Photo

1.8 Tdci Euro 4 Egr Blanking Plate Good Or Bad?

1.8 tdci egr blanking plate black smoke

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

Could this be my problem on the 1.6 tdci ? I've bought the blanking plate just not had time to fit it. I've had it deleted from the Ecu but I've be told with the remap it could possibly still be opening slightly from the back pressure. It's causing an intermittent flat spot around 3000rpm its annoying and definitely not what you want while overtaking :-/

Always best to get a solid plate on there - then you know its not leaking and you don't have to worry about it 

There is often a performance advantage in twin plates (one at each end - the inlet end and the exhaust end) or even completely removing the EGR components / replacing them with smooth pipes etc (depending on the engine) some tuners make/ supply parts to do this on some cars  

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 WAZ91

WAZ91

Whizzle Dizzle

• FOC Supporters
  • 267 posts
  • Name: Warren
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8TDCI Zetec
  • Year: 2008

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

Interesting read there FOCA. ive toyed with the idea and would proberly do it however when I do mechanical things to my vehicle i just make things worse.

If the EML came on i wouldnt want to have to take it to a garage to be charged £60 for them to plug in.

Can you buy these readers that do the trick just in case?

#18 firetrappp

firetrappp

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Name: ali
  • Ford Model: ford focus
  • Year: 2006

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

Yes, a solid blanking plate can "fix" a faulty/ leaking EGR valve/system

the solid plate effectively disables the EGR system - so if it is not working right, (sticking, leaky jammed etc) the solid plate blocks this off, "fixing" the problem - this does not happen with plates with holes in them, plates with holes to let the gasses through need the EGR valve/ system to be working

A solid plate made of stainless steel, and decently thick, (aluminium can melt, mild steel rusts, if its too thin and its near the exhaust it can burn through) is the best      

i have been told after blanking the egr u need to remap the ecu and take the egr programme out , othervise eml light comes on or engine system fault and car goes in to the limp mode

is that true ? if its just the eml light comes on thats not a problem i can drive with light on it doesnt bother me but if the car goes in to the limp mode its impossible to drive ?

#19 IINexusII

IINexusII

Serial Poster

• FOC Supporters
  • 458 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDCI Zetec Climate

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

I've been running a blanked plate on my 06 1.8 tdci since feburary, no EML lights since.

#20 firetrappp

firetrappp

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

I've been running a blanked plate on my 06 1.8 tdci since feburary, no EML lights since.

gonna buy one now and get it done

did u get urs from ebay or home made ? and is urs got a hole or without hole thanks

#21 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

Interesting read there FOCA. ive toyed with the idea and would proberly do it however when I do mechanical things to my vehicle i just make things worse.

If the EML came on i wouldnt want to have to take it to a garage to be charged £60 for them to plug in.

Can you buy these readers that do the trick just in case?

Thank you, - you can pick up a code reader for about £20 or even less, then you can read/ reset  your codes as often as you like ("do the trick")-  the EML may not come on anyway, both 1.6 and 1.8 Focus TDCIs have had solid plates fitted by FOC members with no EML lights/ problems (only benifits) whether there emgines are Euro3, 4 or5 compliant  

i have been told after blanking the egr u need to remap the ecu and take the egr programme out , othervise eml light comes on or engine system fault and car goes in to the limp mode

is that true ? if its just the eml light comes on thats not a problem i can drive with light on it doesnt bother me but if the car goes in to the limp mode its impossible to drive ?

As above, the EGR has been blanked on several different engines/ models with no problems, it has not been nessesary to remap the the ECU for this - i have not heard from anyone actually have the car going into limp mode because a solid blanking plate was fitted, apart from rumors/ 3rd or 4th hand, so its probably BS

The Euro4 Mk3 Mondeos with electronic EGR valves will put the EML on, but will not go into limp (home) mode - this can be reset with a code reader, the Euro3 ones can have a solid plate fitted with no problems/ EMLs.

