Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lost Key

fnkymnky

Hi Guys,

I lost my main car key last night (using the spare just now). Not quite sure if it was outside or it's hiding inside the girlfriends house. Anyway, I was wondering what the best thing to do is?

I have a spare, uncut, uncoded key but I'm not sure whether I should go the whole hog and get the ignition barrel, etc replaced?

If it's outside and someone tried to use it with the codes changed, would they still be able to open the car?

I'm not that clued up when it comes to lock-smithery! Any advice?

If you have lost it outside someone could have picked it up and quite easily come back to take your car. Not even sure if insurances would cover that kind of theft. I would ask the dealer if the immobilizer could be recoded for your blank key and have it cut as a minimum but they could still get in to the car itself using the key. Have you got lost key cover on your insurance?

If you have lost it outside someone could have picked it up and quite easily come back to take your car. Not even sure if insurances would cover that kind of theft. I would ask the dealer if the immobilizer could be recoded for your blank key and have it cut as a minimum but they could still get in to the car itself using the key. Have you got lost key cover on your insurance?

Thanks for your reply.

That's what I thought.

I'm not sure if I'm covered, I'll need to phone up tomorrow to ask.

EDIT: Just checked my policy documents and it seems they cover any loss or theft of keys and will pay up to a maximum of £100 towards the costs of getting locks changed. It's not much, but it's better than nothing!

I think what welsh_gal meant is that if someone came back and stole your car then the insurance company wouldn't pay out

Well 100 quid is better than nothing I guess. Get a quote from the dealer and from a reputable auto locksmith too :)

I think what welsh_gal meant is that if someone came back and stole your car then the insurance company wouldn't pay out

Basically the car is insecure, any theft can be potentially repudiated by the insurer if they find out you've lost a key and not got a locks change. It does vary though - I know we removed the stipulation that in order to fund a lockset there would need to be identifying material on the keyring, as it's an unfair policy term, but some insurers to still stipulate this.

As I've said with all claims questions prior - always let the insurer know the situation and take their advice on the matter. Record every call with them, take names, take numbers, take departments. We record all your calls as per requirements from the FSA so I encourage you to do the same with us.

End of the day, insurers administer policies and should know them off by heart if they're a competent handler.

Luckily, I got a phone call and they were found at my girlfriends house, intertwined within the sofa!

Always good to know what to do in that situation though. Thanks for your advice guys.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club