Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Loud Squeaking Noise Coming From My Car, What Could It Be?

Emily

Hi all,

I started my car this morning and there was a noticable squeak coming from it. I reversed down my drive and it became a little louder. At this point decided it probably wasn't a good idea to use the car so drove back onto my drive and the squeaking noise became very loud.

Does anyone know what this could be?

I own a Ford FIesta Finnese 53 plate, there are 34,000 miles on the clock.

Had been working perfectly to my knowledge the last few days, came on very suddenly!

Thanks for any help

It Could be a worn Belt , and damp weather making it slip , lift the bonnet and start the car and listen for the area (Don't put your hands in there) , you should get a general idea where it's coming from. Or record the noise and put it on youtube for us to listen too

Could be a belt slipping slightly.

This usually isn't much to worry about but worth getting a new belt or the tensioner tightened..

Without hearing it I can't add much more

just been to further investigate the noise, turned the engine on and listened as you suggested and no noise, put the car in reverse and then noticed the left wheel started moving and then stopped as if it was sticking. looks like the problem is something around the wheel area the gap between the top of the wheel on the left is only about 1cm and the right side there is a much bigger gap (normal distance)

Can you get some photos , sounds like something may have callapsed , maybe a broken spring

here is the picture of the left side wheel. from this do you think it could be a spring? Im hoping its not that the whole suspension has gone!

When making your post Select more options , then at the bottom you can see there is attach files , select the file , then select arrach file , wait for it to upload then you will see the file and click add to post

Hmmm it seems there is a lot less clearance on that side than the other!

I think Preee's suggestion of a broken spring may be correct

Looks like a Spring or Shock Absorber might have gone, try pushing the front down a bit if it moves and returns to its current position quickly it will be the spring, if you have the road side jack in the boot or another jack you could just lift that corner up, if its the spring it will keep in contact with the ground for a lot longer than usual and probably a piece of the broken spring will fall out, i just had a front spring go, took the fiesta to get a new cam belt, just as i parked it outside the garage and got out it went ping and dropped down like that, if it happens to be the spring just make sure to have both fronts changed otherwise you wont ride exactly level and the other side may break as well

Just wanted to say a big thank you to you all here for the help.

I have just spoken to my local mechanic who has had a look and as you all suggested it is a broken spring. So I should now be having it towed to his garage and fixed tomorrow.

Thanks again

Emily :)

Its good you found out the problem and i hope its a cheap fix :)

Looks like a Spring or Shock Absorber might have gone, try pushing the front down a bit if it moves and returns to its current position quickly it will be the spring, if you have the road side jack in the boot or another jack you could just lift that corner up, if its the spring it will keep in contact with the ground for a lot longer than usual and probably a piece of the broken spring will fall out, i just had a front spring go, took the fiesta to get a new cam belt, just as i parked it outside the garage and got out it went ping and dropped down like that, if it happens to be the spring just make sure to have both fronts changed otherwise you wont ride exactly level and the other side may break as well

Good advice. I didn't know of this at the time until mine went. my spring snapped a few weeks back so I only changed the one that broke. Needless to say about a week or 2 later the other side went. Apparently it's a common fault on the fiesta for the springs to go??

Seems common, although I was reading it was a bad batch from the end of 03 to 04 but perhaps you had a couple, it doesn't help that the stock tyres are so big, 195\50 on mine certainly shakes the springs and shocks about a bit.

The problem we all have is the poor state of our roads with pot holes and sleeping policemen all over the place , when i had a rear spring fail on a car i had it was like a shot gun going off lol.