Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Management Light

caazzaa

Hi any help or advice welcome, just bought a 07 ford focus sport diesel, driving it home and the engine management light came on after about 210 miles of driving, is this serious, never owned a diesel before, hubby has a 2l 05 plate mondeo diesel with no problems, well his eml has never came on.

Thanks Carol

Whew was it last serviced?

Common problems are blocked fuel filter or dirty air filter.

Could be absolutely anything Carol, will need putting onto diagnostic equipment to read the codes.

Will put it into the garage this week and keep you updated, thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Forgot to ask does any one know if the little code readers off the eBay web site are any good ?

Carol

You get what you pay for Carol, so a 30 quid cheap one off there may pick up some codes, but ultimately the more expensive equipment is what's needed. Not the kinda stuff your average home mechanic has laying about.

I think I will just rely on my mechanic at the garage instead of throwing money away, thanks for the quick reply mike.

Carol

Update on engine management light, after the diagnostic test the error is from the DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER DPF.

Garage does not want commit to the repair, so it's now sitting at a ford garage, he did give me a price for the part though, so I will know if after the ford diagnostic if they price me crazy money for the same part if it reads the same error that is at least I will know if they are ripping me off.

Carol

Ouch,,, this is the reason so many people opt for the 1.8 diesel, as it doesn't have the dreaded DPF. Hope all get sorted for you, as quickly and cheaply as possible.

Update on Engine Management light. Ford have had it on the Diagnostic tester and the fualt showing is an actual hose that leads into the DPF and no the actual DPF Phew!!

So thats the story so far, the hose is is being replaced tomorrow and hopefully once a recheck is done then it doesn't flag up anything else fingers crossed guys and gals, will keep you posted.

Carol

On the question of code readers, I bought one for a tenner, and it is a fantastic piece of kit, gives me codes, clears them, looks them up - all I needed was an android phone!

For a tenner, its worth a chance to get a little bit of information, a bit of research and logic even that can point you in the right direction...

That's really worth it, let me know the exact one you bought, sounds like a good investment for the future.

Carol