124 replies to this topic

#16 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

And another car developed at the Nurburgring, James May will love this!

My only concern is torque steer, I'd be interested to know how well it can actually put down that 180 bhp.

Ive got about 180Hp (or my car does!) torque steer is not a problem, but traction can be a problem in the lower gears especially in the wet

A Saab engineer/ designer once famously said 200bhp was the maximum you could put through the front wheels, but traction control/ LSDs/ trick diffs modern wide sticky tyres etc have upped this limit a bit

A lot of powerful fwd cars are restricted in the lower gears

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,625 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Molten Orange Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Will definitely be buying one. What will the prices be?

The new Ford Fiesta ST will go on sale in the UK in April or May this year, with prices for the ST1 starting at £16,995 and for the ST2, £17,995.

#18 Nay ZS

Nay ZS

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Ford Model: MK7 Fiesta 1.6 Ti-VCT Zetec S

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

The enhanced torque vectoring control will go someway to helping it get it's power down out of corners. I believe it gets good praise in the Focus ST.

#19 MarkyR

MarkyR

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Mk7 Zetec S

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

I am going to be investigating this, the more I think about the more tempting the ST2 is, but I need to speak with my dealer as their are conflicting PDF's of the spec, some say it comes with EATC as standard and other's not? Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (aircon with the little display on it).

White of course with the privacy glass rear windows just like my Zetec S :wub: would not buy one until I test drove it though, reading the net some people have pre-ordered having never seen one in the flesh let alone drive it!!

#20 Mark M.K

Mark M.K

FOC Supporter

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,467 posts
  • Ford Model: 1.6 Fiesta Titanium
  • Year: 2010

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

I talked to the owner of the local Ford dealer here, and he confirmed they are getting a ST Fiesta in around 4 weeks time. Due for release in March :)

#21 StewartM

StewartM

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 1.25 Zetec 3 Door

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

A Saab engineer/ designer once famously said 200bhp was the maximum you could put through the front wheels, but traction control/ LSDs/ trick diffs modern wide sticky tyres etc have upped this limit a bit

Going off at a slight tangent, we tend to associate powerful RWD as being wayward in the wet. Years ago our local Traffic Police had a SAAB 9000 Turbo. They lost it in the wet one day, was off for 4 months getting fixed, had it back a month, lost it in the wet again and wrote it off.

#22 StewartM

StewartM

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

For an extra grand, the ST2 looks good value to me.

Once again, you are forced to take Privacy Glass to get other desirable items. I hate Privacy Glass. In all seriousness I'd like a new Titanium X, but would only have if Privacy Glass was a delete option.

#23 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

Going off at a slight tangent, we tend to associate powerful RWD as being wayward in the wet. Years ago our local Traffic Police had a SAAB 9000 Turbo. They lost it in the wet one day, was off for 4 months getting fixed, had it back a month, lost it in the wet again and wrote it off.

The SAAB 9000 turbo is FWD, not RWD (is that what you meant?)

Some of these FWD cars had lift- off oversteer, you need quick reflexes and talent to catch it - i was going to buy one once - but i changed my mind and got something quicker/ better instead (the 9000 is based on the (garbage) Vectra - both GM cars at the time )

One of the reasons ive kept my Ford for so long is i like the way it handles

#24 MarkyR

MarkyR

• PipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

The Ford Fiesta ST will cost from £16,995 when it goes on sale in April. That will buy you a Fiesta ST1, while the range-topping Fiesta ST2 will cost £17,995.

The Fiesta ST1 includes 17-inch alloys, front foglights, tinted windows, cloth Recaro seats, DAB radio and the SYNC voice-activated connectivity system, which features Bluetooth music streaming.

Upgrade to the Fiesta ST2 and you get LED daytime running lights, part-leather Recaro seats, climate control, a high-performance Sony stereo and keyless entry and start.

The new Fiesta ST will rival the new Peugeot 208 GTi and Renaultsport Clio 200 EDC. It’s powered by a 180bhp version of the Ford 1.6-litre EcoBoost engine that can power the Fiesta from 0-62mph in 6.9 seconds and on to a top speed of 136mph.

Both the 208 GTi and Renaultsport Clio will feature more power, but will cost from around £18,000. Unlike the Renault, the Fiesta ST features a six-speed manual gearbox. The Fiesta is also expected to return more than 40mpg and emit 138g/km of CO2.

To ensure that the new Fiesta ST is as good to drive as the larger Ford Focus ST, Ford has honed its hot supermini on the Nurburgring circuit in Germany. The Fiesta ST gets torque vectoring, 15mm lower suspension and a three-stage ESP system.

Inside the Fiesta ST gets a sports steering wheel, gearlever and ST badging. Buyers in the US will get a five-door version of the Fiesta ST, but UK buyers will be limited to the three-door model only.

Read more: http://www.autoexpre...d#ixzz2Ic8K6o4Y
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reading this spec list, the ST2 has everything I want off the shelf, bar the keyless entry. I don't like the idea of having to remember to press a button on the door to lock it, I am a bit paranoid and always like to check the car's locked too by trying a door but with the keyless system won't it unlock the car when you do that?
Wonder what the chance of getting £500 of that list price is?

#25 Mark M.K

Mark M.K

FOC Supporter

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

The keyless system can be by-passed by using the button on the remote if you wish. The door will only unlock when you press the button on the door, not by trying to open the door by the handle.

#26 MarkyR

MarkyR

• PipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

The keyless system can be by-passed by using the button on the remote if you wish. The door will only unlock when you press the button on the door, not by trying to open the door by the handle.

Ah cool, that's much better then. I just know I would forget to press the button on the door handle! Do the indicators flash when you press the button on the door handle too to indicate it's locked?

#27 Mark M.K

Mark M.K

FOC Supporter

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Yes, that is correct. It's just like pressing the button on the key, apart from it's on the door. Also on mine, the mirrors fold in. Be nice if the ST2 had this.

#28 MarkyR

MarkyR

• PipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Cool, yes, I haven't read that as being part of the spec but you never know. Doesn't seem to offer parking distance devices either as an option?

#29 StewartM

StewartM

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

The SAAB 9000 turbo is FWD, not RWD (is that what you meant?)

Some of these FWD cars had lift- off oversteer, you need quick reflexes and talent to catch it - i was going to buy one once - but i changed my mind and got something quicker/ better instead (the 9000 is based on the (garbage) Vectra - both GM cars at the time )

One of the reasons ive kept my Ford for so long is i like the way it handles

I was indeed referring to the SAAB being FWD, surprised the Police wrapped that rather than a BMW or Omega. The Rover 800 incidentally was a barge, but no handing/roadholding issues.

#30 Loz Cheung

Loz Cheung

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Name: Lorenzo
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2013

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

I read that on overboost, it produces 214lb-ft of torque - 15 more than my focus with the same engine!

If i were to go back to a Fiesta, this would be the model that'd tempt me :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users