Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Focus Titanium X
  • Year: 2011

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

Hi, lol what does clarkson know about driving economically? On a turbo I've found that it is better to keep the revs below that when the turbo kicks in, common sense says that on a forced induction petrol engine. My car will waft along at 30mph on the flat in 5th quite easily, I've seen the figures, in 4th, mpg is greater, not by much but every little counts. Engines are different, cars are different,after only 200 miles the OP has yet to become adjusted to the driving characteristics of the Focus...

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 alexp999

alexp999

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,579 posts
  • Name: Alex
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 TDCi 163PS Titanium X
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

Hi, lol what does clarkson know about driving economically?

He said it on one of the shows, key to driving economically is to not stop or not touch the brakes. He said it in his usual jokey way, but it is quite true. :)

#18 Dal.

Dal.

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus ST225

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

The old saying that the right pedal uses fuel whilst the middle one wastes it always holds true. Anticipation and smoothness is the key I've found.

Some fellow owners of Mk2 Focus STs like mine report about 20mpg whereas I do a good 75 mile run daily to work and back and still average over 30mpg after 15 months of ownership.

#19 Foci_st3

Foci_st3

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Name: D
  • Ford Model: MK3 Focus Titanium x

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

howdy!
i have the same engine, it started at 37 when i first had it and then slowly crept up to 40mpg. it hovers around 39.7 for most of the time +/- 1 depending on weather, mood over a week, or whether paps has nicked it!

I agree I'm getting these same figures running tesco 99 if I go on a long motorway run it will do mid 40s. All comes down to what journey your doing as I'm doing 250mils a week and its mainly A roads and a few B roads

#20 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,098 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
Contributor

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

Lol don't worry about the MPG , mines 29.2 :o , i do very short distance for one , 2nd i drive it like it should be driven , yes that MPG i have is rubbish , but the turbo is there to be used , so i make use of it :)

#21 DavyNix

DavyNix

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S 180

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

Morning All - amazing response, what a great forum! OK, so I'm a little less worried (thanks @Loz Cheung especially) and to be honest, I love driving it and the extras that they "threw-in" would make it hard to give back anyway.... although i'm not sure id even have the choice to give it back. So I'll take it all in and see how I get on over the next few months.

#22 DavyNix

DavyNix

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S 180

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

One last thing... Remapping... on turbo diesel it seems to always help with the fuel efficiency? Is that the case with these engines as well?

#23 Dal.

Dal.

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus ST225

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

My mpg only really went up after i moved from stage 1 to stage 2 with a larger intercooler. Counter-acted by playing with the extra power though unfortunately!

#24 cuke

cuke

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Focus Titanium X
  • Year: 2011

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

Hi, I think he was referring to the ecoboost engine that has the direct injection, similar to a diesel, that your doesn't. I don't think there is much difference in a petrol turbo between it being mapped or not, certainly it doesn't get any worse.I also drive mine for fun and don't care too much for fuel consumption as the engine makes such a lovely noise, with 32mpg as my minimum who's complaining...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users