Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Ford Fair 2016: Tickets and stand passes are now available to purchase. More info here.

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

carlddone

Windscreen Crack

8 posts in this topic

I have just noticed my front screen has a crack about 4-5 inches long from top and in front of driver view. I know its not repairable but I dont know whether to go through insurance company (£350 excess no damage to no claims) or search out a local garage. It is the front heated unit and I cannot find any prices online to give some idea of final cost if I go local. If anyone has had theirs replaced and can give me some insight I would really appreciate it.

You sure that excess is correct? I'm sure I only pay £80 if I need to replace the windscreen if its cracked...

I never thought to check that! thanks for that I was looking at the general policy excess. Will give them a ring when they open at 10.

Yes, its not repairable when its as big as that and it will fail a UK MOT - a chip can be up to a certain size if swept by the drivers' windscreen wiper, and a bigger size it it is outside this area

A new heated screen, fitted, could cost £600, apparently

The excess on a screen would have been £50, "back in the day" but is more liable to be £100/ £150 now depending on your policy

Have got it sorted with Directline/autoglass. repair tomorrow - hope I get home from work ok :( Thanks for the heads up on excess.

Its nice getting a new screen, you don't realize how scratched your old one was untill you get the new one fitted, worth fitting new wipers i left my old, damaged ones on and put a neat little scratch all the way round the tip of the drivers side - d-oh

No Worries :) I miss my heated screen :(

Make sure they know it's heated.

Some windscreen companies don't seem to grasp the concept.