Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2002 Tdci Won't Start.

R3eon

Hello all looking for help. I have acquired a 2002 zetec a tdci with 99k on the clock. It's a Non runner.

Problem is it won't start. New battery and will turn over but won't kick into life. Have detached fuel pipes from filter to the engine, no fuel getting to engine but is being returned. Even bypassing this an pouring straight from a funnel to ensure diesel is gettin to engine still nothing.

Snap on diagnostic computer finds no faults. Although sometimes when turning ignition in dials sweep up then down. Engine management light stays on. No figures on dash board just dashes.

Anyone give me a step for a hint?

it could be many things on a non start, the car is showing all the signs of a low battery or connection(dials sweep and dashes) if the eml is on there will be a code in the memory, is the reader your using compatable as diesel cars were not obd untill 2004 ?

It's a new battery that's now on the car so shouldn't be the battery. As for the scanner that could be the problem however it's a snap on one which u have to identify the car you are diagnosing. But the EML is not on now.

No sign of any fuel cut off switch I'm passenger foot well, unless it's anywhere else?!?

Does the car start at all now? if you put the headlights on as you try to start the car do they flicker like mad, and does the car click repeatedly?

Sounds like the batteries gone again, if your turning the key and getting barely any life and nothing more than rapid clicks then its not getting enough juice to attempt turning over the motor...

Have had the car connected to a brand new battery and still nothing. Just turns over doesn't burst into life.

ok given that its trying to turn over and fails, have you taken the plugs out and seen if they spark or glow?

my suspicions are fuel delivery, I suggest start with the fuel filter, replace that, the housing and seals. if the fuel flows up to their, theres your problem, if not, then you could have a blockage up at tank level...

That's my next point of call.

As I said took the fuel pipe off from the filter to the rail and there was no diesel coming through. But even with attaching a funnel and pouring diesel directly to fuel tail still no life.

fuel cut off is behind footwell side kick plate...other thing to check is if cam is turning by taking oil cap off and getting sum1 turn engine over and look

Have taken full kick plate off footwell. No sign is any fuel cut off.

Really is starting to rip my knitten. Could have to bite the bullet an ask ford.....

What's the immobiliser light doing when you try to start the engine?

as long as its not going nuts, or staying permenantly on, I cant see why the imobiliser would be at fault...

No it's not staying on or going nuts. Will b working on it all weekend but if anyone has any other info would b greatly appreciated.

Ok so ford technician had a look at it and tells me it the fuel injection pump. Not enough pressure at the rail. Been quoted 400 for the part. Anyone suggest of it's worth it?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so ford technician had a look at it and tells me it the fuel injection pump. Not enough pressure at the rail. Been quoted 400 for the part. Anyone suggest of it's worth it?

You can pick up a secondhand injection pump for £200 or less on eBay, it will have some sort of guanantee on it

its a personal choice whether you spend money on the car and depends on the value of the car, the milage, condition, if/ how long its taxed/ motd whether you bought the car for short or long term use,if its your main or 2nd car, your circumstances etc etc

the reason pouring fuel into the fuel rail didnt work is the fuel has to be at very high pressure (gravity/ atmospheric is not enough) unless its before/ to feed the (working) pump