Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Name: Ryan
  • Ford Model: mondeo TiTx Sport 173
  • Year: 2009

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

Does anyone know if that discount still works on pri racing for the green cotton filter? I'm only asking as there are a couple of kn filters on eBay and I am wondering if they are any good compared with the green cotton. As the green cotton has only 60,000 mile warranty and kn has a million mile.

So my question is has anyone used both of these filter and is there a diffence between the two?

Many thanks

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,337 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

panel filter or induction filter? panel filter then they are both good induction filter i wouldnt even put one on unlless you want less power

#3 footfistart

footfistart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

It's a cone type filter ie the e-2993 part number from on. Less power how come? Due to the fact that the engine would need to be 're calibrated? I assume that would be right but I would of thought that it would help a little bit by being less restrictive so that the turbo has a bit more of a chance to spool up better without strain of my right foot :)

#4 k13r4n

k13r4n

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 745 posts
  • Name: kieran
  • Ford Model: MK7 Fiesta Metal
  • Year: 2011

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

When you put an air filter on it obv increases air intake but also adds hot air from the engine bay to the cold air coming in hence the decrease in power

#5 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 10,103 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

It's a cone type filter ie the e-2993 part number from on. Less power how come? Due to the fact that the engine would need to be 're calibrated? I assume that would be right but I would of thought that it would help a little bit by being less restrictive so that the turbo has a bit more of a chance to spool up better without strain of my right foot :)

Ive never used a K&N but Green argue that their filters are better because they dont use machines to bond them like K&N
Green show K&N filters with glue covering the edge on the cotton restricting flow,
Green dont have this problem.

And to confirm,
If using your existing air box enclosure,
An upgrade induction filter will help both performance and mpg.
But if removing the air box enclosure to fit an exposed induction filter, then these suck in heat, but panel/air box filter upgrade is a good option.
And as far as im aware Ross at pri racing still has the exclusive offer of 10% off
See my fitting guide for the discount code.

Or if you really want to maximise induction, You could fit a K&N 57s system consists of bigger air box lid to house supplied bigger fiter plus optional cold feed side inlet port. Im tempted myself http://www.autospeci...oduct-1131.html

Posted Image

Here are some pictures of the edge on the green filter, no glue smear.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 footfistart

footfistart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

Wow thanks guys been a great help. Well I'm a kn fan as I had a big cone style on my fiesta and having that helped the car a lot. Dunno about power but fuel economy went up a he'll of a lot. Same driving and I could get 430 miles instead of 300 and to make it better it wasa fiver of eBay :) my fiesta was a 1.25 16v.
I may go with kn and perhaps getting the deep airbox for it also.

One thing I have noticed it that the snorkel. It stretches right across the front upper grill. Not sure whether to adjust it to suit. As looking at it you can take it off and looks like you get a stumpy snorkel intake. Whther that would make any difference at all who knows. There's a few kns on eBay for focus rs or the Volvo c30/v40 as the use the same filter plus having a million mile warrenty I may as well go with kn.

By the way it will be all enclosed as I don't fancy sucking hot air in. Defeats the idea of having an intercooler does it not lol :)

#7 btmaldon

btmaldon

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,552 posts
  • Name: Bruce
  • Ford Model: BMW 320i Coupe M Sport
  • Year: 2008

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I have been getting better performance from a Pipercross panel filter than I did the K&N one in my previous car that had the same engine. This just feels smoother and revs more freely.

#8 footfistart

footfistart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Really? Significant difference or just feel? I think I'll go for k&n I've used them before and and friends use them and can't fault them.
Is yours just a standard car or have you mapped it so you do feel difference? If that makes sense. I'm not mapping mine as warranty :( but being a 1.6 it's hardly worth it due to updating the clutch and what not....

#9 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 10,103 posts
Contributor

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

Really? Significant difference or just feel? I think I'll go for k&n I've used them before and and friends use them and can't fault them.
Is yours just a standard car or have you mapped it so you do feel difference? If that makes sense. I'm not mapping mine as warranty :( but being a 1.6 it's hardly worth it due to updating the clutch and what not....

