IINexusII

Serial Poster

• FOC Supporters
  • 458 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDCI Zetec Climate
  • Year: 2006

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Should be getting my solid blanking plate this week. I also have a Euro 4 engine so ill report back how it goes and if theres any codes or something :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 jeffnat68

jeffnat68

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Name: Jeff
  • Ford Model: focus 1.6 tdci estate
  • Year: 2007

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

I think I will buy an alloy one from ebay then use it as a template and make a stainless steel one out of one my wifes oven trays..lol.Just hope she don't notice it missing...

#18 Carl0s

Carl0s

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Name: Carl
  • Ford Model: Mondeo MK4

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

I think I will buy an alloy one from ebay then use it as a template and make a stainless steel one out of one my wifes oven trays..lol.Just hope she don't notice it missing...

I would just skip buying the alloy one. Take the egr pipe off, and you can use the end of it as a template :)

#19 jeffnat68

jeffnat68

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

good idea carl0s....

#20 jeffnat68

jeffnat68

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Got egr blanking plate today from ebay and decided to try and fit it.What a pain in the !Removed!.Took of everything according to Haynes manual but I just cant get the bottom bolt off the egr valve as I just cant get to it with a spanner or socket as the fuel pipes are all in the way and I don't want to risk breaking or kinking any pipes etc.So have decided to have a rethink on it.Is there a way that the pipe which goes from the egr cooler to the inlet manifold can be blocked in any way to prevent gasses going in the inlet manifold?Ihave taken some pics of it but don't know how to upload them.....Any help will be great...Jeff....Also an afterthought..would a blocked egr valve be better than a clean or new one?Seeing as the whole point in blanking an egr is to prevent the gasses from getting in to the inlet manifold so surely an egr which is caked in carbon and totally blocked or even slightly blocked will act the same as blanking it or deleting it?Also would it not be better to block the gasses after they have gone through the egr and past the cooler so the ecu still senses a flow of gasses and keeps the eml from coming on?I thought about sticking some exhaust sealent in the cooler pipe just before it goes to the inlet manifold.....

#21 jeffnat68

jeffnat68

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

DSC_0020_zpsd9d7f51b.jpg this is the hose that comes from the cooler into the inlet manifold.How about blocking it here???

#22 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:44 AM

Even if there is a tiny pinhole/ leak through the valve, it will allow gasses into the inlet, the exhaust is under significant pressure so the carbon is unlikely to be completely blocked, better for it to be completely sealed, reliably

you can block it at either end of the egr pipe (the blanking plate may need to be thicker closer to the exhaust- to take the increased heat) however, if you block it at any point along the tube, the flow will stop, and the ECU will not detect flow

Your pipe looks a complicated shape and appears to fit inside the cooler etc, it does not seem like a flat plate would fit on it, your idea of the exhaust paste may work (eg - gun gum) as long as you can get it to seal

#23 jeffnat68

jeffnat68

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

What I might do is take the pipe off that comes from the cooler and into the manifold and wedge a correct sized ball bearing in with some gun gum and refit.Do you thick it would work Foca?

#24 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
Contributor

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

Yes,may work, you have to make sure the ball bearing can't fall into the inlet or exhaust manifolds.

#25 Carl0s

Carl0s

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Name: Carl
  • Ford Model: Mondeo MK4

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

I wouldnt do that, just the combination of ballbearing + gun gum / exhaust paste / anything eaven remotely close to some sort of glue gives you the tickle of DIY repair whit plastic bands and ducktape.... :/

I would try to and fit the blanking plate according to the original plan. If there is atleast of ~10 - 15cm of fuell pipe between the fixing point of the pipe, and the point where you should bend it, it can actualy take quite a much punishment whitout having any effect... The main thing is to go by "feel" as long as its "springy" youll be all right. (i was able to bend the 1:st cylinders pipe nearly all the way to 4:th whitout any damage when i changed my injectors and seals)

But, if thats out of the books, i would take the car to metal shop that has a TIG welder, and a guy who knows how to use it. Then un-fix the egr pipe from the intake, and install round blocking plate inside, and weld it together (this is where the guy needs to know what hes doing, in order to seal it properly).