"Limp home mode" is where the ECU dedects a fault but allows you to continue with less power/ lower revs - so that you are not immobilised/ can "limp home" - hence the name it does not make it impossible to drive, and, of course, fitting a blanking plate would not cause this       

did u get urs from ebay or home made ? and is urs got a hole or without hole thanks

A blanking plate with holes to let gasses through defeats the purpose/ is a waste of time and does not "fix" a leaking or faulty EGR valve/ system like a solid one does  

Best to fit a solid one (stainless steel) or not bother

#22 stooge75

stooge75

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo tdci zetec

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

If you take your car to a polish mechanic,he will( or will know someone most likely) know someone who will map 'delete' the EGR out of even euro4 engines. Things have moved-on a lot this yr regarding EGR deleting etc. last yr i found only 1 person who claimed to be able to do it,but it threw up another problem code when done. Now though,its a different story,theres quite a lot of people doing it. Its just luck finding one. I had mines done ages ago & never looked back since. It'll probably cost you about 200/250 though.

#23 firetrappp

firetrappp

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

Thank you, - you can pick up a code reader for about £20 or even less, then you can read/ reset  your codes as often as you like ("do the trick")-  the EML may not come on anyway, both 1.6 and 1.8 Focus TDCIs have had solid plates fitted by FOC members with no EML lights/ problems (only benifits) whether there emgines are Euro3, 4 or5 compliant  

As above, the EGR has been blanked on several different engines/ models with no problems, it has not been nessesary to remap the the ECU for this - i have not heard from anyone actually have the car going into limp mode because a solid blanking plate was fitted, apart from rumors/ 3rd or 4th hand, so its probably BS

The Euro4 Mk3 Mondeos with electronic EGR valves will put the EML on, but will not go into limp (home) mode - this can be reset with a code reader, the Euro3 ones can have a solid plate fitted with no problems/ EMLs.

"Limp home mode" is where the ECU dedects a fault but allows you to continue with less power/ lower revs - so that you are not immobilised/ can "limp home" - hence the name it does not make it impossible to drive, and, of course, fitting a blanking plate would not cause this       

A blanking plate with holes to let gasses through defeats the purpose/ is a waste of time and does not "fix" a leaking or faulty EGR valve/ system like a solid one does  

Best to fit a solid one (stainless steel) or not bother

MANY THANKS FOCA

#24 IINexusII

IINexusII

Serial Poster

• FOC Supporters
  • 458 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDCI Zetec Climate

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

got mine from ebay and with no holes. make sure its a steel one.

#25 firetrappp

firetrappp

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

got mine from ebay and with no holes. make sure its a steel one.

just got one from ebay as u said james bought steel one with no hole

it has been nightmare for last 3 weeks

many thanks guys much appriciate it

#26 Blurredfocus

Blurredfocus

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Name: Ryan
  • Ford Model: Focus zetec s 1.6tdci
  • Year: 2010

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

Just fitted mine this morning before going for Remembrance Sunday only took 35mins to fit and finish flat spot completely gone. No warning lights, even though I've had a remap and Dpf removal already there is a slight difference in power delivery slight smooth and a subtle stronger pull throughout the rev range. All for 4.50 from eBay and 45 minutes work. It's a no brainer

#27 Blurredfocus

Blurredfocus

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

I will add the guide on here is very good thanks to whoever did it. However the 'just slide it in from the left' is easier said than done :-) keep at it loosening and try it etc and it will go. Having sausage fingers myself a pair of long nose pliers can be a handy tool

#28 stooge75

stooge75

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo tdci zetec

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

its easy if you slightly lever the metal pipe to the right . just slides in

#29 Blurredfocus

Blurredfocus

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

It's in now mate :-) just seems like it's going to be harder than it is when you first start offering it up.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1.8 tdci, egr, blanking plate, black smoke

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users