Sorry to take this slightly off topic,
But i have my focus 1.6TDCi remapped last June from 90bhp to 120bhp
Havent heard anything about the clutch though, is their an upgrade available or where can i read some more information on this please.

As for the snorkle,
Some people remove it,
Ive still got mine in place but i did have the slam panel removed for a couple of weeks, while the slam panel was being colour coded i noticed a deeper roar from the engine and slightly more response due to the slam panel being removed.
I imagine the same results would be achieved by removing or modifying the snorkle.
If you have a dremil,
You could cut the long snorkle in to a wide angle scoop forcing air in from the front.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 footfistart

footfistart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

Well my focus is a 110 1.6 and I have another topic going which is about dpf removal and people were mentioning about the clutch and upgrading it. Can't really remember what was said but if you have a read up people were saying about different clutches and saying that my original one won't last if I was to remap it.

And snorkel well I'm sure I am able to modify by using the orignal plastic scoop and perhaps aiding the intake and try and turn it into a ram air. If I do so then no more puddle splashing :( lol.

#11 btmaldon

btmaldon

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,552 posts
  • Name: Bruce
  • Ford Model: BMW 320i Coupe M Sport
  • Year: 2008

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

With the K&N I didn't find any significant difference to the standard but I notice some with the Pipercross. The car is standard otherwise. I doubt in reality that there is much difference between any of them, it comes down to personal preference. I would say however the K&N filters are better quality.

#12 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 10,103 posts
Contributor

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

Well my focus is a 110 1.6 and I have another topic going which is about dpf removal and people were mentioning about the clutch and upgrading it. Can't really remember what was said but if you have a read up people were saying about different clutches and saying that my original one won't last if I was to remap it.

And snorkel well I'm sure I am able to modify by using the orignal plastic scoop and perhaps aiding the intake and try and turn it into a ram air. If I do so then no more puddle splashing :( lol.

Thanks mate will look in to it,

Regarding the existing snorkle,
Perhaps unplug it
Flip 180 degrees
Plug it in again
Then cut it off just inside the grill
Resulting in an extended front facing feed.

#13 footfistart

footfistart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

No worries.... Oh yeah that sounds like a plan I'll try that. Even when it comes to selling it there cheap as chips to get a new snorkel.
But like I say I'm a kn fan and I've got one on the way. So I'm hoping with will make some sorta difference. Still save money when it comes to service time as its one less thing to buy/pay for.

What sorta mpg do you get standard. I get 61 and that's motoway and town driving. And to add to that... I only do 35 mile round trip to work. And that's not really driving like a granny lol. And what about your tuned 120hp Kenny? Any difference in the mapping? Economy wise?

#14 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 10,103 posts
Contributor

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

No worries.... Oh yeah that sounds like a plan I'll try that. Even when it comes to selling it there cheap as chips to get a new snorkel.
But like I say I'm a kn fan and I've got one on the way. So I'm hoping with will make some sorta difference. Still save money when it comes to service time as its one less thing to buy/pay for.

What sorta mpg do you get standard. I get 61 and that's motoway and town driving. And to add to that... I only do 35 mile round trip to work. And that's not really driving like a granny lol. And what about your tuned 120hp Lenny? Any difference in the mapping? Economy wise?

61mpg is very good mate im Currently getting 1284km/798miles per 55ltr fill of Diesel thats around 88.3kpg or 55mpg on premium fuel
Thats with a 2.5" DPF back duplex exhaust, Green Cotton Induction filter, and ECU Remap.
Mostly motorway driving but does the school run mon-fri two weeks out of three.
I probably could get better kpg/mpg if i set my alarm early enough in the mornings for work lol
61 is very impressive though.
Im considering upgrade to focus 110 injectors, said to improve acceleration ànd may improve mpg too.

#15 footfistart

footfistart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

oh really?? was it better than 55mpg before you got all of that done was that the reason why you went ahead with those mods.

theres a few people on turbo diesel owners club who have the 90hp and put the 110 injectors in when remapping. seem to get good power from doing so.

yeah my car is doing 61mpg now and during the summer i get anything from 62-66mpg. not bad really. i just thought try something cheap and chearful to help the car along. and soon enough it will eventually pay for its self :) all being well lol

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users