Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0 Duratec Non Starter

DrGadget

I have a 51 plate Mondeo. It has FSH. I bought it in June and the only thing it needed was a new coil pack which is why the previous owner was selling. I replaced that and has been fine ever since.

I parked it up in October 12 and not used it since. I di once remove the battery to jump start another car then refitted it. Have not tried to start the mondeo since oct 12. I noticed a bout a week ago that the alarm light in the clock was not flashing so I have had it on trickle charge for about 4 days. I needed to move it today and when I tried it started and it ran for about 2 seconds and then stopped.

I was aware that whe I parked it up it was very low on fuel and as my drive is on a slope thought there might not be enough fuel for the pump.

I put a fresh gallon in and still no joy. battery has plenty of life. Eventually put the car in reverse and got it off the drive winding it on the starter motor. Once on level ground tried again and still not starting.

The only thing I can find is a possible fuel problem. I had someone try to start the car while I derpessed the bleed nipple on the fuel rail. I was expecting fuel to spray out but nothing.

The fuse for the pump seems fine and I tested the pump relay and this is also working.

Could this have anything to do with either when I removed the battery or with the batter going flat?

Could the code between ECU & key be corrupted?

Coiuld the pump be seized where it has not been sitting in any fuel?

Not sure what to try next.

Thanks.

Is the starter motor turning? Or do you just get a clicking noise/dial sweep?

Assuming the former, I would hazard a guess at the fuel pump itself. But before you do anything, get hold of a code reader and check for any stored DTCs.

One thing you don't mention is whether it petrol or diesel.

If it's a diesel then the fuel lines and filter may have drained back.

You'll need to disconnect the pipe from the filter to the rail and use a pump to prime the filter until bubble free fuel comes through.

If it's a petrol then it may well be a pump problem.

Get someone to turn the ignition on but not attempt to start the engine while you have your head in the rear footwell close to the rear seat base, you should hear the fuel pump prime up for a couple of seconds.

D'Oh!

Just read through again, Duratec are petrol ain't they :P

Hi thanks for the input.

Yes it is definatley petrol plus diesel dont need a coil pack! LOL

Anyway yes the engine turns over no problem. It did start and run for a whole 2 seconds! now just turns over.

I did have someone turn the key while I listened at the fuek filler (with it open) and could not hear anything.

How do I get to the pump? Do I need to drop the tank or di lift the rear seats and access it from there?

Wayne

when you turn the key till the ignition position where the lights come on, you should hear the pump priming the system. if not then it could be a duff pump.

not sure what the access is to the pump on your car though

Do not hear any sound from the pump at all.

I know that on most cars you would hear a quick buzz then it would go quiet.

This is the pump priming the system.

I'm not hearing that at all.

Ok I'll have to lift the seats and see if there is access otherwise looks like dropping the tank.

Wayne

Hi again all. I'm pretty sure it is the pump. Can I check if anyone knows the wiring.

There is access to the pump from under the seat, however to remove the pump looks like I have to remove the tank.

There are 4 wires 2 for the pump and 2 for the level.

Thick GREEN with a Brown tracer - I assume this is the live for the pump?

Thin WHITE with red tracer - live for the sender?

Thin BLACK with blue tracer - negative for the sender?

Thick BLACK - I assume this is the negative for the pump?

Putting a multimeter accross the thick Green & Black I am getting 12v.

Wayne

Hi again all. I'm pretty sure it is the pump. Can I check if anyone knows the wiring.

There is access to the pump from under the seat, however to remove the pump looks like I have to remove the tank.

There are 4 wires 2 for the pump and 2 for the level.

Thick GREEN with a Brown tracer - I assume this is the live for the pump?

Thin WHITE with red tracer - live for the sender?

Thin BLACK with blue tracer - negative for the sender?

Thick BLACK - I assume this is the negative for the pump?

Putting a multimeter accross the thick Green & Black I am getting 12v.

Wayne

what you have said about the size of the wiring etc sounds right to me

ok so from haynes, removing the pump is a tank out job and they also recommend a special ford tool for removing the pump... but you could use pump pliers or a hammer and a chisel or drift..

removing the tank on the mondeo does look relatively simple though with only the exhaust in the way

Thank you.

I did notice something earlier when testing the wiring.

I connected my test light and when turned the ignition on the light came on but only for a few seconds. Roughly about the same length of time as the pump to prime.

So the system is thinking the pump is there? I have used a soft hammer to hit the top of the fuel pump access panel had hoped thet the shock might just be enough to get the pup working but this jhad no effect.

I'll see if I can find someone with a spare pump I can try before removing the whole tank.

Wayne

Try running a direct 12v to the pump so you can eliminate the wiring.

I'd also check the pump relay and cut off switch.

I have checked the fuel pump relay and this is working. I will try direct 12v to the pimp.

That's the only thing I haven't tried yet.

I have put direct 12 volt to the pump from a spare battery.

There is a small spark when the wires touch and the pump tries to operate.

So I think either there is muck trapped but very much doubt that or it has seized where it has been not submersed in fuel for a long time. Would filling the tank and trying it work or would that be a waste of time?

I have put direct 12 volt to the pump from a spare battery.

There is a small spark when the wires touch and the pump tries to operate.

So I think either there is muck trapped but very much doubt that or it has seized where it has been not submersed in fuel for a long time. Would filling the tank and trying it work or would that be a waste of time?

im guessing it has seized. you say it tries to operate, is it spinning or just making noise?

It is making a noise but not like it would do if pumping fuel.

It's not exactly a ticking, but a silgle tic as it tries to move but can't.

I'm now looking for info on getting the tank out.

It is making a noise but not like it would do if pumping fuel.

It's not exactly a ticking, but a silgle tic as it tries to move but can't.

I'm now looking for info on getting the tank out.

I cant really post the pages from haynes up - copyright n all that but i can type it up 'in my own words' if that helps? it does look easy enough on the mondeo tbh

That would be great thanks.

Wayne

will get this for you first thing tomorow morning

Just a random thought, have you checked that the fuel cutoff switch hasn't tripped out for some reason? It's behind the trim at the left hand side of the passenger footwell.

FYI, I had fuel pump changed on a 2001 Focus TDDI and it cost me £1,147. O_O

Hi Big D.

Thanks for that but I doubt that is the problem.

When I put direct 12v to the pump bypassing everything else it still does not work.

Wayne

Ok Wayne, hope this helps

1. Firstly depressurise the fuel system and equalise the tank pressure by removing the fuel filler cap.

2. syphon or hand pump the fuel from the tank - this is your only option if you so wish as your fuel pump doesnt work.

3. ensure ignition is switched off

4. fold forwards the rear seat base and remove the grommet to access the pump (you already know this though)

5. disconnect the wiring and fuel lines from the pump. mark the fuel lines if necessary for reconnection

6. chock the front wheels and jack up the rear of the car and support on axles stands

7. remove the fuel filter

8. lower the exhaust system in such a way you dont strain the flexi section or remove it completely.

9. remove the rear exhaust heatshield

10. if fitted with self levelling headlights you will need to remove the sensor

11. unbolt the rear suspension anti roll bar links. lower the bar down as far as possible or remove it completely

12. support the tank with a jack and block of wood

13. unscrew the bolt at the front of each retaining strap and rotate the straps at the other end to release (twist them through 90 degrees)

14. lower the tank enough to disconnect the charcoal canisters vapour hose from the top rear of the tank. release the locking lugs and disconnect the fuel filler pipe neck from the tank

15. remove the tank from the car, releasing it from the filler neck stub

16. if require the fuel filler neck can be removed. it is secured with a single screw in the filler opening and by two bolts to the underbody