appreciated!

2eb9ug7.jpg

There will be a whine on full lock or when the cars not moving from the location it looks like the pump or the pipe to the pump

Thanks artscot.

What is the metal housing where the drip is coming from? Is that something to do with the power steering or is it merely the point where the fluid is finding its way to the point of dripping onto the drive!

Looks like the aircon condenser sorry im on my ohone and the picture doesnt show up as well its dripping from above down onto that part

Sometimes it can be difficult to know where leaking fluids are coming from

Keep an eye on all the fluid levels (including engine oil, engine coolant, brake fluid (shared with hydralic clutch) power steering etc)

You could mark the levels with a felt-tip pen, or top it up to an exact mark, them monitor it (the levels can go up & down hot/ cold especially the coolant/ you can get a different readings on the level/ on an incline)

You can often tell by the color (Power steering fluid is usually red/pink or green, not clear - on Fords)

You can often tell by the color (Power steering fluid is usually red/pink or green - not clear)

beg to differ, i have some slick 50 left over from when i changed the power steering fluid on our scoob.... thats clear same as brake/clutch fluid.. ;-)

Is your focus the 'newer' shape? If so the 1.6 petrol is bad for the power steering high pressure hose failing... You might just have spotted an early sign of this - although any I have looked at the fluid has been red

tbh id check mine, but i carnt as its all electric....... sorry..

tbh id check mine, but i carnt as its all electric....... sorry..

is yours the 1.8tdci? does that not run an electric hydraulic pump? the fluid for this is actually hidden, accessed by removing the driver side wheel arch. atleast this is the setup my dad's 2005 mk2 used

yeah its the 1.8 tdci.... but its the face lift version.... apparently its all run by sensors. but will double check for you as soon as i can...

prob tomorrow night in the dark after work........ ur a bugger, you got me curious now lol

prob tomorrow night in the dark after work........ ur a bugger, you got me curious now lol

haha sorry mate :lol: i have no idea what the face lift version uses

am deffo looking tomorrow night now, and will post up results lol

Is your focus the 'newer' shape? If so the 1.6 petrol is bad for the power steering high pressure hose failing... You might just have spotted an early sign of this - although any I have looked at the fluid has been red

Hi, yeah mine is a mark 2 55 plate.1.6 zetec climate. Hopefully in the morning ill have some mote drips that might give a better indication.of the fluid colour. I'm pretty certain it is clear and from memory after checking inside the power steering container this fluid does look clear on my focus.

on other cars ive worked on the fluid has been red, like a auto transmition fluid, but just letting you know there is also clear out there. i can provide a pic if you want just to confirm....

That would be great martyn if you can. I'll get a sample from inside my power steering reservoir tomorrow then I know what colour the fluid actually is.

That would be great martyn if you can. I'll get a sample from inside my power steering reservoir tomorrow then I know what colour the fluid actually is.

im not saying stick your fingers in the power steering fluid but if you could compare the consistency and the smell of the 2 then it might help identify it too.

lol maybe a little taste;-) any way here's my sample unsure if you can tell

post-34591-0-92223000-1358116643_thumb.j

post-34591-0-00118800-1358116682_thumb.j

lol maybe a little taste;-) any way here's my sample unsure if you can tell

post-34591-0-92223000-1358116643_thumb.j

post-34591-0-00118800-1358116682_thumb.j

A shot of slick 50 :o

lmao, better than cod liver oil for those joints haha

Well slick 50 would make sense theres few places in that area brake and clutch fluid wouldnt end up on the compressor so that leaves steering fluid or an oil leak from the compressor or its simply from overfill

• 6 months later...

Finally got round to getting this fixed.

Since the weather warmed up over the last few months the leak was very very slow and intermitant. I needed to top up the fluid every 6 weeks roughly.

Mechanic had a look and it was the power steering pipe at fault, the joint that go's into the pump was leaking, albeit very little.

£220 later (New pipe and labour) and its fixed! :D

Wahey! Result and thanks for posting the results.

Funnily enough I drove to the pub the other day and someone walked in and said 'does anyone own the blue ford outside?' (De-badge for the win) went outside and he was concerned I was dropping fluid all down the road. Had a quick look turns out it was the A/C condenser draining off. I imagine that can cause quite a few concerns for people!

Wahey! Result and thanks for posting the results.

Funnily enough I drove to the pub the other day and someone walked in and said 'does anyone own the blue ford outside?' (De-badge for the win) went outside and he was concerned I was dropping fluid all down the road. Had a quick look turns out it was the A/C condenser draining off. I imagine that can cause quite a few concerns for people!

No problems Andy. It will give people an idea of what a local back street garage will be roughly charging. I heard horror stories over £350 upwards if going to a Ford service centre :D

I had that on my old astra, it worried me for a while until i realised what it was! :D

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club