Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D
  • Year: 2008

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

mines been working fine too and no MIL lights at all, plus she doesnt feel like she is gonna stall when pulling away which is another bonus.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#47 jeffnat68

jeffnat68

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Name: Jeff
  • Ford Model: focus 1.6 tdci estate
  • Year: 2007

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

Ok so today I fitted my blanking plate..... Like Jeff said move the fuel filter and mount out the way and it's easy.... Under 30mins in total to fit... On start up all ok so I left her to idle for a while..... No problems so off for a.20 mile road test with my Solus diagnostic system in the boot just in case..... Car feels smoother on acceleration..... I'm sure it is lol and no warning lights on at all so far. And it hasn't made the slightest difference to the heater in my car..... Lovely and toasty still lol.
I will keep on using it and report back with any issues but so far I'm well happy with it

Glad all went smoovely mate.Are you gonna clean all the carbon out of the inlet manifold?I think I will wait till the warmer weather gets here to do mine as its looks a right !Removed! of a job...Do you have a flat spot at 1700 revs.?Mine does so putting it down to carbon build up in inlet manifold like foca has mentioned before.Do you reckon spraying a good cleaner into the inlet manifold will clean it out?Just a thought... :)

#48 Carl0s

Carl0s

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Name: Carl
  • Ford Model: Mondeo MK4
  • Year: 2006

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

And it hasn't made the slightest difference to the heater in my car..... Lovely and toasty still lol.
I will keep on using it and report back with any issues but so far I'm well happy with it

When the temperature goes bellow -20, you realy want to get all the possible heat to the cabin :) So, i keep mine unblankt untill summer / i get some spare money to buy eberspächer :)

But dont get me wrong, i still think the EGR is in "hall of fame" of the idiotic invention, and it should be blanked. But, i just can bear any cold, so im holding on whit my knuckles white to any heat i can get :)

#49 jeffnat68

jeffnat68

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Name: Jeff
  • Ford Model: focus 1.6 tdci estate
  • Year: 2007

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

When the temperature goes bellow -20, you realy want to get all the possible heat to the cabin :) So, i keep mine unblankt untill summer / i get some spare money to buy eberspächer :)

But dont get me wrong, i still think the EGR is in "hall of fame" of the idiotic invention, and it should be blanked. But, i just can bear any cold, so im holding on whit my knuckles white to any heat i can get :)

we live near sunny Bournemouth where it rarely gets below -5 let alone -20 so shouldn't be a problem... :)

#50 lottysvdub

lottysvdub

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Ford Model: Cougar / ST24 / Focus Tdci

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

Hey Jeff..... Mine hasn't got a flatspot that I had noticed to be honest I will check it out next time I'm out in it. And yep I will take the manifold off at some point just to clean out the carbon..... But I will be using the company steam cleaner and then leaving it to dry out for a day or so..... I've done a few at work and most chemical cleaners seem to shift it but you can normally scrape out loads with a flat blade screwdriver.... You just need to be careful when doing so.... Also if your doing your manifold you will need to remove your injector fuel pipes as they run across the top of the manifold..... These should really be replaced as they arenonly meant to be used once..... But if your careful you can get away with using them again. If you want a hand when you do it give me a yell.....

Carlos...... -20 yep you need all the heat you can get mate lol...... I think I would be looming to make a heated steering wheel and foot pedals lol

#51 Giffer2

Giffer2

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Econetic

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

Is there a handy guide for blanking the egr?

#52 Carl0s

Carl0s

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Not realy.

Disconnect the vacuum hose from the vacuum pump (it blocks acces to one of the fuell filter braket bolt). Unfix 3 8mm bolts on top of the fuell filter holder, disconnect the hoses going in the fuelfilter (press the locking clip, and pull) and disconnect the connector on fuell filter. Lift the fuell filter off. Unfix the 3 8mm bolts holding the fuell filter braket. Now you should be able to see, and have acces to the EGT. Near the EGR connector you find one 8mm bolt on top of the EGR unit, and one 8mm under the egr. Loosen up the bolt, but dont pull them out, the seal will drop off. When you got the bolt loose, you see that the seal has small "ear" that you can get grab on using pliers. Grab the seal, and pull out the bolts so that the seal gets free.

Use the seal as template to make the blanking plate, or install preordered blanking plate.

