Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen Crack

carlddone

I have just noticed my front screen has a crack about 4-5 inches long from top and in front of driver view. I know its not repairable but I dont know whether to go through insurance company (£350 excess no damage to no claims) or search out a local garage. It is the front heated unit and I cannot find any prices online to give some idea of final cost if I go local. If anyone has had theirs replaced and can give me some insight I would really appreciate it.

You sure that excess is correct? I'm sure I only pay £80 if I need to replace the windscreen if its cracked...

I never thought to check that! thanks for that I was looking at the general policy excess. Will give them a ring when they open at 10.

Yes, its not repairable when its as big as that and it will fail a UK MOT - a chip can be up to a certain size if swept by the drivers' windscreen wiper, and a bigger size it it is outside this area

A new heated screen, fitted, could cost £600, apparently

The excess on a screen would have been £50, "back in the day" but is more liable to be £100/ £150 now depending on your policy

Have got it sorted with Directline/autoglass. repair tomorrow - hope I get home from work ok :( Thanks for the heads up on excess.

Its nice getting a new screen, you don't realize how scratched your old one was untill you get the new one fitted, worth fitting new wipers i left my old, damaged ones on and put a neat little scratch all the way round the tip of the drivers side - d-oh

Make sure they know it's heated.

Some windscreen companies don't seem to grasp the concept.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club