Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'54 Tdci Ghia 2.0 - Gear Selection Sometimes Difficult - 4Th Especially

Iandb

Folks,

after some input to help resolve a likely fault so I can sound a bit more confident when going to the garage.

6 Speed Manual box - my first for a long time so I do not think it is me simply getting to grips with it.

Problem: I have some issues with getting into various gears, especially 4th. It is not all the time and the degree of difficulty varies. It is motly noticed when coming from 3rd into 4th and varies per the below:

• Goes in nice and smoothly and would not think it there was an issue
  • Goes in with some wiggling (go back to neutral and try again) and the crunching / grinding
  • Goes in with a bit more wiggling
  • Goes in with brute force but still getting the crunching / grinding

Also I some times have problems getting over to Reverse and or up into 1st if I've been stationary at lights etc, but not that often.

is there any thing simple that I can check that does not need the engine taking out...

Thanks

Ian

Hi, it may be the gear synchro or something as simple as the gear linkage needing looking at.

I had problems with reverse, 1st and 2nd on my Mondeo but never up as far as 4th. After a good bit of online research I diagnosed it as clutch master cylinder, had it changed and everything was back to normal. During my research though I found varying fixes from as simple as a gearbox oil change, to a full clutch replacement. Straightening out gear linkage cables which had become kinked worked for quite a few people also.

Quick question, do you have any issues with the ignition off or does all move freely? Mine was perfect with the car off, but stiff when cold, and loosened up as the car heated up .

Got progressively worse though, to the point where approaching lights and junctions I'd have to knock off the ignition, put it into 2nd, ignition back on and carry on from there! And 3 point turns were a nightmare, haha!

Thanks both for the replies. Took it to an independant near work but they do not do gear boxes and gave me some one elses card. So have them or even Mr Clutch is very local to work for a qwuick look.

Cheers

Quick question, do you have any issues with the ignition off or does all move freely? Mine was perfect with the car off, but stiff when cold, and loosened up as the car heated up .

Got progressively worse though, to the point where approaching lights and junctions I'd have to knock off the ignition, put it into 2nd, ignition back on and carry on from there! And 3 point turns were a nightmare, haha!

Don't know as never given it a thought to try. Will give it a go later and see how it goes.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club