alexp999

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,563 posts
  • Name: Alex
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 TDCi 163PS Titanium X
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

I'm not going to retract what I said. I have already clarified that I feel there is simply too much reliance on technology, too much reliance on the car telling you what is wrong with main dealers.

This thread is not a witch hunt on technicians but the OP itself proves my point. They went to the dealer and paid 54 to be told a fault code, it's description and that it would need a new turbo if the problem persisted, while all along it was just a kinked hose.

Sure technicians are needed with cars getting ever more complicated but as has been proved with peoples experience with main dealers, but sometimes you just need to find what the car and diagnostic has missed.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 lottysvdub

lottysvdub

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Ford Model: Cougar / ST24 / Focus Tdci

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

In all fairness to the OP has had a bad experience and fortunately managed to find the problem. If the dealer concerned had properly trained techs they would have had to follow a set procedure for diagnosing the problem correctly.... Now this normally involves being online direct to the manufacturer where they watch everything you do so if your trying to make a warranty claim they can make sure your diagnosis is correct. If not they reject any claim and will not pay or authorise any repair work.
But it's also very time consuming and expensive to do this.
Chances are the OP was booked in and given an 1/2 hour slot to run a basic global ecu check to see if it was a simple fault or a ghost code...
If it's more involved the customer is normally then given the option to have a couple of hours spent on further investigation..... If the fault is found within the time all is good and well..... Most problems are solved well within that time and if like the OP found a damaged vac pipe its normally repaired at the same time at no extra cost.
Biggest problems I've seen are mechanics not being given the right amount of time to diagnose these problems..... These types of jobs are quite often given out to a tech who already has a job on the go and told to run a quick scan on that...... They quite often report back with the fault codes and ask for more time and then the service advisors simply bill the customer for the diagnosis and tell the customer that there car is knackered and they need to spend XYand Z on it to.sort it.
I've also seen in the past service receptionists and service managers plug cars in to diagnostic systems as the workshops too busy to cater for the booked in waiting diagnostic faults.
So I totally understand why so many of you think what you do of technicians and of dealerships...... But I wouldn't always point the finger at the technician who has looked at the car...... Between him and the customer there are normally 2 other ports of call and information and direction gets misinterpreted and then your problem becomes a personal dig at the technician.
I will also.say there are hundreds of so called technicians who are no good at there job..... I know I've worked with enough in the last 27 years but please don't tar all of us with the same brush...... There are thousands who are very highly skilled.... Who work ridiculous hours for a very poor pay packet and very little gratitude.

#18 alexp999

alexp999

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,563 posts
  • Name: Alex
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 TDCi 163PS Titanium X
Contributor

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

That's fair enough and while my initial comment did make a bit too much of a sweeping generalisation, from your comments and the experiences people have had with main dealers, there is clearly a problem in the policies and way problems are handled at main dealers.

The difference I guess is that you never actually speak to the person doing the work on your car unlike an independent. For example when I booked my car in for a service last time at a main dealer I asked the person I handed the keys to, to change the wheels over so the tyres on the front lasted a bit longer. It never happened. It is experiences like that which leaves you the feeling that unless the computer says to do something it won't get done. Although clearly there can also be communication break downs somewhere along the line.

#19 mayo10uk

mayo10uk

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Name: P
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Metal 132bhp

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Whatever!

Lol.

#20 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,608 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Even the most experienced or highly trained mechanics or individuals can have a bad day, and thats the way you have to see negative encounters. These are all personal views at the end of the day, and god knows - we will all have a gripe with our dealership at one time or another, and it can certainly lead to complete negative feelings about the group (tar them with the same brush).

Cars today are much more different than yesteryear, and what was old school mechanics is now 75% electrical readouts, and diagnostics via computer and 25% taking the car apart and putting it together again. That is inevitable and a sign of progress, but I can understand Alex's point, communication between a PC and the operator is one thing, communication between human's is a bit more difficult to manage :P

Never the less, its a great deal and a terrible shame that we move towards electronics controlling everything, it can be a perfect answer and can make life easier - take park assist for example - its brilliant if you cant park for toffee.... but if one sensor goes wrong, you could end up having park assist, park you into an expensive bill! I miss the days of a spanner and a bucket of grease being the answer to all my cars prayers, now it costs £60 plus a lot more for the computer to tell me what its doing wrong! :P

#21 mayo10uk

mayo10uk

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Name: P
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Metal 132bhp

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

Skynet is here ;)

Deal with it!

#22 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,608 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

lol, I could just imagine my car impersonating terminator ;)

#23 shamus1

shamus1

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Name: shane
  • Ford Model: focus titanium 2.0 tdci
  • Year: 2005

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

I took my mondeo tdci into ford with low power and no codes stored so out came the wallet on their advice needed new turbo,that didn't fix it,then new injectors no joy then new maf,new egr,new cam crank sensors,new egr turbo solenoids all with no joy and car handed back and they did not know so got shot of it,it seems even ford technicians fully trained were clueless on this one. oops my bad just realised its a old post.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users