25 replies to this topic

#1 Mustaine8661

Mustaine8661

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk7 Fiesta Zetec TDCI
  • Year: 2010

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

I know this isn't specifically a Fiesta question, however I could really go for some guidance!

Bought my second Fiesta on Saturday from a named dealer (you may have seen my rant previously ;) ) and they offered to tax the car for me.

Slight snag was that the person who part ex'd the car didn't bring the V5 or service book. Dealer says not a problem as he's got the lady coming on Monday with both, and he'll send them to me with the tax and a cheque for £50 for the inconvenience.

it's now Thursday night, dealer says not expecting to get the V5 and service book until Saturday. meaning he'll tax it then.

Tax runs out today. Can I still drive the car tomorrow?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,616 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Molten Orange Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

Legally - no.

#3 Mustaine8661

Mustaine8661

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

It's what I thought.

Laughably, he said I could still drive, and tell the police this story and it'd be fine as this allows as mitigating circumstances.

Is there anyway I can tax it without the V5 or reminder?

#4 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,616 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Molten Orange Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

Not that I know of, says you need at least one on the website:
https://www.gov.uk/t...r-ways-to-apply

#5 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,236 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

The law used to be that you had until the fifth working day of the expiry month to fit a new disc and the specific offence was failure to display a current road fund licence.

It's recently changed and not displaying one is not an offence in itself, the offence is now failing to own a current road fund licence, (this takes into consideration that most discs are now purchased online and some do have problems with reciept of their new discs).

A roadside check would be carried out and if it is found that one has not been paid for before the expiry of the old disc then an offence has been committed but if it has been paid for but not displayed due to non receipt you will be ok.

If the Dealer can prove that a new disc has been paid for but not received by them yet then you can drive your car upto and including the 7th of this month without a new disc being displayed.

If the Dealer can not or will not confirm that they have paid for the disc then DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR as you will be reported to DVLA, recieve a PCN for £80 and possibly end up with a DVLA fine of up to £1000.

Originally taken from DirectGov-

If you prefer to tax in the last few days of the month, there is now an exemption from the offence of not displaying a tax disc. This exemption covers the first five working days of the month and allows time for the new disc to arrive in the post.

Originally taken from Department of Transport-

The first of the changes has come about because DVLA has found that towards the end of the month, many motorists taxing their vehicle online or by phone do not complete the transaction when they realise that their tax disc may not be received in time for the 1st of the following month. As a result, from the 1st of September 2008, those buying their vehicle tax online, by phone or by post will be able to legally continue to drive their vehicles for up to 5 days while they wait for their new tax disc to arrive. This will only apply where the new tax disc has been applied for before the current one expires and motorists should continue to display the expired disc on their vehicle, until the new one arrives. This will be of great benefit to those motorists who have to leave buying their tax disc until the last day of the month, because they are waiting to be paid. They can now still do that, but also get the benefits of taxing online, by phone or by post.

I personally would kick off with the Dealer.

Have you received or do you need a current MOT certificate?

If so you could do this-
Taxing your vehicle without a V11 (tax reminder) or a Current V5C (vehicle registration certificate)
  • A completed V10 ‘Application for a tax disc'
  • A completed V62 ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate V5C’, if you don’t have a registration certificate
  • An MOT test certificate (if your car or motorcycle is over three years old)
  • Insurance that offers at least third party cover
  • The payment for vehicle tax (unless your car is exempt from paying vehicle tax)
As soon as you do this in a Post Office then you should recievea tax disc and can be on your way.

#6 Mustaine8661

Mustaine8661

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

Thank you for that!

I heard nothing over the weekend, so I'm really concerned now!

Will phone again tomorrow and hope this gets sorted. It's only £20 so I'd happily do it myself, but I don't have the "new owner/keeper" bit of the V5.

Will let you know what happens.

Cheers!

#7 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,236 posts
Contributor

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

Please do.
If they aren't forthcoming with the V5 then the last bit of info I posted will assist you in getting one sorted out.

#8 Mustaine8661

Mustaine8661

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

Ok, dealer confirmed today (9 days after original purchase) that the previous owner lost the V5, and she's had to request another V5 from the DVLA.

Been into the post office and on the phone to the VRO and both have confirmed that the car cannot be taxed without the V5 or new owner bit.

They did confirm I am not committing any offence by not declaring it SORN or not taxing it, as far as they're concerned, the car is nothing to do with me.

So very very angry at the dealer for this. If they'd told me when I bought the damn car, I could have at least taken steps. But no, that would be too easy!!

EDIT: oh and of course, if I crash the car, insurance is invalid.

#9 Mark M.K

Mark M.K

FOC Supporter

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,467 posts
  • Ford Model: 1.6 Fiesta Titanium

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Thats shocking! The dealer should never of sold the car without them having the V5. If i were you, keep it off the road untill its had change of ownership done, otherwise you run the risk of being pulled over by police and getting arrested.

Not that you can legaly drive the car anyway, but just incase you did for any reason.

#10 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,099 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

Thats a really bad dealer , they have taken your money quick enough , they should not of handed over the car until it was road worthy.

#11 limbo

limbo

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Name: Andrew
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.6s
  • Year: 2008

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

Take the car back and tell them it's illegal to drive and that you would like a loan car till its sorted. See if that works

#12 Mustaine8661

Mustaine8661

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

True!

To get this sorted I ended up having to go to the Dealer Principal.

They've agreed to tax it via the trade, although I have no idea what that means or why it couldn't be done sooner, but I've been assured that it is now taxed and the disc will on it's way soon.

Has anyone else ever heard of this?!

#13 limbo

limbo

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Name: Andrew
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.6s
  • Year: 2008

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

Make sure they have not put another owner on the registration document by doing it this way, I worked in the trade for a good number of years and never got round this issue?

#14 Mustaine8661

Mustaine8661

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

So two weeks on, still nothing. I've written a letter of complaint to the dealer principal telling him everything and basically saying I don't want the car any more.

I'd take it back to them but it's a 170 mile trip......

#15 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,236 posts
Contributor

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

You'll have to do like i posted earlier then mate-

Taxing your vehicle without a V11 (tax reminder) or a Current V5C (vehicle registration certificate)
  • A completed V10 ‘Application for a tax disc'
  • A completed V62 ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate V5C’, if you don’t have a registration certificate
  • An MOT test certificate (if your car or motorcycle is over three years old)
  • Insurance that offers at least third party cover
  • The payment for vehicle tax (unless your car is exempt from paying vehicle tax)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users