Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ecoboost 1.0 - Difference Between 100Hp And 125Hp Version ?

NQbbe

Hi all

I've just ordered a new Fiesta 1.0 125hp Sport (Not sure the sport is available in all countries, it's basically a titanium with lowered springs, larger spoiler, larger rims, and so forth)

However I was wondering, what exactly is the difference between the 100hp and 125hp version of the engine ?

According to the papers I could find the 100hp version produces 170nm of torque, whereas the 125 version produces 200nm. I've however been unable to find out whether it's merely caused by the 125hp version having overboost and the 100hp not having it, or if they actually tweaked the engine somehow (thinking larger turbo pressure or similar)

So what I'm wondering is really: What causes the 125hp version to have those extra 25hp ?

If anyone has a dyno graph of the 100hp version that'd be a huge help as well (As I can easily find dyno graphs for the 125hp on google)

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide :-)

The 100Hp ecoboost is probably just a restricted version of the 125Hp ecoboost, phisically identical, but with a different engine map,

Sounds like a plausable explanation yeah :-) Hadn't thought about that.

Still if anyone has a dyno graph I'd be happy to see it :-)

• 9 months later...

I'm looking for a used race-red 5dr Ecoboost 125 Titanium model - but find them somewhat rare and there's no immediate way of telling which engine is fitted.

Therefore my query is:- Are there any physical signs indicating a 125ps engine - ie badging or engine configuration?

Incidentally, 125 ps = 123.3 hp. and 100ps = 98.6 hp.

MQ

I'm looking for a used race-red 5dr Ecoboost 125 Titanium model - but find them somewhat rare and there's no immediate way of telling which engine is fitted.

Therefore my query is:- Are there any physical signs indicating a 125ps engine - ie badging or engine configuration?

Incidentally, 125 ps = 123.3 hp. and 100ps = 98.6 hp.

MQ

It should show you which version (100PS or 125PS) on the ETIS, you could look this up if you had the reg. no.

It may also be on the registration document

Manufacturers often quote PS figures to make the figures look better, that were supposed to be obsolete, and members/ posters often get PS mixed up with Hp , there is not a big difference between PS and Hp anyway (0.4% on your figures)

Collins performance remap for the 100 and 125 ps is the same it works on both versions and they both end up 137ps

I am talking about looking at the car in a dealer's show room/line-up/advertisement to identify the engine. Nothing too involved!

Think I might be on to one in Yorkshire, which is available in early 2014. Will see what Santa says...

MQ

Oh you can check under the bonnet the 100 ps has 100 stamped on the turbo and the other has 120. From the outside the only way would be to use the reg on say money supermarket insurance quotes don't get a quote just start the process and when you enter the reg it'll tell you what hp/ps the car is...

Confirmed by a tuning company, the only difference is by software. Theyre physically the same :)

There should be a sticker on the drivers door that'll say what the engine power output is.

Confirmed by a tuning company, the only difference is by software. Theyre physically the same :)

Thank you for confirming my post (no2) - it is appreciated

It makes sense as the 100PS and 125PS engines are made on the same production line, and phisically identical, and the 100, is a restricted version of the 125, made for "political" or marketing reasons, the "electronic" restriction, and them being phisically identical, saves production costs (only one engine has to be made for 2 or more power outputs)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

The tuning company is wrong. The turbine wheel in the 100PS version is made from an alloy called IN713C and the 125PS version is MARM246. These are both commonly used nickel superalloys. There are some chemistry differences but the strength of the alloys is different and their temperature capabilities are different.

I am unsure of other differences but I know this bit for definite!

Mike

I think you'll find they're actually the same but the 125ps has a longer burst of turbo, 30seconds to be exact. I can't recall the 100Ps turbo time but I found it somewhere some time ago, I'll have a look and repost.

I recently bought one of the 125 Titanium X sport ones you are talking about... Quality car! Very hard to come by..

I test drove the EcoBoost 100 and it was really poor compared to the 125.

When I was looking online I used the

My Car Check app and just fired in the regy which would confirm what engine it was.

Took me about 6 weeks before I found the one with the right spec!