Or, another idea that just bounced to my mind: Unfix the pipe from the valvecover, the "lip" that goes inside the intake looks like the same diameter as eberspächer exhaust. Fix the eberspächer exhaustpipe to the EGR pipe, and route it somewhere under the car, and just install some cover to the intake, to prevent any dirt getting into it. Thisway, the egr remains "functional", there is gas flow, so you wount be getting any EML, but the gasses from the EGR goes straight out, and not inside the engine.

Now when i think of it, i think the best option is the second whit the TIG welder... Should be easyest, and somewhat most cost efficient, since any skilled welder should fix the plate in like ~5minutes... Just drive on the shop, pull your engine cover off, unscrew 2x 10mm bolts, and he can start welding ! You have a quick smoke / coffee / tea, and when youre finished, so should be the welder!

EDIT: But... still, personaly, im going to block the EGR as close to the exhaust as possible, stripping it off as much as possible... (tho, ill be doing it whit the engine out, since i need to swap it anyways) Just the idea of making the car breath its own excrement makes me want to puch in the face of the guy who invented EGR...

#26 lottysvdub

lottysvdub

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Ford Model: Cougar / ST24 / Focus Tdci

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

Jeffnat68
I have just ordered a blanking plate for my car..... I've fitted god knows how many egr valves to these engines but have decided to blank mine off. So when I've fitted mine if you like we could meet up and I will happily give you a hand with yours.
Blanking it off at the end of the pipe where it goes in to the top cover would almost be impossible due to the shape of the inlet..... I'm almost sure the blanking plate you have and what I have ordered will not take long to fit and your quite local to me.... I live near Verwood just north of Bournemouth.

#27 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
Contributor

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

I wouldnt do that, just the combination of ballbearing + gun gum / exhaust paste / anything eaven remotely close to some sort of glue gives you the tickle of DIY repair whit plastic bands and ducktape.... :/

I would try to and fit the blanking plate according to the original plan.

Fix the eberspächer exhaustpipe to the EGR pipe, and route it somewhere under the car, and just install some cover to the intake, to prevent any dirt getting into it. Thisway, the egr remains "functional", there is gas flow, so you wount be getting any EML, but the gasses from the EGR goes straight out, and not inside the engine.

Probably right about the ball bearing/ gun gum :)

Adding a second exaust would not work - especially if the egr is tapped off the exhaust manifold, because it would reduce the energy going to the turbine (turbo would not boost up)

Effectively its a second exhaust/ hole in the exhaust manifold that bypasses the turbo

And the ecu would not "see" the flow anyway

Yes, EGRs are a silly idea on a diesel engine

#28 jeffnat68

jeffnat68

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

Jeffnat68
I have just ordered a blanking plate for my car..... I've fitted god knows how many egr valves to these engines but have decided to blank mine off. So when I've fitted mine if you like we could meet up and I will happily give you a hand with yours.
Blanking it off at the end of the pipe where it goes in to the top cover would almost be impossible due to the shape of the inlet..... I'm almost sure the blanking plate you have and what I have ordered will not take long to fit and your quite local to me.... I live near Verwood just north of Bournemouth.

Thanx for the invitation mate but I managed to fit the plate me self on the egr valve and so far so good.I had to unbolt the fuel filter housing and shove it out the way so I could access the bottom egr mounting bolt.Just going to reset ecu and see if there is any difference in running etc..How you getting on with fitting yours?

#29 lottysvdub

lottysvdub

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Ford Model: Cougar / ST24 / Focus Tdci

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Hey Jeff
Not had a chance to fit mine yet as I ended up in hospital on Tuesday with a blood clot in an artery lol so the cars not been touched. Hopefully I will get it fitted in the next week and let you know how it goes..
Have you had any issues with yours since you fitted it like the engine light coming on or any other types of issues??.

#30 jeffnat68

jeffnat68

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

Sorry to hear that mate,hope all is well now.So far so good with the egr blanking plate.No eml on yet and car seems smoover throughout the gears apart from around 1800 revs but that could be due to the inlet manifold clogged up with carbon and soot etc,so when the better weather gets here I might have a go at cleaning it.I think I will take the plate out to see what it looks like and then take some pics to make a guide for all 1.6 ers to follow..

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users