Show
Photo

How Can I Prevent A Major Turbo Failure (Focus 1.6 Tdci 05)

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#46 lottysvdub

lottysvdub

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Ford Model: Cougar / ST24 / Focus Tdci

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

I  would recommend changing it if you can of don't mind paying to get it done.... 

My wife's car is a 56 reg 1.6 tdci and has just done 75k and the oil a day filter have been changed every 5k from new..... But recently has developed a whistle on boost..... I'm not too worried at the moment as I've checked the turbo and it has the correct amount of play on the turbine..... I can find no leaks from pipes but have noticed a slight leak from the top of the cam cover when boosting..... You can feel the air pushing out of the end..... Not sure why as I've never come across this with Citroen... Even my local ford dealer where stumped when I asked them lol.

Car still runs like a dream with no power loss or smoke so at some point I will get hold of a new cam cover and try it. 

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#47 JeffFocus

JeffFocus

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Name: Jeff
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 tdci
  • Year: 2006

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

Hi Graham

Thanks for the update. I think even though you've spent money on parts you didn't need, the knowledge that everything is ok is worth far more.

Quick question which would probably be answered in your guide...

How difficult was it to get the sump off? When I changed the oil I noticed that the exhaust covers some of the nuts holding the sump on. I would love to do your brake cleaner trick and clean the gloop out of the bottom. I think mine has a DPF which no doubt adds to the entertainment  :wacko:

Will probably attempt what you did in the autumn. If you could get your guide on here, that would be awesome  :) 

Also on a side note, I'm thinking of doing all the servicing from now on. Do you have or can point me in the right direction where it details when the other serviceable items need to be replaced, such as air filters etc. 

Thanks again

Jeff  

#48 grahamp

grahamp

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Name: graham
  • Ford Model: Focus Estate 1.6TDCi
  • Year: 2008

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

You can generate a service schedule at WWW.Etis.ford.com or the Haynes manual is pretty good, and of course this forum.

In terms of servicing yourself .. jacking / supporting is a bit sketchy, fuel system can be hard to prime, cabin filter is a bit of a pain, otherwise it's a very straightforward car .you might be able to get sump off without disturbing cat pipe but getting it on might be a pain.. it will have wet sealant, you'll need to get it over both bolt studs and there are a lot of bolts to torque up in 5 mins before sealant goes off. But it might be possible.

#49 grahamp

grahamp

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:17 PM

In terms of difficulty removing sump I did find it tricky which was mainly down to the fact I'd never done one before and they stick like limpets. I needed both studs removed in order to free it, sump removal tool to break seal and pry bar to lever it off. When it popped off I realised its pretty easy, i was just worried about knackering something.

I had bigger probs getting it on.. I think there's a slight manufacturing fault with the stud hole on the gearbox side. Oil can leak past the stud and Ford have a revised TSB for the sump where u go round both sides of the hole with sealant. I found the thread in the hole was slightly damaged, it was very tricky getting it started and when trying to torque to 12nm the end of the stud sheared off. A garage might use a tap on the bolt hole but a DIY guy without resources could be in trouble.

#50 JeffFocus

JeffFocus

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

So you think they'll be enough room to get to the sump nuts using say a ring spanner over the exhaust that covers them. Its just the actual separation and refitting that caused the issues?

#51 grahamp

grahamp

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

Dunno really... when I was thinking about doing the job I did wonder if I could get away with taking the sump off with the pipe in place, but as I always intended to tackle the turbo oil feed I didn't investigate. Its not accessing the bolts that's the issue, just the fact its just generally in the way. You could get under and have a look, measure the length of the 2 studs vs the gap between sump and exhaust, add a bit for manouvering and add a bit more for luck, and if the gap's bigger than the stud then I guess you might get away with it. You can access all the bolts with the exhaust in place I think, though tightening you should use a torque wrench...   

Haynes manual Sump Removal section says remove cat section of exhaust in step #3.  Ford's ETIS software doesn't mention it though.

Before I ordered any parts I made sure I would be able to get the exhaust off by undoing a couple of nuts etc, so if I were you have a look under and see what you think.

#52 JeffFocus

JeffFocus

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

Thanks Graham. I think if I'm going to the trouble of taking the sump off, I might as well check the banjo filter as well. Probably better to do that first as a base line and then just do the sump clean procedure every year after to be sure? 

Just ordered the Haynes manual as it will always come in handy I fear!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users