Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stereo Control Stalk Playing Up

gforce

Hi guys, thought I noticed my the stalk controls on the steering column playing up last night as I went to turn up the volume and it scanned up to the next station instead, but just assumed I'd hit the wrong button as the Scan down worked fine to get me back to my station and Vol. up worked fine then also.

But coming into work this morning it happened again so I had a little play around with it and it was seriously acting up...

Vol. up would scan up to the next frequency, Vol. down would turn the volume. But the strange thing is that when I held the Vol. down button, the volume went up to about 18, then started dropping back down again. And the Vol. up worked fine as well.

Basically, seems to be an intermittent fault but has anyone any experience of this or advice on how to fix? I haven't done anything clumsy lately that would have dislodged or damaged it, only difference (which is probably an irrelevant coincidence) is the recent drop in temperature.

Some sort of electrical short in the stalk? Just a loose connection? Cheers.

It could be down to the cold causing condensation in the switch, if it continues to play up and as a last resort, try to squirt a shot of WD40 into the switch.

WD is the answer to everything ;)

The contacts may have shifted a bit inside the controller.

It's easy to remove and replacements are cheap from eBay.

Cheers for the replies lads, will keep an eye on it over the next few days. If it continues to play up I'll take a closer look at the weekend and take it from there.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club