PS I had arguments with a certain well known dealership who were clearly desperate for a sale and we're adamant that one that I was looking at was the 125 when it wasn't! Be careful!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

• 8 months later...

Just been doing some research in to the 100 vs the 125. Is the gearing of the 100 5th the same as the 125 6th? I was hoping the 6th would be a little longer so that the revs would be lower when cruising at 70. looks like they both are between 2500-2600.

I see that with a remap, both engines deliver similar peak performance results, but it seems the 125 has higher torque in the lower revs, both in the standard and remapped profiles. Stock torque at 2k RPM is 120 and 175 respectively (this was using the Bluefin website to get a feel for the engine personality as I have been struggling to find performance graphs elsewhere).

If the 5th in the 100 is the same as the 6th in the 125 I may just go for the 100 to enjoy the lower insurance and greater potential gains from a remap should I choose to do one some time down the line. If they are identical engines then I do wonder why the profiles after a remap still differ unless thats just due to the profiles used in the bluefin devices.

Just been doing some research in to the 100 vs the 125. Is the gearing of the 100 5th the same as the 125 6th? I was hoping the 6th would be a little longer so that the revs would be lower when cruising at 70. looks like they both are between 2500-2600.

I see that with a remap, both engines deliver similar peak performance results, but it seems the 125 has higher torque in the lower revs, both in the standard and remapped profiles. Stock torque at 2k RPM is 120 and 175 respectively (this was using the Bluefin website to get a feel for the engine personality as I have been struggling to find performance graphs elsewhere).

If the 5th in the 100 is the same as the 6th in the 125 I may just go for the 100 to enjoy the lower insurance and greater potential gains from a remap should I choose to do one some time down the line. If they are identical engines then I do wonder why the profiles after a remap still differ unless thats just due to the profiles used in the bluefin devices.

125 only has a 5speed... and reverse lol

2nd gear goes to 60mph :P not saying thats what you should change it at but hey ho

And i get roughly 63-64mpg on a 70mph streak but depends on many factors to be honest and road condition

i had a shot in the 100ps version which was a great car but the 125 feels better

and the lower insurance thing ....... they dont really look at the BHP all they really see is a 3 cylinder 1.0 litre ecoboost (my theory)

i have bushiness and personal insurance and had quotes for both models ..... the 125 was £2 different per year ........

• Like 1

125 only has a 5speed... and reverse lol

Ah ok, dont know where I read different then. I've been reading so many reviews and forums my head is turning to mush.

Ah ok, dont know where I read different then. I've been reading so many reviews and forums my head is turning to mush.

no worries bud :)

• 1 year later...

As you can see there's quite a difference between 100ps 5th and 125ps 6th also the 125ps 5th has lower ratio than the 100ps 5th.

The torque/ power graphics show the exact difference between the two so there's nothing I can comment about.

Have a good one ;)

image.png

image.png

12 hours ago, L1V1US said:

As you can see there's quite a difference between 100ps 5th and 125ps 6th also the 125ps 5th has lower ratio than the 100ps 5th.

The torque/ power graphics show the exact difference between the two so there's nothing I can comment about.

Have a good one ;)

The data you have provided is for the Focus ecoboost....not the Fiesta ecoboost.

• Like 1

125ps 6th? I'm missing a gear somewhere.

It's blood* good though, better than my 1985-2001 MKII XR2.

Specially 1 up. Terrific. Plus, it drives like a go-cart.

I'll wash it this year, honest.

• Like 1

On 19 July 2016 at 8:16 AM, L1V1US said:

Have a good one ;)

image.png

image.png

Wow, talk about digging up an old post just to prove a point, lol 

• 3 years later...

Ok, so just bought a new active 100ps. So what is the actual engine difference? I can bluefin or chip the 100 to 140 but the standard 140 goes up to nearly 180 so why can't I just put the 180 straight in? 

29 minutes ago, Jimbo NI said:

Ok, so just bought a new active 100ps. So what is the actual engine difference? I can bluefin or chip the 100 to 140 but the standard 140 goes up to nearly 180 so why can't I just put the 180 straight in? 

You won't get 180bhp from a standard Ecoboost. You'll need to change some parts to get more than the 145 bhp bluefin would give you.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club