Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clicking Noise Coming From Passenger Side Wheel Area?

Shannon Sloan

I have a clicking kind of noise coming from my passenger side wheel area. The frequency of the noise will increase as I speed up.

Anyone have any idea what this could be?

I drive a 2010 Fiesta Titanium with a Zetec S body kit.

hey might seem daft but have you checked your tyre for a nail or a stone??

Yeah I've checked the tyre for stones/nails, I wish it was a simple fix!

Sounds like a bearing. Better getting it checked out sooner rather than later. I had the same and one day I was on my way down to England and my steering suddenly started going all over the place. Pulled up and phoned RAC and right enough the clicking Boise I'd been hearing was one of my bearings. RAC bloke reckoned if I'd got to the motorway the wheel wouldve ended up flying off ripping god knows what else off with it

I'm going to get it looked at tomorrow (and hopefully fixed), will it still be safe enough to drive to and from work until tomorrow?

It's not really advisable to drive , without knowing the full details of what the problem is , you could of course take it really steady if its a short journey.

The noise does not stop when breaking nor does it matter if I'm turning or not, even when driving in a straight line it happens.

It sounds sort of like if you ran a stick along a metal fence, if that makes sense?

Definitely sounds like a wheel bearing

If it is a bearing is it easily fixed? And would you be able to get a new bearing over the weekend? Or would it have to be ordered from ford?

if it is indeed a bearing, its certainly dangerous to drive in my opinion. a bit of wear in a bearing will produce a low grumbling noise and will progressively get worse.

for it to be clicking (which i have never come across yet) then something must be broken inside it, whether it be one of the rollers or the cage

bearings can be bought from any motor factors but it will require someone with a press to fit. avoid cheap bearings, they probably wont last long

Ford parts are generally readily available and most garages should be able to get one fairly quickly for you. Normally costs about £100 or so to fix

I believe the genuine front bearing for the mk7 is around £50

Thanks guys, hopefully get it sorted tomorrow when I go to get it checked out!

Don't even know how long I've had this issue, you can't really hear it over the A/C / Radio.

I just took it out for a drive there now and I noticed the noise wasn't there. Is seems that it only becomes apparent after I've been driving for a while?

Weird...

We had the same except from the back on our Fusion, annoying ticking noise that increased with speed - everyone had a look, everything was checked but it still happened so we lived with it - then the rear tyres needed changing and since then the noise disappeared and hasn't returned (about 4 months now) - the tyres had even checked and nothing was stuck/lodged in them, so eitherthere was something stuck that no-one could see and the process of removing the wheel for the tyre change sorted it or there could have been something odd with that tyre!

• 3 years later...

Hi I have a ford Fusion 07 plate since getting my car back from garage 2wks ago after getting left side drivers spring fixed and discs and pads done, it's now making a clicking noise coming from driver's side or the front, it lasts for a couple of seconds then goes away, the clicking happens when I drive down the road then disappears and doesn't happen for the rest of the day, it has also happened when car is in my drive and I start it up, but quickly goes away, any idea what this could be

about 30 years ago on my Vauxhall VX4/90 FD series I had a click from front off side. It did not always do it. It would for a couple of days and then be ok for a couple of days. I just could not find what it was. It was like it for a few thousand miles. then one day the wheel bearing disintegrated leaving the front wheel flopping about. I managed to drive home about 10 miles. The wheel was being held roughly upright by the brake disc within the caliper (fixed not floating calipers on those old cars). If that happened on a modern car with floating brake calipers it could well have been undrivable.