Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Road Tax From Dealer

Mustaine8661

I know this isn't specifically a Fiesta question, however I could really go for some guidance!

Bought my second Fiesta on Saturday from a named dealer (you may have seen my rant previously ;) ) and they offered to tax the car for me.

Slight snag was that the person who part ex'd the car didn't bring the V5 or service book. Dealer says not a problem as he's got the lady coming on Monday with both, and he'll send them to me with the tax and a cheque for £50 for the inconvenience.

it's now Thursday night, dealer says not expecting to get the V5 and service book until Saturday. meaning he'll tax it then.

Tax runs out today. Can I still drive the car tomorrow?

It's what I thought.

Laughably, he said I could still drive, and tell the police this story and it'd be fine as this allows as mitigating circumstances.

Is there anyway I can tax it without the V5 or reminder?

The law used to be that you had until the fifth working day of the expiry month to fit a new disc and the specific offence was failure to display a current road fund licence.

It's recently changed and not displaying one is not an offence in itself, the offence is now failing to own a current road fund licence, (this takes into consideration that most discs are now purchased online and some do have problems with reciept of their new discs).

A roadside check would be carried out and if it is found that one has not been paid for before the expiry of the old disc then an offence has been committed but if it has been paid for but not displayed due to non receipt you will be ok.

If the Dealer can prove that a new disc has been paid for but not received by them yet then you can drive your car upto and including the 7th of this month without a new disc being displayed.

If the Dealer can not or will not confirm that they have paid for the disc then DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR as you will be reported to DVLA, recieve a PCN for £80 and possibly end up with a DVLA fine of up to £1000.

Originally taken from DirectGov-

If you prefer to tax in the last few days of the month, there is now an exemption from the offence of not displaying a tax disc. This exemption covers the first five working days of the month and allows time for the new disc to arrive in the post.

Originally taken from Department of Transport-

The first of the changes has come about because DVLA has found that towards the end of the month, many motorists taxing their vehicle online or by phone do not complete the transaction when they realise that their tax disc may not be received in time for the 1st of the following month. As a result, from the 1st of September 2008, those buying their vehicle tax online, by phone or by post will be able to legally continue to drive their vehicles for up to 5 days while they wait for their new tax disc to arrive. This will only apply where the new tax disc has been applied for before the current one expires and motorists should continue to display the expired disc on their vehicle, until the new one arrives. This will be of great benefit to those motorists who have to leave buying their tax disc until the last day of the month, because they are waiting to be paid. They can now still do that, but also get the benefits of taxing online, by phone or by post.

I personally would kick off with the Dealer.

Have you received or do you need a current MOT certificate?

If so you could do this-

Taxing your vehicle without a V11 (tax reminder) or a Current V5C (vehicle registration certificate)

• A completed V10 ‘Application for a tax disc'
  • A completed V62 ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate V5C’, if you don’t have a registration certificate
  • An MOT test certificate (if your car or motorcycle is over three years old)
  • Insurance that offers at least third party cover
  • The payment for vehicle tax (unless your car is exempt from paying vehicle tax)

As soon as you do this in a Post Office then you should recievea tax disc and can be on your way.

Thank you for that!

I heard nothing over the weekend, so I'm really concerned now!

Will phone again tomorrow and hope this gets sorted. It's only £20 so I'd happily do it myself, but I don't have the "new owner/keeper" bit of the V5.

Will let you know what happens.

Cheers!

Please do.

If they aren't forthcoming with the V5 then the last bit of info I posted will assist you in getting one sorted out.

Ok, dealer confirmed today (9 days after original purchase) that the previous owner lost the V5, and she's had to request another V5 from the DVLA.

Been into the post office and on the phone to the VRO and both have confirmed that the car cannot be taxed without the V5 or new owner bit.

They did confirm I am not committing any offence by not declaring it SORN or not taxing it, as far as they're concerned, the car is nothing to do with me.

So very very angry at the dealer for this. If they'd told me when I bought the damn car, I could have at least taken steps. But no, that would be too easy!!

EDIT: oh and of course, if I crash the car, insurance is invalid.

Thats shocking! The dealer should never of sold the car without them having the V5. If i were you, keep it off the road untill its had change of ownership done, otherwise you run the risk of being pulled over by police and getting arrested.

