Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing Rear Brake Drums/front Discs + Pads

DanGersFord

Ive got a mk 6 fiesta 03 plate and have just bought new rear brake drums, front discs and pads. Are these easy enough to change yourself or would i be better just leaving it to a garage?

Have the brake drums got wheel bearings already fitted? If not your going to need to get them too

Two minutes and ill check

Yeah they come with the wheel bearings

Yeah they come with the wheel bearings

I take it they are fitted though?

yeah theyre already fitted into the break drums

yeah theyre already fitted into the break drums

Well that has saved you alot of hassle for a start lol.

Front discs and pads are a breeze to change - make sure you have a 7mm Allen key though

The rear drums are a bit different - I take it you are changing the shoes too. For these you will need a good size breaker bar, 30mm hex socket and a torque wrench as well as your usual tools. I think the rear hub nut is tightened to 235Nm IIRC

Tbh I'm not sure there is much point in me banging on about how to change discs/pads and shoes/drums, I will more than likely confuse you or mislead you. I would recommend you have a look around on google for a guide for each. Both types of brakes are very similar on any car really with a few exceptions.

I would be happy to try and answer any questions if I can.

Remember to work on one side at a time if you are unfamiliar with the setup as this leaves the other side for reference.

• Like 1

Yeah ive got a haynes manual so im gona give that a read before i even attempt it. Ive never realy changed anything like that myself through fear that im gona put my brakes on at some traffic lights after and just keep going instead of stopping :lol: Im gona give it a bash, having looked at the parts they dont look like they'll be too much hassle to change. Ill have a look at the haynes maual tomorrow if i have any questions ill give you a shout :)

It's the springs that bug me on brake drums. Also be careful when you remove the shoes that the pistons don't push out or you will have a mess with brake fluid and you will need to bleed them.

Other than that, when you put the new shoes in with the adjusters backed off, fit the drum and press the brake pedal a few times, doing this will adjust the shoes to the correct position.

You might also find the old drums are difficult to remove - the shoes will have worn a groove in the drum and adjusted out.

Im used to having to bleed things anyway me being a gas engineer ;) lol where abouts in scotland you from by the way? just noticed your location there

Im used to having to bleed things anyway me being a gas engineer ;) lol where abouts in scotland you from by the way? just noticed your location there

It might be a good time to replace the fluid anyway? Especially after doing all that

I'm from fife so not too far from you lol

Awk aye lol only a few hours haha

The brake fluid was changed not long ago cus I had get my break hoses changed

Roughly 85 miles between us?

Ahh right. I can remember changing 4 brake hoses on a driveway once, covered in 5-6 inches of snow lmao. When I had braided hoses on the focus, one of the front ones had a slight split in it so I had to change them back to the standard ones until I got a new set.

Not had chance to look into it yet mate due to work, its our busy period at the moment. Going to try and get a look tomorrow. Havent even had chance to look at the haynes manual yet

Thats me fitted the discs, pads and brake drums with the help of the Haynes manual :) fairly sure ive done a good job. Gona get my mate to check it out at the weekend to make sure I havent guffed my brakes lol

Thats me fitted the pads and brake drums with the help of the Haynes manual :) fairly sure ive done a good job

top man :)

just the front discs and pads to go then?

Nope all done :) changed the front discs/pads last night. Changed the rear drums tonight they were abit tricky couldnt get one of them off but got there in the end :) just left the shoes the old ones looked ok

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club