ben goddard

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Name: ben
  • Ford Model: fiesta
  • Year: 2010

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

i opened my bonnet to refill screen wash and now it wont close.

It catches on the safety catch, but not the spring catch.

so far i have tried removing the rubber studs to see if they were causing a problem, nope.

wd40 on the catches, nope.

so it now closes on the safety catch (with the yellow release) but not on the spring one.

as far as i know the cable under the bonnet looks ok (i think), i have included a picture, but i took the picture facing forwards, so its back to front.photo.JPG

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 rhoderunner

rhoderunner

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Name: Ian
  • Ford Model: Galaxy 2.0 TDCi Ghia
  • Year: 2006

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Hi Ben

I don't know if this will help, but I had the same problem with my Galaxy Mk3

Everything seemed to work ok (spring loaded locking mechanism - tested with a screwdriver :mellow:, released ok with the bonnet latch) but the bonnet just couldn't push the first part of the mechanism out of the way to get to the locking mechanism

So, being careful not to trap my fingers I just moved the yellow catch slightly while closing the bonnet and voila, bonnet closed ok

Hope this helps

Ian

#3 ben goddard

ben goddard

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

Hi Ben

I don't know if this will help, but I had the same problem with my Galaxy Mk3

Everything seemed to work ok (spring loaded locking mechanism - tested with a screwdriver :mellow:, released ok with the bonnet latch) but the bonnet just couldn't push the first part of the mechanism out of the way to get to the locking mechanism

So, being careful not to trap my fingers I just moved the yellow catch slightly while closing the bonnet and voila, bonnet closed ok

Hope this helps

Ian

thanks for the reply, tried it but no fix. it does go into the yellow catch easily, but not the spring one. it seems as if the spring catch, doesnt move :/

#4 rhoderunner

rhoderunner

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Name: Ian
  • Ford Model: Galaxy 2.0 TDCi Ghia
  • Year: 2006

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Could it be that the locking mechanism is in the locked position and just needs releasing with the bonnet latch in the car?

#5 ben goddard

ben goddard

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

Could it be that the locking mechanism is in the locked position and just needs releasing with the bonnet latch in the car?

i tried that. nothing happens, but (im no mechanic) that cable for releasing the bonnet, (that silver wire in the pic) seems like it should be attached to something?

#6 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

i tried that. nothing happens, but (im no mechanic) that cable for releasing the bonnet, (that silver wire in the pic) seems like it should be attached to something?

From the picture it looks like the cable (wire) has popped off the lever, have a go at re-attaching it/ get someone who can fix it, its probably a good idea to get it sorted because if you run the car with the bonnet not closing right air can get under it at speed and damage the bonnet/ windscreen/ roof

#7 ben goddard

ben goddard

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

From the picture it looks like the cable (wire) has popped off the lever, have a go at re-attaching it/ get someone who can fix it, its probably a good idea to get it sorted because if you run the car with the bonnet not closing right air can get under it at speed and damage the bonnet/ windscreen/ roof

yeah i didnt think the cable looks right, its not attached to anything, and i cant see where it attaches, do you know what/where it attaches to?

#8 jama151

jama151

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Anil

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

Hi, did u manage to figure out what was wrong as im having the same problem!

That wire is not attached to anything but rather is used to pull back the locking mechanism to release the catch. Unfortunately the locking mechanism is not moving forward on its own to engage once it has been released. Not sure if its just a wd40 job although I have sprayed on a little to no avail. Have managed to get the bonnet closed by simply pushing the locking mechanism forward towards the catch before closing the bonnet as normal.

Any help would be much appreciated!

#9 itsrelfy

itsrelfy

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Name: Adrian
  • Ford Model: Focus mk3 Titanium x
  • Year: 2012

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

I had the same problem a while back and tried wd40 but it didn't work. So I got a small wire brush cleaned it all an the got some spray grease. That worked a treat.

Once you've pulled the catch the cable don't do much it goes all slack until you close the bonnet back down.

Hope you get it sorted

Adrian.

#10 Stewie316

Stewie316

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Name: Kyle
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Titanium 1.4 - Hot Magenta

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

Wasn't this on the  Ford free fix list?  Mine did the same but during the service they  greased it with something yellowish.  Never had a problem since.  Guess they had problems closing it after they'd finished! haha

#11 SaraL

SaraL

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Sara
  • Ford Model: Fiesta

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:39 PM

Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem? My 2010 Fiesta has had an intermittent fault since I bought it new.   I thought the garage had fixed it but I can't close the bonnet today after topping up with screenwash.

Any ideas?

#12 matt141085

matt141085

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Name: Matthew
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S
  • Year: 2009

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

I had the same problem, ended up getting the AA out as I didn't fancy driving it home and couldn't lock it! He said it was a faulty bonnet catch but slammed it shut with brute force! I took it in to Ford and they refused to replace it even though the AA mechanic said it needed replacing!(It was under warranty at this point). All Ford did was to grease it up big style! Seems to have done the trick!

My suggestion is to either call your breakdown if you have it or grease the hell out of it! 

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users