The EGR Unit is also fixed on the another end by 1 10mm bolt. You dont need to unfix this, if you cant get the seal out after pulling the bolts off, you can bend the EGR unit backwards just a litlebit to create some clearance.

#53 lottysvdub

lottysvdub

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Ford Model: Cougar / ST24 / Focus Tdci

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

Or save a load of hassle and by the blanking plate from Ebay for £4.50 with free p+p then do the above and just back the egr bolts off and you slip the plate in without taking the egr valve off..... Nice and easy :)

#54 Carl0s

Carl0s

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

The egr is still attached by the 10mm bolt ~in the midle of the engine after you unfix those 8mm bolts. So the EGR stays on the engine, but you get enough clearance to slide in the blanking plate / slide out the seal to make the blanking plate.

If you got some spare metal, making the blanking plate is faster the :) Just use the seal as template where to drill the fixing holes, and using metal scissors roughly cut it so shape and install it back :)

#55 Giffer2

Giffer2

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Econetic

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

Not realy.

Disconnect the vacuum hose from the vacuum pump (it blocks acces to one of the fuell filter braket bolt). Unfix 3 8mm bolts on top of the fuell filter holder, disconnect the hoses going in the fuelfilter (press the locking clip, and pull) and disconnect the connector on fuell filter. Lift the fuell filter off. Unfix the 3 8mm bolts holding the fuell filter braket. Now you should be able to see, and have acces to the EGT. Near the EGR connector you find one 8mm bolt on top of the EGR unit, and one 8mm under the egr. Loosen up the bolt, but dont pull them out, the seal will drop off. When you got the bolt loose, you see that the seal has small "ear" that you can get grab on using pliers. Grab the seal, and pull out the bolts so that the seal gets free.

Use the seal as template to make the blanking plate, or install preordered blanking plate.

The EGR Unit is also fixed on the another end by 1 10mm bolt. You dont need to unfix this, if you cant get the seal out after pulling the bolts off, you can bend the EGR unit backwards just a litlebit to create some clearance.

Thanks, think I just found something to do with my week off! :-)

#56 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

You can blank the EGR without it affecting the cabin heater, just leave the EGR cooler on/ connected and blank it in-between the cooler and the valve/inlet manifold (so the EGR cooler works just as if it was unblanked)

#57 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D
  • Year: 2008

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

Is there a handy guide for blanking the egr?

i have put a link on the other page for the guide and blank...make sure the blank fits your engine as there could be different

#58 fyl

fyl

Settling In Well

• Members via Twitter
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Name: fyl
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 TDCi
  • Year: 2011

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

Anyone dyno'ed to see the effect of the EGR blanking on car's performance ? If yes, mind sharing your results ?

#59 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

Anyone dyno'ed to see the effect of the EGR blanking on car's performance ? If yes, mind sharing your results ?

I don't have charts but someone claimed + 5hp on a delete kit (the inlet was a better shape as well though)

On a mk3 Mondeo 2.2 diesel, there is a bypass kit that replaces the valve itself, it claimed an 11Hp gain

This was probably "hype" though - performance part manufacturers/ suppliers often seem to eggzagerate figures

I would not expect more than a couple of hp with just a plate though, and not at peak power, but at lower revs, on pick up/ mostly in the "EGR operation zone"

You can rest assured, there is a (small) performance advantage in blocking/ blanking/ disabling the EGR valve/ system

#60 Carl0s

Carl0s

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

I don't have charts but someone claimed + 5hp on a delete kit (the inlet was a better shape as well though)

On a mk3 Mondeo 2.2 diesel, there is a bypass kit that replaces the valve itself, it claimed an 11Hp gain

This was probably "hype" though - performance part manufacturers/ suppliers often seem to eggzagerate figures

I would not expect more than a couple of hp with just a plate though, and not at peak power, but at lower revs, on pick up/ mostly in the "EGR operation zone"

You can rest assured, there is a (small) performance advantage in blocking/ blanking/ disabling the EGR valve/ system

:) reminds me off the time my friend bought free-flow airfilter on his beemer. The box had big advertisement "+50hp!!!"... and after that were the small print "on dogve viper" or something like that :)

But, personaly i wouldnt think the powergain when bloking EGR. I would go more on the reliability, and the plain fact that combustion engines are not meant to run on theyr own exhaust. It was kinda shock when i disabled the EGR on my old mondeo, there was nice and steady 5mm layer of old exhausts going round the intake :(

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users