Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Hatch

chasw

Has anyone else had this problem,red light on dash came on saying rear hatch open(when its not) and rear lock can be heard clicking whilst driving and now does not open with central locking,but will open with the key,guess its electrical,.......................................cure anyone?thanks

this is a well known problem with the c max,next the boot will start to unlock by itself when travelling. the fault is down to water getting into the lock due to an insuffcient seal around the lock. you can try drying the lock with a hair dryer and replacing the seal with some sillicone sealent. this has been known to cure the fault.

• 2 weeks later...
this is a well known problem with the c max,next the boot will start to unlock by itself when travelling. the fault is down to water getting into the lock due to an insuffcient seal around the lock. you can try drying the lock with a hair dryer and replacing the seal with some sillicone sealent. this has been known to cure the fault.

Hi my boot catch has just packed in (electronic catch) and the only way to get the boot open is with the third boot release remote button on the key fob. Is this the same problem? I haven't had it opening / closing on its own etc, just can't get in it without the remote button on fob (there's no key hole either). Is it an easy job to remove the electronic catch to inspect it?

Hi my boot catch has just packed in (electronic catch) and the only way to get the boot open is with the third boot release remote button on the key fob. Is this the same problem? I haven't had it opening / closing on its own etc, just can't get in it without the remote button on fob (there's no key hole either). Is it an easy job to remove the electronic catch to inspect it?

This happened about a week ago and i've sorted it today. The boot release catch is a sealed unit so if it has stopped working you will need a replacement (part code 3m51-19b514-ac) which set me back £27.59 from my local ford dealer.

1. remove the plastic cover inside the tailgate by removing the screws inside the hand holds and then pull it off.

2. trace the wiring from the release catch to the wiring loom and undo the clip in fitting.

3. Prise out the tailgate release catch using a flat bladed screw driver on either the left or right hand side of the unit

4. Pull out old catch unit and wiring (remember where it went)

5. Replace with new unit and re-attach to wiring loom.

6. refit plastic cover

i would sort it sooner rather than later as a few days after mine went, the radio would not turn off (fixed itself when new catch was fitted). The rubber seal around the catch seems of poor quality and it must be seated properly to prevent water ingress. I added a small bit of clear sealant to make double sure. The whole job took me about 45 mins (i'm no motor mechanic) and all you need is a bit of common sense.

This happened about a week ago and i've sorted it today. The boot release catch is a sealed unit so if it has stopped working you will need a replacement (part code 3m51-19b514-ac) which set me back £27.59 from my local ford dealer.

i would sort it sooner rather than later as a few days after mine went, the radio would not turn off (fixed itself when new catch was fitted). The rubber seal around the catch seems of poor quality and it must be seated properly to prevent water ingress. I added a small bit of clear sealant to make double sure. The whole job took me about 45 mins (i'm no motor mechanic) and all you need is a bit of common sense.

Good man, good man, cheers for that, i've just ordered the part over the phone, it'll be there tomorrow. Thats saved me alot of time and messin about. I'll let you know if i managed to do it tomorrow. Again many thanks :D

Good man, good man, cheers for that, i've just ordered the part over the phone, it'll be there tomorrow. Thats saved me alot of time and messin about. I'll let you know if i managed to do it tomorrow. Again many thanks :D

Thanks very much mart4856. Started it at 2.50pm and its done already, I destroyed the old one getting it out, in my hamfisted mechanic style but 20mins start to finish job done, works perfectly, cheers once again. PS my ford dealer quoted me £65+ VAT so you saved me @£45

• 1 year later...

Thanks very much mart4856. Started it at 2.50pm and its done already, I destroyed the old one getting it out, in my hamfisted mechanic style but 20mins start to finish job done, works perfectly, cheers once again. PS my ford dealer quoted me £65+ VAT so you saved me @£45

Hi all -

I have the same problem with my C-max. Could someone please clarify whether it is the catch/lock which requires replacing or the switch assembly?

Thanks!

Hi all -

I have the same problem with my C-max. Could someone please clarify whether it is the catch/lock which requires replacing or the switch assembly?

Thanks!

Hi

It was the switch assembly (the rubber encased switch you press to open the boot), the actual catch/lock that mechanically clamps onto the steel hoop on the boot opening was not affected on mine.

Hi

It was the switch assembly (the rubber encased switch you press to open the boot), the actual catch/lock that mechanically clamps onto the steel hoop on the boot opening was not affected on mine.

Thanks very much - I gave it a bash and it appears to have worked (although I too managed to completely wreck the switch I was removing!).

Part cost £17-odd new from a dealer on E-bay! Magic.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club