Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Gone Wrong Again :-(

nuttyamy

So after weeks of problems with my car it appears all problems were sorted:

new battery, new cat, new spark plugs, new lambda sensor, new expansion tank, new thermostat and most recently new temp sensor.

We have had ALOT of snow over the last day or so as I imagine a few people have.

My Dad went to start my car today (it has sat there since Thursday afternoon it is now Saturday afternoon) and it wouldn't start.

He said it seems like there is no spark although it is turning over. He took te plugs out and they were all clean and there was no water or moisture on or around them.

Last week what I thought was the final issue was the temp sensor which was fitted by the AA when the car kept cutting out.

I don't want to have to call them out for this problem as well if I don't have to.

Anyone have any suggestions or is literally just the cold?

it's been one thing after another lately and now i just feel :(

Does it crank over but not start, or is it more of a ticking noise and no start??

Best way to check spark take each plug out and attach to leads then turn over and see if you get a spark simples.

Has any of this been diagnosed at a ford dealers? The reason i ask is i always say this they can check each and every sensor and find the cause the above seems hit and miss to cure a problem you havent diagnosed meaning youre wasting a lot of money fixing parts that arent faulty the aa hand held diagnostics is not accurate enough a temp sensor fault gives a general location of the problem not exact take it to a dealer and have it fully diagnosed it wouldnt have cost anywhere near what youve spent already

Has any of this been diagnosed at a ford dealers? The reason i ask is i always say this they can check each and every sensor and find the cause the above seems hit and miss to cure a problem you havent diagnosed meaning youre wasting a lot of money fixing parts that arent faulty the aa hand held diagnostics is not accurate enough a temp sensor fault gives a general location of the problem not exact take it to a dealer and have it fully diagnosed it wouldnt have cost anywhere near what youve spent already

that why any good hand held code reader will have live data

thats true but obviously either the one used is rubbish or the guy hasnt a clue with all thats been replaced and it still has the same fault theres a massive jump from battery to cat to crank sensor temp sensor and as i found out when my ti vct cam needed replaced only ford actually got the right diagnosis

If the engine is turning over, we can be sure that your battery & starter motor are healthy, and that the battery leads are secure.

So that leaves two main possible answers - no fuel, or no spark

As to the causes of those problems, it's a bit more tricky.

For example it could be:

Various sensors

Coil packs (although would all 4 go at the same time?)

Immobiliser

Fuel pump

Fuel sender (saying you have fuel when your tank is empty)

You could try various things until you find the problem, but a good code reading would probably be the best place to start.

thats true but obviously either the one used is rubbish or the guy hasnt a clue with all thats been replaced and it still has the same fault theres a massive jump from battery to cat to crank sensor temp sensor and as i found out when my ti vct cam needed replaced only ford actually got the right diagnosis

It was not the AA guy who suggested all of these things. Things started going wrong all at once and these were what my Dad and a friend (with a hand held reader) found to be the problem. The only thing the AA guy found was the temp sensor which incidently resolved the last issue that was coming up with the engine management light being on. The first thing he did when he arrived was plug his reader in and this was the only fault.

If the engine is turning over, we can be sure that your battery & starter motor are healthy, and that the battery leads are secure.

So that leaves two main possible answers - no fuel, or no spark

As to the causes of those problems, it's a bit more tricky.

For example it could be:

Various sensors

Coil packs (although would all 4 go at the same time?)

Immobiliser

Fuel pump

Fuel sender (saying you have fuel when your tank is empty)

You could try various things until you find the problem, but a good code reading would probably be the best place to start.

Having the AA guy out again, he changed a fuse which he said wass linked to the fuel pump and this resolved the most recent issue. He plugged in his reader and no faults came up after fixing this. He did, however, suggest that maybe my fuel pump and/or fuel injectors might be getting tired or as a result of the age of the car or that there might be water getting into the tank. He said if I start having this starting issue again it might be them.

Are they quite pricey to replace? And is it worth getting them changed anyway or just wait for it to go wrong again? I considered getting rid of the car but a friend said that the amount of money I have spent recently to get it running as well as it is, he said keep getting these bits done as and when they crop up.

Thanks for the hep so far.

i still believe if it was diagnosed at ford you wouldnt have needed most of that hand held readers dont always give the exaact issue for example my ti vct on a reader showed the issue as the ti vct cam solenoid this was changed and the problem re occured then the master tech at ford said he knew what it was and that the reader only gave a general location you need to know what else is linked to that solenoid to determine the fault it was the cam pulley

are they pricey yes very thats why ide have it diagnosed at a ford garage and then find out the issue it may not be what they think it is they dont deal in specific models where as ford do

also there are readers at fords that measure the pump the fueling etc etc a handheld wont do that