Not that you can legaly drive the car anyway, but just incase you did for any reason.

Thats a really bad dealer , they have taken your money quick enough , they should not of handed over the car until it was road worthy.

Take the car back and tell them it's illegal to drive and that you would like a loan car till its sorted. See if that works

True!

To get this sorted I ended up having to go to the Dealer Principal.

They've agreed to tax it via the trade, although I have no idea what that means or why it couldn't be done sooner, but I've been assured that it is now taxed and the disc will on it's way soon.

Has anyone else ever heard of this?!

Make sure they have not put another owner on the registration document by doing it this way, I worked in the trade for a good number of years and never got round this issue?

• 2 weeks later...

So two weeks on, still nothing. I've written a letter of complaint to the dealer principal telling him everything and basically saying I don't want the car any more.

I'd take it back to them but it's a 170 mile trip......

You'll have to do like i posted earlier then mate-

Taxing your vehicle without a V11 (tax reminder) or a Current V5C (vehicle registration certificate)

• A completed V10 ‘Application for a tax disc'
  • A completed V62 ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate V5C’, if you don’t have a registration certificate
  • An MOT test certificate (if your car or motorcycle is over three years old)
  • Insurance that offers at least third party cover
  • The payment for vehicle tax (unless your car is exempt from paying vehicle tax)

I tired that.

I went to the Post Office with all the bits filled out, and they said that it can't be done that way & I would need to contact the Vehicle Registration Office to find out how to do it. When I called them, they said the car could not be taxed without the V5c, even it I went to the VRO office in Stockton, they wouldn't accept the V62 and V10. They needed me to send the V62 to them, get the new log book in the post and then tax the car with the V10 in a Post Office :(

Annoying.

Take the car back to the seller and tell them to lump it then.

They've lied to you and sold you an undrivable car therefore your contract with them should be void.

That's what I'm going to do I think. Never been so annoyed with a company before!!

Thank you for your help, I'll let you know what they say.

It's a shocking state of affairs when they sell you a car you can't legally drive.

TBH, they should not have sold it on until they had the V5C in their posession, how do they even know it's not stolen or cloned?

I would also be seriously looking into compensation for expenses and inconvenience, take them to the cleaners.

Dealer has come back to me and said that it's all just unfortunate set of circumstances.This is the official line i got;

The previous owner has requested a log book and paid the £25 charge, this was ordered on the 20th January so plenty of time for the DVLA to dispatch a new one and me to re-tax the vehicle in February. When the previous owner requested the log book she also put in writing to the DVLA that she was no longer the owner. Her log book was apparently sent by the DVLA but she has still not received it (I have experienced this myself with the DVLA on a few occasions during my time in the motor trade)

I then took it upon myself to tax the car via a V62 and V10 in your name as the previous owner had assigned the car to trade. DVLA stated this was not possible as the car was not assigned to the trade, we then tried to tax the vehicle in the previous owners name and DVLA refused to do so stating that the car was not registered to her. After countless hours on the phone and visits to the DVLA we have recently discovered that the DVLA WILL NOT TAX until the 22nd February as this is the date that there systems will transfer ownership. There is no way around it and I personally cannot believe that a government organisation can be so unhelpful in a situation where no one has done anything wrong

He's been very apologetic and offered to proved me with a hire car until the tax is sorted, plus £100 for the trouble so far.

Truth be told, I just want shot of the car and want to start again (the car I used in part ex has already been sold), just with a different dealer.

What do you guys think?

Your getting a courtesy car and £100, bargain! Don't blame the car, the dealers being helpful, take it and be thankfull he's being helpful.

Even though the they have made a bit of a mess of it at least the dealer is offering a courtesy car until it can be sorted and £100 as good will

OK!

In the end, they couldn't get a courtesy car up here so they gave another £100 to compensate.

Got the tax, service book and cheque through this morning. Only downside now I've finally got the service book, it's only got a partial history instead of full, and a post-it note saying the book wasn't stamped by mistake!! A little annoying, but hey ho.

Soooooooo glad it's finally sorted though!

What a trial of your patience.

Hopefully you get to enjoy your car now.

What a nightmare! Never seen anything quite so bad and I've seen a few stories!! What was the dealer you used? So I can avoid them...