Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New/replacement Key For 2003 Ford Fusion 2

999cameron

Yesterday I got my first car, a 53 Ford Fusion 2 1.4 Petrol. Unfortunately it only came with one key, and I would prefer to have a spare available. How would I go about retrieving/buying/having a new one made? Any help would be appreciated!

First, welcome to the Forum.

Buy one of these and call a local Auto Locksmith.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-FORD-MONDEO-FOCUS-FIESTA-PUMA-COUGAR-KA-REMOTE-KEY-FOB-/290839987476?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43b76a0514

The Locksmith will cut and programme your key in about 10 minutes and for far less than a main dealer will charge you.

Hi Stoney,

Thanks for the introduction to the forum.

Thanks for the help/information! What about the central locking, will they be able to sort that bit out?

Cheers,

Cam

They can programme the key to work the central locking and the immobiliser at the same time, they just plug a terminal into the cars data (OBD) port and it's done in about 5 minutes.

Great! Thanks for the information, you've been a great help :) Now to find an Auto Locksmith.

Cam

Be aware that Locksmiths still won't be cheap but i guarantee they'll charge a lot less than a Dealer will.

TBH you're best ringing for quites from a few places as the prices can vary wildly.

I'm lucky that i have a friend in the South West that does keys for me and any referrals i give out at a decent rate.

He cut and coded a flip key for me IIRC for £30 but that was mates rates.

I think he charges £70 for regular jobs but obviously of no use to you in Sussex.

Definitely get quotes and work from there mate.

I've been seeing eBay sellers offering to cut the key before shipping it to you.

If I do that, and receive my key, can I program it to the Fusion using my two existing keys (thereby ensuring I have a spare fob)? Or will I still need an auto locksmith to do something else with it?

I've been seeing ebay sellers offering to cut the key before shipping it to you.

If I do that, and receive my key, can I program it to the Fusion using my two existing keys (thereby ensuring I have a spare fob)? Or will I still need an auto locksmith to do something else with it?

How can they cut a key for you before shipping it? It would have to fit your car, and they wouldn't know the shape needed until they stuck a mould on your existing key or tailored one to the lock on your car.

If it's a Tibbe key -

KGrHqMOKjME0d2QwSVIBNnTRUTp_12-1.jpg

You can read the code off the key by eye.-

Some info.

keyreading.jpg

Yes, that's it. :)

So once I get my cut key... Can I fully program it using my two keys? Or do I always need an auto locksmith?

There was a date after which the ability to self programme keys was removed but not totally sure for your car tbh.

It was an ability on the MK1/1.5 Focus but not on the MK2 onwards so there is a possibility that you'll need an auto locksmith with an IDS pad.

Best thing to do is try yourself first and go from there.

A locksmith could do it in about 5 minutes.

ui

Yes, that's it. :)

So once I get my cut key... Can I fully program it using my two keys? Or do I always need an auto locksmith?

Please could you point me in the direction of somebody who would tailor cut the key?

Thanks

Cam

If you want to try programming your own new key.

Try this first-

PATS II (Immobiliser) System Programming

This needs the two original already programmed keys to access programming mode.

Insert the first already programmed key into the ignition and turn to position II

Turn back to 0 and remove the key

Insert the second already programmed key into the ignition and turn to position II

Key programming mode is now activated and you have ten seconds to:

Insert the unprogrammed new key into the ignition and turn to position II

Allow 10 seconds to pass for the system to exit programming mode.

Central Locking Programming Instructions:

Insert the ignition key and turn from position II (Ignition) to position 0 (All off) and back four times within three seconds.

Remove the ignition key. The locking control system is now in "learn mode" for the next 20 seconds and the red warning system LED should stay on continuously to indicate this.

During the 20 seconds press one of the transmitter buttons. The remotes signal and code number is learned by the locking module and is indicated by flashing the warning system LED.

Wait until learn mode times out (20 seconds) or switch the ignition back to ON.

ui

Please could you point me in the direction of somebody who would tailor cut the key?

Thanks

Cam

There are eBay sellers that will cut a Tibbe from a code, read as per my earlier instructions and send them the information-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-KEY-CUT-/271134049479?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item3f20d944c7

Or some high street cutters can do it for you too. (Some Timpsons may).

If you want to try programming your own new key.

Try this first-

PATS II (Immobiliser) System Programming

This needs the two original already programmed keys to access programming mode.

Insert the first already programmed key into the ignition and turn to position II

Insert the second already programmed key into the ignition and turn to position II

Key programming mode is now activated and you have ten seconds to:

Insert the unprogrammed new key into the ignition and turn to position II

Allow 10 seconds to pass for the system to exit programming mode.

Central Locking Programming Instructions:

Insert the ignition key and turn from position II (Ignition) to position 0 (All off) and back four times within three seconds.

Remove the ignition key. The locking control system is now in "learn mode" for the next 20 seconds and the red warning system LED should stay on continuously to indicate this.

During the 20 seconds press one of the transmitter buttons. The remotes signal and code number is learned by the locking module and is indicated by flashing the warning system LED.

Wait until learn mode times out (20 seconds) or switch the ignition back to ON.

I found this on the manual :) Is this all I need to program the new (cut) key - or is there another step I require an auto locksmith for?

As i said before, Ford did remove the ability at some point on the Focus (definitely on the MK2 and coincided with them going from a Tibbe key to the lazer type flat blade key).

At the end of the day it's worth a go, either it will work or it won't, no harm in trying first.

Better to see if you can programme your extra key for free first as i'm pretty sure you'd kick yourself if you called out a locksmith and they did exactly what I posted and charged you £--- for it.

But if it works for you then it really is that simple, no smoke and mirrors or sleight of hand ;)

BTW, what's curious to me is that my Parents have a 07 plate Fusion 3 and they still have tibbe keys on it long after all other Fords have changed to lazer keys.

• 1 year later...

Can I just get a basic spare key without programming it - that I can use in the door to unlock the car, boot and in the ignition?

Just as a back up if I lose the only programmed/remote key?

Cheers.

You can use a non remote key but will still need a programmed transponder in it or else you can't start the car.

Additionally, if you have the factory fitted alarm then when opening the locks manually you will need to put a transponder key into the ignition to deactivate it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...