Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tdci Fuel Pump Tools

George Lawrence

I was wondering if anyone out there would be able to point me in the right direction in getting hold of a pump sprocket locking tool. I have got another pump with the same codes as the one on my motor, but have been told that you really need this tool. Hire or buy I don't mind. I live in Hertfordshire in case anyone fairly close has one. your help would be thankfully received.

Many thanks

George

Sorry, it is the fuel injection pump.

George

Unfortunately mine is a Delphi pump and I have been told this one will not do the job. I have hunted around but can't seem to find one for the Delphi pump. Also, I have spoken to a mechanic and he has advised me to get rid of the car, as once you have trouble with these pumps all the small filings go right through the system. He said it will cause problems with the injectors and the rest of the system. This sounds plausible to me ( I am no mechanic ) But surely there are many other tdci owners who have had the pump changed and all was back to normal ? I dont know what to do now, repair it or get rid. Any advice From you Clive or anyone else would be most welcome.

Cheers

George

TBH i'd try another mechanic.

Pumps can throw crap through the system but i've not heard of one frag the whole system.

May be worth biting the bullet and trying a Ford Mechanic for at least advice.

Saying that, even good reconditioned pumps are going for £500+ on eBay.

Try here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDEO-2-0-TDI-TDCI-TIMING-PUMP-REMOVAL-TOOL-/300787413692?pt=UK_Car_Interior_Accessories&hash=item460853b2bc for the tools you require.

it is believed that as the pump breaks down metal particals go up the high pressure outlet and into the injectors damaging the injectors, they are aslo returned to the tank via the return line from the pump. it is recommended with pump failure to remove the tank clean and flush, clean out all lines replace the filter, the pump the injectors and all high pressure lines to be completely confident that all metal particals have been removed from the system.

quick question what year is your car and what leads you to belive your pump is breaking down?

Thanks Clive, I think I will ask some more questions.

Chris these are the right tools, not cheap though. My car is a 53 plate 2ltr tdci ghia x estate ( auto).

I have been getting the flashing glow plug lights of doom for sometime, about 6 months. it has got to the stage where if i put too much load on the pedal the glow plug light will come on and in most cases it will cut out. I then restart the engine and all is well until

it is put under any strain again. this is happening 2 or 3 times on a journey, especially on hills. I have cleaned the EGR valve and MAF sensor, Changed the fuel filter and cam sensor. I asked a mechanic aout the crank sensor but he said it would not start if it was faulty. also the diagnostic came up with P0251 Injection pump metering control A. so the mechanic said in his experience it is the pump.!! I know this is a bit long winded but this has been going on for a while and i wonder if i am going to be throwing money at it forever.

Cheers for any advice you can offer

George

Just one other thing. For the last couple of weeks ( during all this cold and snow ) it has been a bugger to start. at first it took ages to fire, now I am having to give it a squirt of easy start. It fires up straight away and it is ok to start for the rest of the day.

George

In my opinion and only my opinion the pump is not your problem, but its the injectors i had a very similair issue with my mondeo tdci 115hp 54 plate would put the flashing glow plug light on when the engine was under load traveling up hill then after a while of doing that would put the light on then cut out once the clutch was depressed. i had a leak off test done and 3 of my injectors are leaking back in excess causing the pump to be unable to cope with the fuel quantity demanded and that is what throws the code up p0211 i was also getting p1211 fuel pressure related again.

try a leak of test at a local mechanic cost is not much and will shed some light on your problem. you more than likely have the same problem as i had as the symptoms are near identical

Thanks for the advice, I will try and find someone local to do a leak off test and post the results.