chrisgrov

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Flame

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:04 AM

Hi,
I
have a 54 plate Fiesta Flame,

I had my engine running while stationary today, and I pulled the bonnet catch to jump start my friends car. As soon as I pulled the catch, my engine cut out, and will not start again. The ignition does NOT come on, however there is still power to the lights, ect.

RAC mechanic came out, checked the fuses, swapped the relays, checked the ECU, no fault. Says it has something to do with the wiring loom. Is there a specific part of the wiring that could have given way / corroded?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,974 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:12 AM

Hi, first welcome to the Forum.
Is the bonnet catch near the internal fuseboard?
You may well have cought a loom bundle and moved a connection on the fuse board.
Try accessing the board and pushing the contacts into place.

#3 chrisgrov

chrisgrov

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:17 AM

Hi, thanks for the response.

The bonnet catch is located near the fuse board, but not in a position where it is likely to literally break or damage any wiring. The internal fuseboard is mounted behind the glove box, which is probably around 20cm from the catch.

Each fuse was checked and there was no fault found with any of them at all. My dad is going to have a proper look in the morning, just thought I'd try and get some tips or advice. RAC guy seemed quite experienced, and we agreed that these are such reliable cars, so the problem is rare. He also got into contact with a few friends who were also confused to what may have happened.

#4 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,974 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:42 AM

It's probably a good idea to get an auto electrician to have a look

#5 chrisgrov

chrisgrov

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:45 AM

Dad has a mate who can have a look if needed anyway. Thanks for your help Clive. Much appreciated.

#6 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,974 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:25 AM

You're welcome.

#7 Dan62

Dan62

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta
Contributor

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Hi,
I
have a 54 plate Fiesta Flame,

I had my engine running while stationary today, and I pulled the bonnet catch to jump start my friends car. As soon as I pulled the catch, my engine cut out, and will not start again. The ignition does NOT come on, however there is still power to the lights, ect.

RAC mechanic came out, checked the fuses, swapped the relays, checked the ECU, no fault. Says it has something to do with the wiring loom. Is there a specific part of the wiring that could have given way / corroded?

Did the RAC man check the fuses behind the battery and swap the relays in the engine bay relay box ?

When you say no IGN, do you mean the engine turns over and doesn't fire up or key position II not working and unable to turn engine over ?

The only thing I can think of that's related to the bonnet release is the Inertia Fuel Cutoff switch that's right by the bonnet release handle.

#8 chrisgrov

chrisgrov

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Yes the RAC guy did check all the fuses with a tool, and he also swapped the relays.

When I say no IGN, I mean completely dead. Key goes into the ignition, absolutely nothing. No fire up, no turn over.

I think the guy said that it maybe something to do with the module, which is going to be quite annoying to get fixed, as replacing the module means re-programing the engine and its computer or something like that.

#9 RonaldFord

RonaldFord

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Hi. I'm very interested in your problem. I recently bought at Mondeo MK2 with the same problem. I changed the ECU and took it to the agents to recode the keys. When I arrived there, they told me that they struggled for almost a year to fix this exact vehicle. They replaced the ECU, Fusebox, checked the internal wiring loom and still could not find the fault. I am now trying to fix a car that the agents could not fix. I will keep an eye on your problem. Maybe our problems are similar. Regards.

#10 chrisgrov

chrisgrov

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Hi there,

The problem was found and fixed this Tuesday gone.

My dad had an auto-mechanic electrician friend, who also couldn't find the problem. Anyway, after thinking and thinking, we went back to how it first started - with the bonnet catch being released and shutting off the engine.

After searching for a while, we found that the cables which run under the plastic along the passenger side of the door had slowly dropped, and ONE of these wires in the entire bunch and slowly severed through opening of the bonnet (Which is quite a force)

The guy soldered the cables back together, and hey presto, everything is fine again.

#11 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,974 posts
Contributor

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Well I was close anyway. :D
Glad you got it sorted in the end.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users