8 replies to this topic

#1 adymac

adymac

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Titanium 2.0l

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

Hi all,
This is my first post and so apologies if it is in the wrong place etc. Recently become the owner of a Mondeo 2.0 titanium.

I wondered if anyone could shed any light on a bit of an issue i have on my Mondeo.

Model - 58 plate Mondeo Titanium 2.0l - 69,000 miles

I bought the car second hand in Dec 12 ( 5 weeks ago) where the prev owner told me it had been stood for around 4 week prior to me buying it.
I took the car for a test drive and didnt notice anything wrong. it was in excellent condition and so i bought it.

I took the car in to Ford for a service just before xmas and they told me there was a vibration when idle (which i had noticed after driving it for a week). They initially thought it was misfiring but when that was not the case they said it was probably the flywheel worn and did i want it replacing there and then at a cost of £1400. I said to leave it for now and i am not really convinced that it is the flywheel.

The bonet and dash vibrate a bit when idle but not when driving, there is no vibration in the clutch pedal when idle or revving the engine, there are no noises and the gear changes are quite smooth. the vibration is noticable but not too much. There are no vibrations in the lower gears either.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what it could be and whether or not it is more than likely the flywheel?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Ady.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,059 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

Get a second opinion and check for worn engine mounts first

#3 BigD

BigD

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Name: -
  • Ford Model: -
  • Year: Non

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

Does the vibration go away/change when you press the clutch? If not, it ain't the flywheel.

My first thought is the idle control valve. You can remove it and clean it up, so all it'll cost you to eliminate that is the price of a can of carb cleaner.

Ford are !Removed! buggers with this policy of replacing stuff on the off-chance. Trading Standards should sort them out.

#4 adymac

adymac

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Ive checked the vibration when the clutch is pressed and there is no difference.

I have looked for the Idle Control Valve but cannot seem to find it. Is there an easy way of identifying it? The model is a 2.0 ltr Titanium, 58 plate. mk 4.

Thanks

Ady

#5 TDCiST

TDCiST

No Smoke No Poke... Unless you have a DPF!

• 1,651 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus Zetec S 1.6 TDCi
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Have you got a Haynes manual? If your going to work on the car yourself it would be a worthwhile investment.

#6 adymac

adymac

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Yes i have a Haynes manual for my model but the idle control valve is not located anywhere.

Thanks

#7 btmaldon

btmaldon

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,294 posts
  • Name: Bruce
  • Ford Model: Non Ford at the moment
  • Year: 2008

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

I suspect it is more likely to be a slight mis-fire. If it had been standing for a few weeks unspent fuel in the injectors may have varnished and is restricting the flow slightly. A good fuel cleaner in the tank may sort it but I would get the fuel filter changed first, if it hasn't been changed for a while.

A slight mis-fire on idle wouldn't throw up any codes and can be a nightmare to find what is causing it, which is why your Ford garage dismissed it. Our old SportKA developed the same problem everytime it was left for a week in the winter.

#8 adymac

adymac

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Thanks a lot for the replies.
I am going to get a fuel cleaner in to the tank and see if that helps.

I phoned a different Ford dealer earlier primarily to ask about the idle control valve which they told me are computerised on my model. I explained the issues i was having with the vibration and he basically told me not to worry and that due to it being a 2.0l the bonnet and dash will vibrate slightly. He said it is definately not the flywheel as i would know about it once that started to go. Also he said if it was his car he would not go to much expense in trying to eliminate the vibration as it will always do it.

Funny that one ford dealer wanted £1400 and the other one 10mile away said it is fine.

#9 btmaldon

btmaldon

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,294 posts
  • Name: Bruce
  • Ford Model: Non Ford at the moment
  • Year: 2008

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Thanks a lot for the replies.
I am going to get a fuel cleaner in to the tank and see if that helps.

I phoned a different Ford dealer earlier primarily to ask about the idle control valve which they told me are computerised on my model. I explained the issues i was having with the vibration and he basically told me not to worry and that due to it being a 2.0l the bonnet and dash will vibrate slightly. He said it is definately not the flywheel as i would know about it once that started to go. Also he said if it was his car he would not go to much expense in trying to eliminate the vibration as it will always do it.

Funny that one ford dealer wanted £1400 and the other one 10mile away said it is fine.

Think I know which one I would trust in the future.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users