Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fusion Warning Light

Bluetrackdemon

Hi,

I have a 1.6 TDCI Ford Fusion 2007. The orange Cog warning light has come on. I've replaced the whole throttle body and the light stayed off for nearly ten mins then came on again. Any ideas as i'm well confused now. ????????

Regards, Mike.

Yes they do... They are nasty plastic things that can snap!! My mate had the outer casing of his snap on his 1.6TDCi Fiesta...

Doesnt the cog light tend to mean transmission or drivetrain??

A diesel engine however operates quite differently. A diesel engine does not have a throttle body. The air entering the engine is monitored, but essentially unregulated; however much air the engine can pull through the intake manifold is how much it gets. When the accelerator pedal is pressed harder, the computer simply distributes more fuel into the engine, and the faster the engine accelerates.

The lack of a throttle body on a diesel virtually eliminates something called pumping losses. A petrol engine must pump air through the restricting throttle body in the intake plumbing, causing it to do more work and cutting down on its efficiency. A diesel runs on a more consistent flow of air, and only does what it's asked to do by the fuel it's given.

Forgive my ignorance... But then what did my mate have replaced... and whats this??

http://www.ford-peug...&product_id=363.

Also, the mapper who did my last car, spent a lot of time on air/fuel ratios.. so black smoke was almost non existant... if you chuck more fuel in alone, you get black smoke..

So it must be regulated in some way, otherwise why would you bother with a MAF sensor??

I know it has a throttle body as I have put a new one on today but i am well stumped as to what the problem is. The engine runs real nice and smooth then as soon as the orange Cog light comes on it sounds like a petrol would if you pulled a lead off a plug, realy lumpy. Turbo is fine and responsive and everything else works spot on. I've read it could be a glow plug off but it starts great and if so why not show on initial turn of the key. God its so frustrating.

You could look at injectors... leak off tests etc...

Thik its going to be a very expensive trip to a garage as i'm stumped and not skilled enough for stuff like that.

fair enough... if you find out let us know.. I'd start with a diagnostic check and see if any fault codes are stored... you may then find its something you can do...

Also, the mapper who did my last car, spent a lot of time on air/fuel ratios.. so black smoke was almost non existant... if you chuck more fuel in alone, you get black smoke..

So it must be regulated in some way, otherwise why would you bother with a MAF sensor??

this is why mine chucks loads out then, because its over fuelling so to speak.....

im wrong reguarding the tb, glad you can prove me wrong lol... tbh its on one of my book marked pages about diesel engines, and getting the most out of them, compression ratio's etc......... as im still learning, never really worked on a derv engine before (coolant changes etccc yes) but mainly all petrol....

Petrol euuurgh... The fuel of the devil!! lol

Yeah, no offence but a bad remapper will just turn up the fuel/inject more... A good mapper will adjust boost, play with MAF settings, injector durations etc etc...

If your after a good map for TDCi's I can recommend a good tuner...

Anyway, we are now waaaay off topic lol!!

I would like the details of the Good Mapper for future reference as i'm going to buy a Diesel mondeo next year, (18 month old one) and thought about a "Bluefin" or a self tune kit of some sort. Got to get rid of my 3Door cosworth first. :-(

Yeah, no offence but a bad remapper will just turn up the fuel/inject more... A good mapper will adjust boost, play with MAF settings, injector durations etc etc...

If your after a good map for TDCi's I can recommend a good tuner...

this is what i need lol. The bloke who did mine, just did a straight file transfer from a company on the net called midland mappers.... He seemed genuine enough tho.... the misses wouldnt let me opt for a live/open source map which is what i should have gone for..... anyway i was going to see if i could have this base map tweaked in anyway.....

it will be a sad sad day when you wave goodbye to a 3 door cossie!!

I'll be gutted to get rid of it but its sat in my garage for two years and never been out the street.

Anyway as for the Fusion i think i will change the glow/heater plugs and see if that works. Its a 57 plate 1.6 TDCI. Anyone know the part numbers so i get the right ones.

If it's Denso ones then the code should be QF18330 but check with Ford first to ensure they're the right length and rating.

The orange cog warning light (for older fiesta / fusions ) is for the semi auto EST transmission.

Seems strange that this comes on for you unless it indicates something else on later models.

I sold my cossie 20 years ago, its the only car I ever regret getting rid of.

Hi. Eventually got it sorted today. Fault code P0380. Glow plug system error. So replaced with new NGK's & new relay. Total cost off the self of £55. Light has gone off and car is driving like it was when I bought it new. Amazing that glow plugs can be such a pain. Did not need the new throttle body so going to sell it.

Cheers for all your help & hope this is useful to someone in the future.

bet your well chuffed its sorted now dude..... congrats, i recon it will be of use to somebody in the future

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club