Do Not Sell My Personal Information

02 Focus Tdci Pas Not Working At Idle

Rob Bowes

Hello all I’m new to the forums and I have a problem with my car that I just cannot fix! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The car is a 2002 Focus 1.8 TDCi. While parking a few weeks ago the power steering suddenly went stiff. If you rev the car above 2000 rpm the power steering assistance comes back on.

I have replaced the power steering pump with one from a scrap yard but to no avail. Next I replaced the steering rack but the problem persists. The fluid is new; it has actually been replaced twice this month.

Somebody has mentioned the steering knuckle on the column becoming stiff through wear. I have also had mention of a filter inside the fluid bottle, and a wire breaking off a sensor in the high pressure fluid line?

There is no air in the system, but the scrap yard replacement pump is noisy while turning the car from lock to lock with the wheels on the ground and the bonnet up.

I’m stuck and running out of money because I got laid off from work before Christmas. Does anybody have any advice!!!

Unfortunately I cant offer too much, to be honest, you have done what I would have suggested...

There are no error codes that your aware of are there?

otherwise, you say after 2000 RPM its guaranteed to return the PAS working? if so, it sounds like it might be a bad earth point... I wonder if the juice is floating around the wires, but if its not earthed then its possibly not getting there until its under much more pressure...

Have you checked all the earth points as of yet?

Thanks for your quick reply, yep the PAS comes back on at or just below 2000 rpm. Do you think it would be worth replacing the plug to the pressure sensor switch? And do you know where it is earthed?

The problem I am having is that I am doing it on the drive and everything is so tightly packed under the bonnet I am struggling to see where bits are.

I know what you mean, I recently moved back to Ford from a Kia Cee'd and it really is a tight pack, I could play basketball in my old bonnet!

As for the earth, I cant say for definite, it tends to be on the bulkhead, or direct to the chassis - if you have a pair of ramps, get your car on them, then just follow the wiring around and see if you can locate it.

Yeah absolute pain to work on!!!

The car is on stands now so I'll get amongst it all and follow the wiring. I'll let you know the outcome. :)

My thoughts are you have bought another pump which is faulty (especially if its noisy) and that its possibly worn seals inside the pump making it unable to get the pressure up until the revs are brought up?

Hi Dan, with the wheels on the ground and the bonnet up the pump is really rather noisy, it's a kind of higher pitched whine as the wheel is through lock to lock. I don't have much experience of Ford PAS, my last Ford was a 1985 XR3i lol, so I don't know if the noise level is normal.

Is there any way to test the pump with it in situ, has I'd really like to leave it fitted if possible?

Thanks for your reply, all help is greatly appreciated.

My thoughts are you have bought another pump which is faulty (especially if its noisy) and that its possibly worn seals inside the pump making it unable to get the pressure up until the revs are brought up?

#

Hi Stef, That's two for the pump then :) absolute pain if it's a broken part... It's far too cold for spending all day outside fixing the car!

#

Hi Stef, That's two for the pump then :) absolute pain if it's a broken part... It's far too cold for spending all day outside fixing the car!

Without seeing it myself Rob, that's my opinion. If it was a worn knuckle I would expect excess steering movement, clunking or even some tightness but at any revs?

I know how you feel mate, this time of year is terrible for working on cars outside

I think I will track down a pressure guage and test the pump while it is still on, if I can find one to borrow or rent. I'll of course keep the thread updated so it's of use to others in the same boat.

My experience and knowledge is really on the electrical side, I have to agree with stef on the mechanical side.

I guess you checked the suspension/steering components (ball joints and bearings) when you changed the rack.

Yep the car is due an MOT so I have been through it all looking for wear and tear and everything seems ok on that front.

I'd say definitely another duff pump.

Sounds like the bearings are dragging and not allowing the pump to generate proper pressure at idle.

got to agree with the guys above a noisy pump at idle does sound like its duff sadly its usually the case at most scrappies that there test is basically spin it by hand if it moves its okay as stef said the knuckle would give other issues so i again say pump

It has done nothing but snow today but I am going to strip the pump out tomorrow weather permitting. I'll let you all know the outcome. And thanks to all for your advice, it is really appreciated.